July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby RWWWW » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:17 am

Good morning everyone. This is my second post. I lost 2 lbs this week, pretty good for the first week. I did struggle with binging on non-complaint foods. I think the key for me is going to be meal planning, and making a batch or two of healthy soups to have ready to go. Evenings are the hardest for me. Wish me luck!!!! Rob
RWWWW

Postby AnnieB20 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:31 am

Good morning! I lost 2 pounds this week
Last week: 144
Today: 142

My biggest challenge is wanting to eat late in the evening. I did great all day, but ate too close to bedtime. I will focus on that this week.
AnnieB20

Postby pootsy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:31 am

I need to post quick...in the midst of another family hospitalization crisis but trying to make time for myself.
Lost 2#
Struggling along, mostly because I am not consistently home. Cut up carrots and celery in water in my fridge have been my grab snack.
Did a couple of snap meals and a nice couscous with sautéed (in broth) mushrooms and spinach.
More next week. Good luck to all ! Life on life's terms I guess :(
pootsy

Postby Brynn » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:45 am

Weight change: -1.2lbs
Points from MWL checklist where I succeed: I had the most success with eliminating all animal foods, not drinking my calories, starting each meal with a salad/fruit, and following the 50/50 plate method. I have been able to reduce my added sugars and higher calorie-dense foods, however I would like to continue to reduce these this week.
Points from MWL checklist that need greater attention: This week I would like to focus on reducing my sugar intake more, eliminating higher fat plant foods, as well as added oils and higher calorie-dense foods. I would also like to increase my movement this week and aim for at least 30 minutes of active movement.
Impressions and observations: I have noticed that my motivation to participate in this often moves up and down throughout the day. I will start the day off feeling motivated and do well with lunch, and by the time I come home from work, I am more likely to indulge in foods with added sugars, oils, or higher calorie-dense foods. I believe this means that I need to focus on satisfying my hunger cues and especially having a small snack before I go home from work so it will hold me over until dinner is ready.
Brynn

Postby lauradwight » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:03 am

Here is my weigh-in, one day late: 186
A 1 lb loss. I still struggle with emotional eating but feel I am doing better than last week.

Laura Dwight
lauradwight

Postby laurag » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:21 am

Weight down 1 lb! So 136

Started walking more regularly, adding a veggies dish or soup salad pre meal did well did well on staying away from fast food I'm talking to u impossible wopper!

Candy like orange slices really have to try to stay off also husband has peanuts around ,had some so need to work on that

Still trying to work on night behaviors I started something new just have same dinner it's my favorite anyway rice and beans with cabbage salsa cilantro (pickled onions alla plantiful kiki on utube ) and broccoli to start or I made a soup

Cheers everyone! It's the food! Hello all the new people u r in right place this is it!
laurag

Postby Growing a Pear » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:52 am

Net rolling average this week: -0.3#
SW this week: 149.6#
CW: 149.3#
GW: ~135#

The scale didn't budge much, but I can see actual rib striations now. Hopefully next week will be a bigger loss but I'll still take it. I feel my behaviors are shifting in the right direction.

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Doing better at this using gazpacho, SNAP-type soups, and fruit with my oatmeal. (I like to volume eat, so I've also been adding carrots or chopped spinach to my oatmeal in addition to fruit.)

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals. :-D

2) Choose fruit for dessert. :-D

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. :-D

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :-D

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). See #7.

6) Eliminate any added oil. :-D

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Did without my off-plan Clif bar for 6 of 7 days, then indulged when I received terrible news about a family member. Am back on track now. I'm overeating fresh fruit as a way to satisfy my sweet tooth. Will work actively on cutting that back this week and reaching for more vegetables

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :-D

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Getting better about this. If anything, I'm undereating at meals and being caught hungry, then going for the fruit.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Active 6 of 7 days and did better with resistance training. Would still like to have the latter be more formal than the squats and such I do throughout the day to break up my job's sedentary streaks. Also bought a skipping rope to try to ward off osteoporosis as per Ltldog's post in the Lounge. Intend to experiment with that.

