July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Dot » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:49 pm

Thank you for the invite to this forum. I'm a lousy typist and I can't spell, my apologies.
I've followed a McDougall diet for the past 8 years and I hover around BMI of 25. I did do Mary's Mini once and lost 6 lbs but put it back on. This time I bought the book and am attempting maximum weight loss in order to lose those last 20 lbs.
My weaknesses are dried fruit and eating huge amounts of higher fat, healthy, McDougall approved food.
Friends, family and restaurant food are an occasional issue.
I've cleared out the pantry, read all the articles and 4 of McDougall's books. I'm into fine tuning and look forward to the discussions and your help.
First question, are balsamic vinegar and oat bran permitted? Not together of course.
Dot

Postby francnm » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:56 pm

What a great opportunity to join with others to lose weight! Although I had been a vegetarian for than 25 years, I did not lose weight until I adopted a whole-food, plant-based diet eight months ago. Although I have lost 40 pounds, I do need a reset. Recently, I have been cooking (and eating) several recipes that use cashews and fruit pastes, as well as eating handfuls of dried fruit. It is time to put the nuts, seeds, and dried fruits on-hold and lose another 10-15 pounds. Thank-you for the opportunity to join the McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group.
francnm

Postby kolkol » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:02 pm

Hello. I am looking forward to joining this group. I've been plant based for approx 18 months, but only recently learned about Dr. McDougall's program & the need to eat starch for satiety. I haven't been successful in losing weight because I'm a hugh snacker: processed snack foods & home baked treats (sugar, flour & chocolate addictions). I'm looking forward to following the program, learning from others and finding the road to good health!
kolkol

Postby spudlover » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:04 pm

I am joining! The group support is what I’m looking forward to.Ive tried MWL on my own & believe the group will help make it a permanent change.
spudlover

Postby Garylatasha » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:05 pm

Im in :)
Garylatasha

Postby farahfar » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:20 pm

Hello. I'd like to join this weigh in group. Thank you
farahfar

Postby shoeless » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:36 pm

Hi, please add me to this group! I am looking forward to beginning a vegan diet and getting back to a normal weight.

Regards,
shoeless
shoeless

Postby farahfar » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:38 pm

Hello!! I am a person that tries to follow a whole foods plant based diet but there are times we've I do eat vegan treats. I became obese a few years and I have lost a total of 26 pounds. I would like to lose at least 20 more pounds. I feel like this would hold me more accountable. Si I would really love to join the group.
farahfar

Postby Adriana » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:53 pm

I would like to join the July weigh-in group. I’ve put on the dreaded quarantine 15, and it needs to go, plus an additional 15, so my goal is to lose 30 lbs. July is also my birthday month, so this is my gift to myself! :-D
Adriana

Postby Heather46 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:59 pm

Hello all,
I'd like to join please. Perfect timing. I have just been planning an MWL 'experiment' starting 1st July and some accountability and companionship will really help. Big lifestyle changes are needed and looking forward to having a simple checklist to follow as I know it's going to be hard.
Heather46

Postby Kathie » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:01 pm

Hi, testing to see if this posts. Would like to join the MWL Weigh-In Group. What do I do after posting this? Thanks, Kathie
Kathie

Postby jenniferhopeful_ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:02 pm

Taking the plunge! Getting a new scale for the big weigh in on Friday! :shock:
jenniferhopeful_

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:03 pm

I'm delighted to welcome another group of new participants! July is going to be exciting! Everyone below has been added to the group.

TracyOHW, SpectralBillie, Wendy8411, JeannieLeBaron, lydiacharm, cwillea, atf, babajoof, LLB, georgiprom2016, jackcook82, ninjanikki, MVJoan, soulforged, cfowlks, Joannasophia, cdclemens12, VNiehoff, JaniceN, Miss Chickpea, DianneW, SunnyDeLite, LindaDi, pquinn, Jacqui Appell, jkbacht, Dot, francnm, kolkol, spudlover, Garylatasha, farahfar, shoeless, Adriana, Heather46, Kathie, jenniferhopeful_

A reminder to all participants, please be sure to review the introductory post, MWL 10-Point Checklist and MWL Program Guidelines - these will serve as our "textbook" for this group.

georgiprom2016 - That is correct, this thread will span the entirety of July. We will have 5 weigh-ins total, one on each of the 5 Fridays this month.

