October 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: October 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Eat4health » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:42 pm

Hi Mark, I have completed orientation and would like to be added to the group. Jeff Novick's presentation: Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer was very helpful. Looking forward to the journey! Thank you!
Eat4health

Postby KayVee » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:33 pm

Hello!

I have read and understand and this is my first post on a discussion forum EVER. Please add me to this MWL October Weigh-In group!
KayVee
KayVee

Postby chowbby » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:45 pm

It appears that I replied on the wrong page. I read the orientation materials and watched the video. I am ready! Count me in, please.
chowbby

Postby whereamac » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:49 pm

-3.3 lbs
whereamac

Postby Naartjie » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:27 am

Hi there - I've read, orientated and am very ready to shrink during October (and beyond!)

I look forward to srinking wit you all

Naartjie
Naartjie

Postby PonysPlants » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:09 am

Down 2lbs this week! Yes! So pleased with that and now I’m also in the healthy BMI range. Definitely a day to celebrate MWL style with some potatoes and soup! It’s been a slow month weight loss wise but tightening things up has made a huge difference.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. YES. This is just how I eat now. So easy and I love it.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. NO The accidentally salty stock that I got for soup set me off wanting more salt on my food this week. Did well on the salt this week. Need to keep that going forwards. Sometimes my food made me a bit sad but I know that’s the adjustment period.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES Easy. Vegan for life ;)
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados,) YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES. I got some vegan mayo in a squeeze bottle so I’m not tempted to lick the spoon when I make my husband a sandwich. You gotta do what you gotta do.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES. My family came over and brought pizza. I had fruit.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Still having a little oat milk in my tea.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. Pilates some days, less walking as the weather has been horrible. Need to find some winter cardio I can do at home.

Mark, thank you so much for the info regarding optimum BMI. Now I’m in that zone I’m aiming for that 21.9! Still 17lbs to go which seems a bit daunting but day by day I’ll get there. Thanks so much for your support. A couple of weeks ago I didn’t know if I cared to continue. I thought that where I was was ok, but you spurred me on!

Naomi
PonysPlants

Postby tommy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:40 am

So today is the first time i've weighed myself for a VERY long time. My current weight is 372 and 3/4 lbs. I started a few days ago on tuesday. As you can imagine, at such a high weight I have a long way to go but I am going to make a success of it.

The first week or 2 won't be perfect for me as I am still in bad pain with gout so exercise for me is an absolute no, just going to the kitchen to make a meal is bad enough. I'm hoping there isn't much longer left of this flare up. A week from now I could well be up and doing some walking but we'll see.

Money is a concern for me so daily salads won't be on my menu but I am starting each meal with a piece of fruit. A bit of salt helps me stick to the plan massively (sorry Jeff :-P ) so I do use a bit of iodised salt at each meal which is usually 2 meals a day. I don't use much, just a sprinkle on the top of my potatoes and lentils.

Since exercise is a no at the moment then I call that 9 out of 10 for the checklist so not bad really.
tommy

Postby Daniel35 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:47 am

Start weight: 334.9 lbs (151,9 kg)
- That elicited a sheesh, because virtually nothing changed since my last weigh-in back in April. But I'll start today and don't look back. :)
Daniel35

Postby JeffN » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:12 am

tommy wrote:. A bit of salt helps me stick to the plan massively (sorry Jeff :-P ) so I do use a bit of iodised salt at each meal which is usually 2 meals a day. I don't use much, just a sprinkle on the top of my potatoes and lentils..

Sorry Tommy :)

This is not a no salt diet.

This is a low salt diet that recommends avoiding salt as much as possible in packaged food and in the preparation of food and sprinkling it on the surface of the food at the table.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=57151

Carry on!
Jeff
JeffN

Postby CindyD » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:06 am

Female, age 51, 5'8"
SW 7/6/20: 211.7

Sept 25, 2020 175.6
Oct 2, 2020 173.9
Result: -1.7

Still doing great with all 10 things, though I noticed my salt sprinkling increased so I am watching it more. It really IS easiest (for me) when I just avoid the things I don't need. Yesterday someone brought a coffee cake to the office, and ANOTHER person brought donuts. My (past) favorite kinds I won't describe here! As I told my walking buddy, the time it takes to enjoy the thing is massively eclipsed by the amount of time spent regretting that thing. (In case anyone is wondering it is a spread-out office layout and we wear masks when walking around.)