ETA: My thanks to Mark, Wildgoose, andJeffN. I read all the posts and am internalizing this at a different level than before. Your efforts are appreciated!
I just want to emphasize: It is the QUALITY of the food, not the QUANTITY. You are guaranteed success when following a starch-based and a simple diet. Monotony can be a key helper. ~Dr. John McDougall
Growing a Pear

Postby jillybean » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:14 am

Last week I tried to post but had internet issues. I was down 5.1 lbs but believe much of that was due to a stomach issue I was having. This week I am down 1.1 lbs and have had success with most of the 10 guidelines. I am having internet issues again so will hopefully post more next week.
jillybean

Postby Noella » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:44 am

Weight Change -1 lb.
Success with the MWL guidelines:
1) Start each meal with soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
This habit means that every meal includes a variety of vegetables, more than I have eaten before so I am sure to be getting better nutrition than ever! Plus having two courses is satisfying.
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.
This habit means I eat lots of low calorie/high nutrient vegetables.
Choose fruit for dessert.
This habit means I enjoy a couple servings of fruit every day.
3) Reduce or Eliminate added sugars. This includes gourmet sugars. If it is troublesome for you, eliminate sugar completely. Reduce or Eliminate salt. This includes Himalayan salt and other gourmet seasonings with salt. If salt is troublesome for you, eliminate it completely.
This habit means I’m cooking without added salt or sugar. I do sometimes add a sprinkle of salt or sugar at the table.
4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, poultry, eggs, fish, seafood).
This habit means animal products are no longer appetizing to me. I now prefer starchy and non starchy vegetable and fruit.
5) Eliminate all high fat plant foods (nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
This habit means I do not include these in my personal meals although I do put these on the table for others to enjoy!
6) Eliminate any added oil.
This habit means that I prefer the taste of food without added oil and fat.
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (especially bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, rice cakes, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
This habit means I choose whole food.
8) Don’t drink your calories (especially smoothies, juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
This habit means I choose water. For special occasions I enjoy Pelligrino.
9) Follow these principles, eating when you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
This habit reminds me to use my common sense and eat a sensible quantity of food.
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
This habit is making me stronger! Thank you!

I am inspired by everyone’s posts. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to share your MWL experiences each week. :nod:

Best regards,
Noella
Noella

Postby Drew* » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:13 pm

Weight change on Friday: 177.8 lb …-.2 lb

Success: I made a great batch of JeffN’s mix X 3 with added beans (one can), 2 boil-in-the-bag rice pouches, and a 1 lb bag of extra California Blend and some peas and collards. So far, I have Jogged 3 X for 40 minutes, used the stationary bike for 30 minutes, and done 30 minutes of strenuous yoga.

Challenges. What can I say? I snack and drink a bit on Friday and Saturdays and sometimes reach for the crackers that belong to another household member (and end up buying more for the household member). There are other shortcomings that I could mention, but these are enough!

Going forward: As noted by Mark last week in response to me, this is a one day at a time process. Just because I failed yesterday to reach the goal does not mean that I fail from here on out.
Drew*

Postby texaslil » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:24 pm

Hi Everyone!

This is my first weighin on this forum and I'm happy to be a part of this group!

I lost .4 lbs this week, not what I hoped for but I'm still feeling good as I have lost an overall 8.2lbs since June 1st A huge accomplishment for me as I have been struggling with weighloss for 18 years!

Looking at the MWL guidelines, there are many areas I know I can improve on, here is how I did this week:

Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit: THIS IS HIT OR MISS, I GET A LITTLE CONFUSED WITH THIS SINCE IF I START MY MEAL WITH SOUP OR SALAD, I DON'T WIND UP EATING MY MEAL, WHICH SEEMS LIKE A WASTE, ANY THOUGHTS ON THAT? IS IT THE POINT TO NOT EAT THE MEAL YOU PREPARED?
Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals: CHECK
Choose fruit for dessert: CHECK. I sometimes have a banana smoothie with PB2, it tastes so good, I feel like it couldn't be good for you, any thoughts on PB2?? Compliant?
Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. CHECK
Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). CHECK
Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). HAD A LITTLE TOFU IN SPRING ROLLS
Eliminate any added oil. MOSTLY, EXCEPT FOR A LITTLE IN PIZZA CRUST
Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), ALL BUT PIZZA CRUST ABOVE
Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). CHECK
Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.UNFORTUNATELY, I TYPICALLY EAT UNTIL JUST STUFFED
Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 4 DAYS THIS WEEK
texaslil

Postby MDavidson » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:43 pm

Greetings! This was a good week.