Noella - I'm delighted to have you continuing in July! It has been a real thrill to see the progress you've made. Thank you very much for sharing the experience you've accumulated so far. :D

VNiehoff - Kudos for the 50 lbs you've lost already! The pattern of behavior outlined in the MWL guidelines is the most effective path toward achieving the further outcomes you seek.

JaniceN - Congratulations on your retirement! Now for a new and exciting journey!

SunnyDeLite - Way to go losing 12 lbs already! Calorie rich and processed foods can definitely stall progress, so omitting them from your diet is a great way to keep things moving in the right direction.

LindaDi - Congratulations on the excellent results you achieved with the Starch Solution! MWL is the appropriate next step for further weight loss. Retirement seems like a great opportunity for pursuing personal goals!

Jacqui Appell - Having the MWL 10-Point Checklist close at hand for easy reference is a great start! As Jeff discusses here, the frequency of meals that helps you maintain a durable pattern of adherence is fine - find the routine that works for you and allows you to practice the behaviors recommended in the MWL 10-Point Checklist each time you eat, whether that is 2 or 3 meals or even 4 or 5. Whenever and however often you are hungry, eat as recommended in the guidelines.

Dot - Welcome! As oat bran is not a whole grain, it isn't recommended for MWL; oatmeal would be the adherent option. Regular balsamic vinegar is fine to use as a condiment, but reduced balsamics / balsamic glazes are higher in sugar and calories and can trigger the pleasure trap for some - if those were to be included, they should be treated as added sugar and limited to 2 Tbsp or less per day.

francnm - Congratulations on the weight loss you've already achieved! Now is a great time for a "reset!"

farahfar - Way to go shedding those 26 lbs! You're in the right place for continuing your progress and keeping accountable.

Adriana - I hope you have a very happy birthday! Lifestyle changes to support your health and wellbeing are a great present to give yourself!

Heather46 - July seems like a great time for your "experiment!"

Kathie - Just get started putting the principles from the MWL 10-Point Checklist into action!

I wish everyone the very best as you get started putting the behaviors recommended in the MWL 10-Point Checklist into action in your daily lives. I'm signing off for this evening, but I'll be back to check-in by late afternoon tomorrow, if there are any questions. Take care & be well!
Mark Cooper

Postby K-Squared » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:05 pm

Hello! My name is Katie, and I would like to join this group for July. I have eaten a WFPB Diet for the past 4.5 years and initially lost approximately 50lbs. Over the past few years my weight has crept up by about 10lbs. I attribute this to the inclusion of high fat plant based foods in my diet... Avocados, Walnuts, and Peanut Butter are my favorite foods! Still, I recognize that I need to lose an additional 50lbs (!!!) to be at a healthy weight for my height. To be honest, I will be amazed if I can drop below 150lbs, as I have never weighed so little as either a teen or adult - but I feel like following the tenents of the MWL plan is my best chance.
For the past week, I have been following the 10 point checklist, with the addition of 2 extra servings of fruit per day. Please let me know if this is unacceptable for membership in the group. If so, what are good foods for snacking? The first few days I followed MWL I ate only 2 servings of fruit and had veggies for a snack, but I was left feeling super hungry and deprived. The addition of 2 servings of fruit seem to solve that problem.
I am looking forward to the support and community found here, and will need it as I will be on vacation in Florida for 2 weeks of this month! Happy eating everyone! :)
K-Squared

Postby Whitehawk » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:09 pm

I would like to join please.
Thank you.
Whitehawk

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program