How neat to see so many new people! It must be the mention in the McDougal newsletter? Welcome new people and returning people! I am only here since July but dang this plan works and Mark and the whole team are the greatest. You can do it! :)
CindyD

Postby Abe » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:20 am

Weight Change: 0 lbs.

Thanks for the cute meditation video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtpPQFfYX9A&feature=youtu.be. I did not do as well as usual with the checklist this week, but I stayed away from pizza and other comfort foods during a pretty stressful time. So, overall I am pleased with that.

MWL Points:
  1. Start meals with soup or salad.
    I did not do this very well this week. I find soup and salad very time consuming to eat, and soup is not something that is practical for me to have on the days when I am working out in the field. On those days, I do not have the kind of job where I can take a bathroom break every 30 minutes all afternoon, which is what having soup requires for me. I will try to get back on track with this.
  2. Follow 50/50 plate volume.
    I had a bunch of predominantly starch meals this week, rather than 50/50.
  3. Eliminate sugar and salt.
  4. Eliminate animal based foods.
  5. Eliminate higher fat plant foods.
  6. Eliminate oil.
  7. Eliminate higher calorie dense foods.
  8. Do not drink your calories.
  9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.
    I overate a couple of times this week due to stress, but I guess on the bright side it was either potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli!, or oat groats with fruit.
  10. Avoid being sedentary.

Not the best week for me with compliance to the guidelines, but I am feeling good about sticking to most of the basics during a tough time. It would be easy to make bad choices right now, and blame it on circumstances. Instead, I am just about ready to switch to some smaller clothing sizes soon.
Abe

Postby Jrjazzyjack » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:36 am

Hello, I hope I signed up properly. After, 4 serious years on the “nutritarian” diet and some drastic measures to lose the last 40 pounds to reach my ideal weight, I have 20 to go and have found in my first 4 weeks of the “Starch Solution” some real success and hope. Blessings to everyone!

Jack
Jrjazzyjack

Postby courtneywagasky » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:51 am

I'm baaaaaaaack and ready to kick some butt this time. I think my lowest weight with this program was about 122.6 and I've gained some weight since celebrating with things like my engagement! I stopped exercising intensely for a while because I got in a weird funk but I'm ready to get back on track and start #sheddingforthewedding.

I've recently bought a bowflex spin bike and am doing Peloton workouts on it! If you're a spin master send me a message!

I missed you all!

Height: 5'2"
BMI: 23.6
Current Weight: 129.2lbs
courtneywagasky

Postby mandybee » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:56 am

138.5 lbs (First Weigh In)
Age 40
5'2"
Female

My general impression is I'm excited and hopeful for this new start. I officially started today. I did sign up for the forum and started my journal and already, I'm finding the people in this forum are extremely kind, supportive and encouraging and I really want to say thank you! I wasn't sure what to expect and I was a little nervous to sign up. I'm so glad I did. Hope you guys have a great weekend!
Last edited by mandybee on Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
mandybee

Postby Wfpb2020 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:58 am

July loss - 9.4 lbs
Aug loss - 2.8 lbs
Sept loss - 6.2
10/2/20 - .6
Total Loss: - 19 lbs

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 4/7
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method; Choose fruit for desert. 4/7
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. 4/7
4) Eliminate all animal foods 4/7
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods. yes
6) Eliminate any added oil. 4/7
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products, puffed cereals, popcorn and dried fruit. 4/7
8 ) Don’t drink your calories. Yes
9) Eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve/stuff yourself. Yes
10) Aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. Yes.

Went to mountains for 3 days for our anniversary. Didn't want to eat in restaurants b/c of covid, so mostly fast food. Brought complaint snacks with us. Breakfast at the hotel was only processed food to go. Kitchen shut down due to covid. I have a new appreciation for those who travel for work & are trying to do this lifestyle. Was hoping to stay on plan with Wendy's baked potato and a salad but that never happened.
Wfpb2020

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program