63 y.o. female 2.4 pounds lost
Thanks for providing this forum.
What went well? - I managed to follow the guidelines this week.
What do I need to work harder on? - Getting regular exercise.
Insights - I feel better, not as sluggish. I also have a great deal of energy.
MDavidson

Postby ukeplayer » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:01 pm

- .6lbs this week.
I started many (not all) of my meals with fruit/salad. Drastically cut down tahini but didn’t eliminate 100% in my hummus, otherwise cut out all nut butters. Need to work on the 50/50 starch/greens, tend to take a little more starch at the end of the meal if I’m hungry. I also have not been exercising this week, it’s very hot and humid down south here and getting out to walk is abysmal!
ukeplayer

Re: Reporting for July 10 Weigh-In is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:03 pm

The window for reporting this week's weigh-in and behavioral results has officially closed.

The remainder of my replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for July 10 - Part 2

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:23 pm

This is the second half of my responses to the reports for our July 10 Weigh-In. The first half is linked below.

Mark's Replies for July 10 - Part 1

rsmith0809 - Holidays and celebrations often do present some hurdles, and it can take some time and effort to get back on track. Keep concentrating on making improvements where you see the opportunity, and surmounting challenges as they arise - it will get easier and easier as you accumulate adherent days.

K-Squared - That is a fantastic job sticking to adherent food choices throughout this week of vacation - really well done! I imagine it feels really nice to "visit" the 150s! Maintain that vigilant focus, and before you know it you'll be climbing right down out of the 150s headed toward the next milestone! :D

DaisyJ - Nice start! Not getting derailed by that anniversary-inspired detour, and getting right back to focusing on the guidelines now is the most fruitful approach. Keep making those improvements, where and as you are able.

Renestl - That one pound loss is still movement in the right direction! Planning and preparation can be SO helpful for successfully navigating holiday celebrations and other social occasions, where temptations often abound. Great work taking care not to drink you calories, that isn't always easy during festivities! Keep moving toward where you want to be.

Aussiefruitygirl - Hi! You reported in the right place. You've made a good start, and I'm glad you are happy with your progress. Do your best to eliminate those calorie dense foods, and work toward any other appropriate changes highlighted by the checklist - shoot for ongoing improvement from day to day, as well as week to week.

veganvic - Don't let a single weigh-in result color how you view your progress, I'm sure doing "much better" was not easy! Focus some extra attention on not drinking any calories, eliminate those remaining calorie rich foods, and keep hitting the other guidelines and you'll achieve the results you are seeking over time.

Dot - Kudos for that nice loss! You seem to have made excellent progress in you shift from the regular McDougall plan to MWL. Keep doing what you are doing, and chipping away, making those valuable little changes in your daily routine where you see the opportunity. :thumbsup:

Busy-B - :) I'm sure it was an honest misunderstanding, considering the guidelines have been updated. I would kindly request, in continuing with the group, that you direct your efforts toward following the program as defined by the MWL Guidelines and MWL 10-Point Checklist, as written. Keep in mind, we are in this for a long-term, durable solution that you can live with and live well with, not short term weight loss. Rapid results aren't always best (or lasting), and the current guidelines offer the best chance for success.

LLee - That does look like a really nice week! Give yourself a big pat on the back for taking a pass on those breakroom troublemakers!

simon - Sorry your daughter was feeling ill, that always makes for a challenging week in our house, as well. Those calorie rich processed vegan foods rarely fail to make their presence felt. Now that you habits have been "mended," are there any steps you can take to make things easier for maintaining adherence the next time a hurdle presents itself?

Ejg - Thanks for checking in! Slow, steady progress has definite merits. If you are successfully adhering to the MWL 10-Point Checklist, with the only concern being the lure of seasonal fruit, it makes sense not to beat yourself up about that. Do the best you can, trying to be mindful not to stuff yourself or get uncomfortably full.

