Mary Mini and Easter

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby ReneeK » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:56 pm

I overcame an obstacle this afternoon. I have been plugging away at my desk all day and didn't realize that "lunchtime" had come and gone until I walked into my boss' office at 3 and witnessed him having his afternoon snack. I then realized that I was super-hungry and the thought of my baked potato and steamed veggies sounded terribly unappetizing, not to mention the time it would take to cook the potato. I ran to the convenience store across the street and looked at aisle after aisle of chips and junk food. I came to my senses and walked away with just a soft chocolate chip cookie. I threw the potato and veggies that I had brought in the microwave and savored my chocolate chip cookie while they were cooking. While I have a little guilt over the cookie, I am very much grateful for the fact that I avoided all of the terribly bad choices I could have made were it not for this wonderful lifestyle.

One more thing...I am trying to make plain water more palatable so I'll drink more during the day. My natural foods store carries HINT water, which is wonderfully delicious and refreshing (peppermint especially) but quite expensive at $1.49 for a 16 oz. bottle. In trying to replicate HINT flavors without the cost, I bought one of those little squeeze bottles of RealLime. I'm sure you've seen them. They look like a little plastic lime. I add anywhere between 10-20 drops to a 20 oz bottle of water depending on how "limey" I want it. It's really tasty and has increased my water intake considerably.

KitKat, welcome aboard! I'm glad you're getting the hang of things. My ticker shows pounds lost since starting McD earlier this year, not since starting challenge. I haven't changed it for a while and am kind of waiting until I can have "official" weight change when I visit my dr. I've decided that my bathroom scale likes to generate random numbers rather than actual weight. On any given day, I'm noticing that my clothes are fitting better so something is working.
ReneeK

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:16 pm

Eat nothing white - everyone's doc is telling that lately, it seems. The last person who was telling me this was an overweight lady who was about to have knee surgery and walked with two canes. We were having lunch and she was showing me how much food she got for her money by ordering the deep fried chicken strips plate rather than what the person next to her got on his plate. I forget the details now, but I was eating my baked potato and salad and she couldn't get over how I could eat a potato and lose weight, because her doctor had told her not to eat anything white. I asked her if her chicken breast that was deep fried might qualify as white, but she said that's not what the doctor meant. :?

I actually don't mind that the potato is being maligned, that might make them cheaper!!! :-P Bad for the potato farmers but good for us McDougallers!
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby KitKat » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:57 pm

You did good Reneek, I have a weakness if I get caught somewhere and forget to eat, I get really hungry and I want to pig out on all kinds of candy and junk food. It's like normally I like water fine, but when I get terribly thirsty, and then I crave root beer floats. I can drink two root beer floats, then get a migraine the next day. No fun. But lately I've been good aobut it.

Thanks for the water tip.
KitKat

Cheap potatoes!

Postby KitKat » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:06 pm

Yes potatoes are cheap! And delicious, I love the logic of it. I'm lucky my scale was checked at the doctors so it's accurate - same with the b/p machine.

I knew a woman who had terrible problems with osteoporosis, back pain & slipped discs, and she was a big believer in natural herbs & supplements, but she ate dairy & meat. She was so convinced that you needed dairy for bones, but actually that makes the problem worse. Too bad so much misinformation out there.
KitKat

Postby Sunny » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:19 pm

Here's what I ate today:

B- mashed potatoes

L- baked potato w/ beans

D- mashed potatoes w/ veggies

Snack- banana / carrots

Drink- water

Exercise ~ Gazelle only, too much running around to do. :-D
Lost 2lbs. so far :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Another good day!

Postby havfaith » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:59 pm

B - potato
S - jicama
L - 2 potatoes with salsa
S - banana, fruit popcicle
D - salad, tater tots w/ketchup

And I am nothing if not full right now! :D My best strategy is to have already steamed potatoes on hand so all I have to do is heat them for a couple minutes and they're ready to munch.

KitKat - I see someone already answered your daikon question. I sliced all the veggies for my salads in my food processor but the thicker slices with hummus sound yummy! I'll have to try that. They don't seem to have as much bite as a standard radish (which I like) and it was fairly cheap too. I love putting a variety of veggies in my salads.

ReneeK - Good job! That's what it's all about - making better choices every day. :-D
http://stashingless.blogspot.com/
http://delusionsofdomesticity.blogspot.com/
havfaith

Postby Sunny » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:53 am

KitKat you are so right about misinformation, I see elderly woman in the grocery store hunched over buying 2 gallons of milk at a time, I know they are thinking they can probably reverse this process. :x It makes me mad because there is usually nothing you can say that will change their minds.
BTW, if I did not say it before, welcome to the board it is nice to have you here, seems like you are doing great. :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Postby ReneeK » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:56 am

B: juice; hashbrowns with mustard....my dog was happy because about 1/3 of the pan of hashbrowns ended up on the floor. I tried to get fancy and flip them in the skillet.

