July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Petunia » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:29 pm

Hey everyone! Petunia checking in. I did not have a good week.
Starting weight 273
Week 1 - Stayed the same.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week!!!
Petunia

Postby RiceBurner » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:03 pm

Weight Change: -0.6 pounds

Last Week: 192.0 pounds
This Week: 191.4 pounds

A couple unforced errors lead to a very small loss for the first week. But, I read, that this is a marathon, not a sprint.
RiceBurner

Postby Lucas » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:30 pm

4/27/20: 203.2
5/1/20: 201.8
5/8/20: 200.0
5/15/20: 198.6
5/22/20: 197.8
5/29/20: 196.0
6/5/20 : 193.8
6/12/20: 192.8
6/19/20: 192.6
6/26/20: 191.8
7/3/20: 190.8
7/10/20: 188.8
Change: -2.0

Hi everyone,
I feel like I did pretty good this past week sticking to all 10 points. I did eat fruit more than twice daily on more than one day this past week. Other than this, I stuck to it pretty good and since i have been off work for the past two weeks and stuck at home because of the virus, I am very happy with my results. Time to go back to work next week. Oh, I also went through Jeff Novick's calorie density video again. That is definitely a must see video for anyone who hasn't seen it.
Have a great week! :-D
Lucas

Postby chef16 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:12 pm

Hi!
This is the third time I have tried to post this. I am so sorry if it is posting and I am just not seeing it. I am very lacking when it comes to computers.
My start weight was 274lbs.
Todays weight is 270lbs
I lost 4lbs.
Not having to many problems with the points .Once I figure the posting I will be fine.
Doreen
chef16

Postby Jan Daley » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:30 pm

Hi everyone. I had a very busy week. I did really well this ( my first week ) weight wise. I lost 6 lbs., but I didn't follow all the principles.
1. 0%
2. 100 %
3. 95%
4. 98%
5. 95%
6. 100%
7. 80%
8. 50 %
9. 80%
10. 20%

I have been in an eating frenzy since the start of covid, and the best feeling this week was the fact that I didn't feel like I was going to explode after every meal. I felt very comfortable and in control all week. I love the 50/50 plate, and I loved Jeff's easy meals. They saved me several times. I didn't exercise, but I did a lot of gardening.
Jan Daley

Postby KarenMWL » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:48 am

Weight change from last week: -4 LBS ! I am ecstatic!

MWL Checklist (% compliant):

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 40% compliant

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method? 60% compliant

2) Choose fruit for desert. 80%

3) Reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. 90%

4) Eliminate all animal foods. 75%

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods. 75%

6) Eliminate added oil. 100%

7) Eliminate higher calorie-dense foods (flour products, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, dried fruit). 75%

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (juices & sugary beverages). 100%

9) Eat when hungry until comfortably full. Don't starve & don't stuff. 90%

10) Avoid being sedentary. Aim for 30+ minutes of moderate exercise daily. 20%

General impressions: I love this way of eating. Am just getting started and still getting organized. Gave it a real good shot this week considering my circumstances. Looking forward to getting better each week, and seeing us all succeed!
KarenMWL

Postby SGarcia » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:15 am

weight change is +2! UG.

I have struggled with all 10 points this week. Maybe I need to be more targeted initially.
SGarcia

Postby KDoyler » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:32 am

Last Saturday 4 July I was 150 Lbs
Today Saturday 11 July I'm 148.
I've lost 17Lbs since April, following wfpb way of life. This last week I've had half starch and half non starchy vegetables for meals, oatmeal and fruit for breakfast.
Bread!! That's my weak spot.
On balance, I'm really happy with my progress. I'm never hungry, the food is simple to prepare and the weight is taking care of itself. :-D
KDoyler

Postby carwex » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:55 am

Hello to all the MWL participants and especially to the many newbies,

I have been on the MWL since beginning of April after being on regular McDougall program for 10 years. I really love the MWL and the reasoning behind it. In addition the generous feedback I get from the moderators keeps me coming back.

After reaching goal weight a few weeks ago, I gained 2 pounds this week. I reacted to a challenge emotionally by seeking food to calm down which led to the weight gain. Well, I thought, old habits, what else is new?. Then I referred to the 10 principles to see what I could learn. To my amazement I did not adhere to principles #5 -specifically nuts, nut butters, tahini and tofu- and #7 (namely bread and dried fruits). For some reason this made “my problem” seem more manageable. I realize that improving adherence to these principles is the key.

On the positive side, I have been hanging around this discussion board because I felt I had not fully internalized all the principles even though I lost the weight. In #1 making soup or a salad before a meal seemed like an extra chore. This week I have focused on soup-making and the organization and ingredients that go into it and since it is winter now in Sydney it is a welcome addition to a meal. #10, I have returned to swimming 3 times a week and the gym twice a week. My husband and I also walk together during the week. I'm feeling stronger and fitter.

Wishing everyone a safe and healthy week.
carwex

Postby Joanne_elon » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:17 am

I posted yesterday but dont see it. My apologies if appears twice, or in the wrong place.
Down 2 and a half pounds. Yay!
Had a great first week. Stayed mostly compliant..
I did have a few raisins, 4 or 5 crackers (Over 2 days) Marys gone crackers
2/3 cup mango juice, used up almond milk in oatmeal.
The worst offense was amond milk with added chocolate syrup. Only did that once!