GreenGables - It is the right move to temper any disappointment stemming from a single point of data from the scale, often there are positive developments happening, but yet to be captured by our method of measurement. I can understand, when faced with a medical concern, the need to work within the direction provided by your physician. With respect to salt, it is possible you are acting in the spirit of the guidelines; keep in mind -
JeffN wrote:- Salt, Sugar
We are not a S-S free program. We only ask you to reduce the amount to a true condiment, and to just sprinkle it on your food at the table. You don't have to eliminate them if they are not a problem for you. Understand that for many people, the real issue is not sugar (or salt) per se, but how they are consumed and with what company. Most sugar is consumed as liquid calories (sugar sweetened beverages, sports and energy drinks) or as part of ultra processed highly palatable food (donuts, cupcakes, brownies, etc). Same with salt. Most all the salt we consume is in the form of ultra processed foods.
Most people find that when they eliminate the sugar filled liquid calories and the ultra processed foods that are high in sugar, salt and are also high in fat and calorie density, they can use salt and/or sugar as a condiment without a problem
Great job making your environment serve you goals! Do the best you can, within the context of you current physical challenges. Eat plenty of starch, and keep taking those baby steps forward, where you are able. :)

Cinderoli - Another nice loss! Those cravings will pass with time. Is there some particular consideration standing in the way of eliminating that "mist" of added oil? On "true" hunger -
JeffN wrote:You don’t have to figure it out or work out it. Only follow the guidelines. When hungry (regardless of whether you may think it is true hunger, appetite, or something else) just eat. Eat of the recommended foods as outlined in the 10 point checklist.

Over time, it will work itself out.

MaryE - That sounds like a good 1st week, indeed! If you feel able, perhaps try reducing, then eliminating the almond milk in that tea. Batch cooking is a great way to make adherence more easy to maintain. On to another week!

Gimmelean - Kudos! Enjoy that great home exercise routine! I totally agree that avoiding dining out can be immensely helpful for keeping on track. Keep that positive pattern of behavior going!

NatalieJ - Hi! Social engagements seem to offer a pretty stark food environment - sometimes the only good solution is bringing your own adherent options or eating a meal in advance of socializing, but that can be a big adjustment to make. Just do your best.

Lachoffman - I have to imagine you are encouraged by those results! Enjoying the food is such an important part of the plan. In regard to being hungry,
JeffN wrote:On hunger...

The fundamental basic principle of the MWL Program and the principles of calorie density is "whenever hungry, eat until comfortably full of the recommended foods." Because of this, there is no reason for anyone to feel hungry when following our guidelines. The recommended foods are minimally processed starches, fruits and vegetables. The most satiety, short term and long term comes from minimally processed starches and to keep the calorie density low, have them with some non-starchy vegetables. Remember, we do not have to figure out if it is true hunger, appetite, craving, etc. However, to be successful, you have to prepare for success and make sure you have availability of minimally processed starches throughout the day.

At the 10-Day program, the snack room is full of veggies (cherry tomatoes, baby carrots), fruits (apples, oranges) and starches (regular hummus, roasted red pepper hummus, potatoes, Split pea soup, Black bean soup, and Lentil Couscous soup). People choose from both the starches and fruits/vegetables. Choosing just vegetables or fruit will not be enough for most people to feel satiated. if you experience cravings for unhealthy foods, you can beat these cravings by choosing healthy foods to eat and knowing that these cravings will eventually pass and stop. However, you can not beat your biology (hunger) and your biology/hunger will eventually win.

philmwl - Great week and great job proving to yourself that you can maintain these behaviors on into the future! Be sure to eat whenever you feel hungry, and do the best you can not to stuff yourself, but try not to fret too much over the "right" portion size, as long as you are following the guidelines. :D

OrangeBird - When the outcome of a specific goal feels strongly uncertain, I think it can be a natural response to procrastinate a bit. Sometimes, taking even the smallest step toward that goal can help renew motivation; or, reassessing what the overall goal ought to be might make sense.

Petunia - Sorry your week didn't seem good to you. Do you think anything in particular made it so? A review and focus on the fundamental guidelines can be a productive path out of a difficult week. :)

RiceBurner - Progress is progress! Unforced errors can be a great opportunity to strengthen our practice for the future. Slow and steady wins the race in the end. :nod:

Lucas - Woot! You're down nearly 15 lbs since the end of April! Happy results, for sure! I couldn't agree more that Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer is a definite must see video.

chef16 Third time's a charm, Doreen! On plan with no problems is great to hear! Keep at it.

