January Mary's Mini Challenge: SIMPLY Losing Weight

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

MWL

Postby MTeehan » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:56 pm

Aloha! I've been participating over in the MWL January challenge. So far down 11 pounds in the first three weeks. I JUST found you guys and have been wanting to try Mary's mini. Do you do it every month?
See how Dr. McDougall's Plan saved my life and gave me an optimistic outlook on my future here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4V2Zo3xEIw

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w2Qs2zt/]
MTeehan

Postby stormie » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:02 pm

Happy Monday, everyone!

I am down 4lbs this week! :-D

Now I really need to focus on losing 2lbs this week so I can get out of the 160's!
Since February 22, 2010

stormie

Postby safords » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:20 pm

Good for you Stormie.... YOU CAN DO IT!!!

MTeehan; I think you can jump in this one or we can start another challenge when you are ready for it!
Angela - starting date Jan. 19/09 at 142 pounds
safords

THANKS!

Postby MTeehan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:55 pm

safords wrote:Good for you Stormie.... YOU CAN DO IT!!!

MTeehan; I think you can jump in this one or we can start another challenge when you are ready for it!

I'm starting MM today! I'll keep posting weight on MWL for the rest of the week though. I REALLY blew it this weekend. Kinda had it in mind that I was starting MM today so I went nuts and, while I stayed Vegan, I ate everything from Vegenaise to blueberry pie quesadillas. Result: up 3.2 pounds...UGH!!!!
I never realized how difficult (for me) it would be to figure out 21 meals of potatoes I could come up with. Is there a sample meunue plan I can follow anywhere? I like to pour a can of creamed corn over a baked potato but I THINK that is too much. Right?
See how Dr. McDougall's Plan saved my life and gave me an optimistic outlook on my future here:

MTeehan

Postby safords » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:06 pm

I actually never made a menu... what an idea :!:

Baked potato
boiled potatoes
mashed potatoes
hash browns
potato soup
potato salad - - no mayo - just homemade dressing without oil

I pretty much just rotate that... add your salad and vegetable and carrot sticks and celery sticks for munching or apple slices and that's pretty much it.

On my potatoes I have had
ketchup
salsa
spike
or a teeny bit of vegan gravy

on my salad I have
a squirt of lemon or lime.
Angela - starting date Jan. 19/09 at 142 pounds
safords

Postby MTeehan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:27 pm

[quote="safords"]I actually never made a menu... what an idea :!:

Thanks Safords! It's a guy thing I guess. :) This REALLY helps!!!!!
I'm used to frozen meals and McD cups.

MTeehan

Re: THANKS!

Postby stormie » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:49 pm

MTeehan wrote:I never realized how difficult (for me) it would be to figure out 21 meals of potatoes I could come up with.

You might want to check out the 'Mary's Mini Recipes - Potato' section Spud started in the Food & Recipes section: http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10064
Since February 22, 2010

stormie

Just what I needed!

Postby MTeehan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:14 am

Thanks, Stormie! I actually threw together a vegetable casserole and topped it with mashed potatoes seasoned with Hain's vegetable soup mix. After broiling it the last 5 minutes it turned golden brown and was awesome. Amazingling I lost 2.6 of the 3.0 pounds I gained over the weekend by doing MM yesterday. This is so easy it's scary!

MTeehan

Re: Just what I needed!

Postby proverbs31woman » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:28 pm

MTeehan wrote:Thanks, Stormie! I actually threw together a vegetable casserole and topped it with mashed potatoes seasoned with Hain's vegetable soup mix. After broiling it the last 5 minutes it turned golden brown and was awesome. Amazingling I lost 2.6 of the 3.0 pounds I gained over the weekend by doing MM yesterday. This is so easy it's scary!

That sounds good, MTeehan. Welcome to the group!

I've fallen off of the wagon quite a bit, but I'm trying to stay true to at least the MWL principles. It's been hard, but I know that once my mind gets into it, I'll be completely compliant.
proverbs31woman

Re: Just what I needed!

Postby stormie » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:28 pm

MTeehan wrote:Amazingling I lost 2.6 of the 3.0 pounds I gained over the weekend by doing MM yesterday. This is so easy it's scary!

Good job, MTeehan!!! I know - somedays I eat so much potato that I'm thinking there is no way I'm going to lose weight this week, and then POOF! it's gone.
Since February 22, 2010

stormie

Not so good

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:03 pm

I'm back from four days in Boulder City (near Las Vegas) visiting my mom who is in a nursing home. I've been really busy (the preamble to the excuse) and failed to plan. Planning would have meant preparing my favorite fat free salad dressing, putting it into empty spice bottles and filling a quart-size Zip-lok bag with them. Then brining along some baked potatoes and/or yams. I've done that before, and stayed on program. But NOOOOOOO. I was too busy. So, I ate stuff I shouldn't have, and got no exercise, and the result is not pretty.

But, this part is sort of funny: The hotel where I stayed (the Hacienda, in case any of you care) has a buffet with no vegan options, and a 24-hour cafe in the same spot where you can order off the menu. I saw oatmeal on the menu, so I figured I'd try it for breakfast. Here's what happened. I sat down, and eventually the waitress appeared. I asked for oatmeal and fruit. She said they only had fruit on the buffet, but not if you ordered off the menu. I told her I didn't want the buffet--I wanted oatmeal (that wasn't available on the buffet), and I'd pay extra for fruit if she could please bring me some. She consulted her supervisor, came back and said they couldn't do that; it had come up before, and they just couldn't do that. It reminded me of the old Jack Nicholson scene where he tries to order toast, the waiting says they don't order it, so he orders some kind of sandwich on toast, tells them to keep the filling, and just bring the toast. I will be writing a letter to the management.

But, I'm back at work. I walked an hour at lunch, and ate a couple of baked potatoes and salsa.
Vanilla Orchid

End of January challenge?

Postby stormie » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:00 pm

I'm down another 2lbs this week, which brings me to a total of 10.5 lbs in one month! How did everyone else do? Are we going to have another challenge in February?
Since February 22, 2010

stormie

Postby Jackie J » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:11 pm

yes - another challenge in february - for me, starting tomorrow -- as i had some leftovers today that were not mcdougall legal
but i've lost six pounds since january 7th
down to 156
Jackie J

Postby proverbs31woman » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:54 pm

Hello Jackie,

I'm not sure if anyone is going to start another challenge. I know a few of us are now a part of the MWL challenge. You may want to start another MM challenge. I had to give it up because I was modifying the MM plan too much. There was too much variety for it to be MM.
proverbs31woman

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program