S: coffee and clementine tangerine

L: baked potato; steamed zucchini, yellow squash, corn, tomatoes, red onion

D: baked potato with steamed broccoli
ReneeK

Postby Bobbie-Jo » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:29 pm

Hey Everyone!

Down 2.5 lbs, woohoo!

KitKat,
I love the wasabi mustard because it is HOT, HOT, HOT! I love the taste of it, and it makes me eat slowly, so that I don't overeat.

I'm a creature of habit, so I tend to eat the same thing every day when it works.
B - Baked Potato w/unsweetened applesauce & apple pie spice
L - Baked Potato w/salt & pepper plus wasabi mustard for dipping
D - Garlic Mashed with creamed corn
Snacks - Apple and Orange
Bobbie-Jo

checking in!

Postby slimkat » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:11 pm

Hi Challengers!
I'm down 1.4 lbs since Tuesday, and I'm psyched!

Food for today
B Oatmeal and a banana

S Banana

L sushi w/avocado and cucumber (on the run, so no potato)

S ?

D ? -- I think masala potatoes -- mashed potatoes w/onion, curry powder, black mustard seeds, tumeric, some diced carrots, and other veggies
with steamed broccoli and a salad

Keep on keeping on everybody!
We can do this.
I'm engaged, and I'm really thinking about my future husband and our future children together. That helps me get out of the rut.
My health affects his life, the ease of future pregnancies, and my ability to be the best parent and role model I can be for our future kids.

I am committed to embracing optimal health today -- and every day.

Best to all of you!
SlimKat
[/url]
slimkat

Long Day

Postby jmgoforth » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:24 pm

Thursday is always tuff.
We a have a church fellowship.I baked two small botatoes and ate some tomatoes. But is is tuff because everyone is eating sweets ans meat.But I felt great making the right choices.
Evening snack- two small potatoe and a fruit.
Next week-end I have a real challenge. I'm going with several car loads of kids to Aquire the Fire. This will be a challege and I'm not talking about the loss of sleep!
When people ask me what I'm doing I tell them I'm a Daniel Fast. No one seems to argue with me. Either they never read about it in Daniel (Bible) or their are to embrasced to ask. At least I don't get lectures how dangerious it is to just eat starches all day.
What ever floats the boat!
I just finished 40 min on sationary bike. Going to bed. In fact I was in bed and rememered I had not checked in this evening.
I hope by tomorrow to have lost 5 lbs.
In the morning I will spend 5 hours in jail-
visiting inmates that is. Mike
Phi 4:[13 Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.
jmgoforth

Daniel's Diet

Postby jmgoforth » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:30 pm

Dan 10:3 I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.
Dan 10:3 I ate only plain and simple food, no seasoning or meat or wine. I neither bathed nor shaved until the three weeks were up.
Dan 1:12 Prove thy servants, I beseech thee, ten days; and let them give us pulse to eat, and water to drink.
Pulse-vegetable
Dan 1:12 "Try us out for ten days on a simple diet of vegetables and water.
Phi 4:[13 Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.
jmgoforth

Day 3 for me

Postby havfaith » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:30 pm

B - tater tots
S - banana
L - potatoes w/mango peach salsa
S - sugar snap peas, jicama
D - salad, potatoes w/salsa
S - cantaloupe

The mango peach salsa is awesome! SO good over potatoes. :-D
havfaith

Mashed Potato Flakes

Postby annhett » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:39 pm

ReneeK wrote:I realized the need to have things readily prepared at home. I did not feel like peeling and cooking potatoes to mash last night.

I discovered Mashed Potato Flakes (barbara's bakery) at our local health food store.
Ingredient list - Potato flakes(made from whole,unpeeled Idaho potatoes), and citric acid.

The directions called for milk and butter. I used unsweetened soy milk and skipped the butter. These hit the spot the other day when I needed comfort food.
annhett

Re: Daniel's Diet

Postby happyalyssa » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:39 am

jmgoforth wrote:When people ask me what I'm doing I tell them I'm a Daniel Fast. .

What a great answer! Isn't it funny how when presented in different terms, people alternately would want to either question your decissions or praise your decisions?
Start date: January 1, 2007
23 lbs lost...32 to go!
happyalyssa

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program