Jan Daley - Nice loss! I'm sure feeling comfortable and in control all week made for some very pleasant days. Keep improving where you can, tackling the checklist points in an either/or fashion at each meal. Our sense when summoning a "percent" of adherence probably doesn't capture the situation entirely, as small amounts of certain foods can contribute much more heavily than one might expect. Jeff discusses this is more detail in The Myth of Moderation Pt 3: Is Your Diet Exceptional? Just try to make a straightforward assessment, not expecting yourself to be perfect, but doing as well as you are able in a given situation. :)

KarenMWL Congratulations! I'm sure you are feeling ecstatic! It is great that you are loving this WOE; giving our best shot within a given set of circumstances is all we can reasonably expect of ourselves. Getting better each week leads inevitably toward success. It is helpful to think of the points from the MWL 10-Point Checklist in a binary fashion - did I adhere to this point or not? Don't aim for being perfect, but when focusing on a particular point try to see the steps that will move you toward being adherent to that point, and put them into action as you are able.

SGarcia - Making these changes is really hard! If the entire checklist has you overwhelmed, targeting some key points might be a way to get things rolling. An initial approach might be to eliminate animal foods, added oils, liquid calories, and other calorie dense foods, and just do what you are able with everything else. Be as compassionate with yourself as you can. :)

KDoyler - Way to go shedding 17 lbs since April! You should be happy with your progress! Bread often presents a significant temptation, since it is typically a leading contributor of salt, as well as being calorie rich. I think one of the best things about MWL is how the weight "takes care of itself," when we follow the guidelines. :thumbsup:

carwex - Thank you so much for openly and honestly sharing your experiences of a challenging week! I think there is great value in the realization that even the most seasoned veterans of this lifestyle can be thrown for a loop by an unexpected change in circumstance. The key when that happens, as you observe, is a calm, present return to the fundamental principles and pattern of behavior that has delivered the outstanding outcomes you've accumulated. Wishing you a safe and healthy week, as well.

Joanne_elon - YAY! I'm sure that 2.5 lbs loss has you feeling very happy, indeed! Now it is just a matter of reducing, and ultimately eliminating, that handful of deviations. Keeping a journal can definitely be a very helpful tool - keep at it.

jenniferhopeful_ - Always pleasant seeing that needle move in the desired direction! Not aiming for perfection, but trying to do the best you can is an appropriate approach. Keep in mind a sprinkle of salt on the surface of your food is acceptable within the guidelines. Excellent adjustment in eliminating most calorie rich foods, omit the bread and soy milk, add some more activity, and you'll be 10/10! Having goals that feel attainable is a big step toward success, now for the execution. :thumbsup:

TeriGG - Congratulations! What an obstacle course of challenging occasions to face in a single week! Keep on working on improving each day. I wish your grandson a very Happy Birthday!

Zoey - Another thrilling report! Having nearly everything squared away is a great space to occupy. It feels like you've come a long way from your starting point, right? Protect that momentum and keep building on it. :thumbsup:

Sherr61 - Making the transition to this new pattern of behavior can be a major adjustment, so it make sense that might require a lot of "gearing up." You've made what I imagine is a big shift already, and now that you are stocked up and better prepared, you can give the totality of the MWL 10-Point Checklist your vigilant attention. Just to clarify, for MWL, oats should be cooked in water in a ratio of at least 2 parts water to 1 part oats (I prefer 3:1 myself). Dry rolled oats are ~1700 calories / lb, so consuming them without further cooking in water would not be recommended for MWL. To provide some further perspective - if those same oats are cooked in water (with a ratio of at least 2 parts water to 1 part oats), suddenly the calorie density changes from that scary ~1700 calories / lb, to a very nearly ideal ~300 calories / lb and an excellent rating in satiety as well! So oatmeal is a great choice for MWL, just not the dry oats. I had some delicious local kale this morning myself - Enjoy! Onward!

avanburen - Hang in there! Adequate preparation is definitely a key part of the puzzle, and the volume of non-starchy vegetables consumed in the practice of MWL can be a big change from previous habits. Eating an adherent meal in advance of celebrations or social engagements is a great idea!