Feel good ...been walking 2 or 3 miles daily.

Starting to crave Fruits and vegetable,

Congratulations to everyone's successes.

Love knowing ....If I stay with eating this way..I will
continue to grow HEALTHY!! Joanne. :)
Joanne_elon

Postby jenniferhopeful_ » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:08 am

Good morning.

I weighed 145 after this week, so three pounds down. Glad to see the needle move. I have done well but not perfect. First, after a stressful last year I've have been eating unGodly amounts of food, so I feel like I still am eating too much. Other trip ups: sprinkling some salt on my potatoes and occasionally putting a dash in my oatmeal. Also, I did have 3 pieces of Ezekiel sesame bread this week (with lentil and kale soup :-D ). And, I havea terrible time eating my cereal without soy milk on top. It's like I can't bring myself to do it. Finally, my new habit of cycling was less than usual due to company from out of town and weather.

Strong points: I have had no added sugars and stopped eating raisins by the handfuls. Outside of the 3 pieces of ezekiel bread and soy milk I haven't had a morsel of processed food, unless you count brown rice and old fashioned oatmeal. Super clean eating, and lower fat than normal. I ordered something called Piano In A Flash, and have learned a number of songs over the week. I sound like I'm in 4th grade band at the beginning of the school year, but I am really enjoying it and it's something to do outside of eating and fooling around in the kitchen that is relaxing and something different, engaging, etc...which is good, bc I need something to keep me out of the kitchen. I have lacked in cardio this week, but have done some extra weights. I've been listening to more vegan/intergrative medicine podcasts as well as church sermons on my iPhone while I'm cleaning house, driving to work, etc...Keeps me more mindful and it isn't the near intolerable Negative News.

So, I feel like I am on the right track and highly motivated for change.

Currrent Plan for the next week: I need to reduce my intake ( eating till I am overstuffed), cut out the bread and soy milk, and increase my exercise. I feel like I am able to do those things. Now just the execution.... :duh:

Looking forward to reading how others are doing and any ideas they might have.
jenniferhopeful_

Postby TeriGG » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:19 am

I am down 2 pounds as of today. :-) We started the week with holiday, a birthday party on Monday, and birthday party today so it's been a challenging week and I haven't been perfect. But I'm working on it.

Getting ready to host my grandson's party shortly, so this will be quick. I'm going to update and add my stats to the post later.
:-)

216.0 7/11/2020
TeriGG

Postby Zoey » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:28 am

Looks like lots of successes this week. Good job, everyone!

I'll try to keep my post short.
Last week: 152.8
Today: 151.6

I'm thrilled with the 1.2 drop this week.

No problems on checkpoints other than drinking my calories, which I am still minimizing every week. Down to a splash of wine in my sparkling water at night. Waking up hydrated instead of dehydrated also keeps me from devouring half a watermelon in the morning, too. Win, win!

Thanks for the encouragement Mark, Wildgoose, Jeff, and all MWLosers. :D
Zoey

Postby Sherr61 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:29 am

Friday 7-10-2020

Weigh In

Starting Weight 172 lbs
Current Weight 169.0 lbs. -.02
Total Weight Loss 3 lbs
No change in body fat still at 39-40%

I feel like I am still in gearing up mode. Lots of hard physical work and transitioning the last bits of my refrigerator and pantry. I can't afford to throw things out. My income is very small and so I don't believe in wasting food. By comparison to most SAD kitchens, mine is vegan, so the fine tuning for me is in dining out habits.
I was 75% compliant. I did have drinks in the evening and a few dinners out in which I ate cheese and meat twice. It's hard because going out is a treat and like I said there is one, only one restaurant in my area. It's a fun place because it's on a lake with a dock and has a great view... just not much or anything compliant for food. I have spoken to the owner, but it will take time as it's a small kitchen geared up for ATVers, Snowmobile people, etc.
This week I will work on the full 10 point checklist with vigilance!
Where I am doing well is in cooking ahead for some meals, so that there's something to eat when I am tired and hungry ready to go. Because I like to be prepared; I have 25lbs each of dried lentils, chickpeas and split peas. So I rotate my legumes and make a big pot of SNAP to have ready. My SNAP is rotated on a base of potatoes, rice, and whole grain pasta. I like Dellalo as it's a very simple and “meaty” pasta. Breakfast is primarily in the warm months raw oats, barberries, banana with cinnamaon and unsweetened almond milk. So it's not all doom and gloom with me... more a fine tuning of habits.
As I've said before, live way up north and the great news is that my local organic farm is finally selling! They grow the BEST Kale ever! So my SNAP meals are good to go. I am in the greens again.
Where I live produce in the winter is organic frozen veggies (no fancy grocers up here)... so fresh organic local produce back now is WONDERFUL.
Onward...
Sherr61

Postby avanburen » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:32 am

Last week 258.6
This week 256.0
Change -2.6

I struggled this week due to my lack of preparation really. I realize now that I need to get A LOT more leafy greens and yellow/green vegetables. It is too hot for soup so I had been starting out my meals with salad but I ran out midweek. I also attended a last minute small 4th of July gathering at a friends house where I indulged in a veggie burger on a roll and a couple cocktails! Going forward I should probably eat in advance so I won't succumb to temptation as easily.
avanburen

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program