RWWWW - That does seem like an encouraging result for your first week! I would agree that meal planning and batch cooking make adherence much easier to attain and maintain. When struggling with binging and cravings for troublesome foods, it can be particularly important to be mindful that you are eating of the recommended foods whenever you are hungry, until comfortably full. Best of luck to you!

AnnieB20 - Nice loss! It might be worth trying to eat a bit more (or more often) earlier in the day if you feel at all hungry, being sure you're including adequate starch each time you eat, to help with being hungry nearer bedtime.

pootsy - I'm so sorry to hear you are faced with another medical crisis! Take care of yourself, keep doing your best, and try to make sure you're including an adequate amount of starch, whenever you can. Facing challenging life events as they come often isn't easy, but what is the alternative, right? :)

Brynn - That is great progress! I think the areas you are highlighting for focus in the coming week will keep that momentum going. As Dr. Lisle explains in The Story of Willpower – What it Is & How it Works, our willpower can be greatly influenced by hunger and blood glucose level, so your instinct that you should focus on satisfying your hunger is correct - be sure that end of work snack / meal includes starch, as well.

lauradwight - Down a pound! :D I'm glad you feel like this week was an improvement from the last; what things might you do to make next week even better (and easier) still? When it feels like you're dealing with emotional eating, what foods are you choosing to eat?

laurag - Another pound down! And 12 lbs total, unless I'm mistaken! Way to go saying NO to the fast food! I often eat the same or very similar meals from day to day, as well - it's a great way to keep things simple and easy. Keep making those improvements!

Growing a Pear - Excellent attention to the recommendations and a big :thumbsup: to you for breaking that Clif bar habit on all but that single occasion! Positive outcomes can build gradually and sometimes come in fits and starts, but trust the process and focus on behavior, if you keep doing that consistently the weight will take care of itself in the end.

jillybean - You seem to have made a great start! Having success with most of the guidelines isn't a minor achievement! Use the checklist as your guide, and focus your attention on those remaining points that have presented a challenge.

Noella - Congrats on waving goodbye to another pound! That is quite roll call of health-supporting habits! The intentional emphasis you placed on what the guidelines mean with respect to your own choices and the outcomes you are enjoying brought a smile to my face. :D

Drew* - Excellent attention to being physically active! That extra large SNAP batch makes for a great "stockpile" toward which you can turn when the days get hectic or challenging.
Drew* wrote:Just because I failed yesterday to reach the goal does not mean that I fail from here on out.
Just so! It isn't any single day that will make or break our efforts but, rather, the prevailing pattern of behavior we build over time.

texaslil - I'm happy you are a part of this group, too! Congratulations for losing 8.2 lbs since the start of June! The upside to having areas where you know you can improve is that you know exactly where to focus your efforts. :) If that soup or salad includes starch, and leaves you feeling satisfied, it would be fine to make a meal of that. If the starter is only made up of non-starchy vegetables and / or fruits, perhaps try a smaller portion size for that, so you'll still have an appetite for the starch-based component of the meal. The checklist directs us not to drink our calories, so smoothies are not recommended for MWL. The sort of smoothie you describe can be easy to over consume for a variety of reasons.
JeffN wrote:Emulsifying, Pureeing, & Blending
Blending foods disrupts the fiber and reduces the satiety of the food per calorie, making it easier to overconsume the food. On the other hand, chewing food increases satiety. Examples of blended foods on a WFPB diet include smoothies and dried fruit/nut confections.
Jeff's discussion on PB2 is here; since the guidelines tell us to eliminate all higher fat plant foods, it would not be recommended for MWL. I hope that helps clear things up a bit. You've made a great start! Keep working at the areas where you have the opportunity to adhere more closely to the guidelines.

MDavidson - That is great! Increased energy is a wonderful non-scale victory! Is there any particular exercise you've enjoyed in the past?

laura_delao - Kudos! You really have most of the checklist conquered, it seems! Let me just confirm that corn tortillas are relatively calorie dense at ~1000 calories / lb, and they are not recommended for MWL. Is exercise a particular challenge for a specific reason, or is it just a matter of finding the type of exercise you can do and enjoy doing?

ukeplayer - That is significant progress toward the recommended behaviors! Keep using the checklist to assess how you are doing, and make adjustments based on that, trying to do better and better as the days pass.
Mark Cooper

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program