February 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: February 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby Ellen N » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:05 am

Hi Jeff, in response to your question, I am limiting some foods with high vitamin A content (or precursors) because I have idiopathic intracranial hypertension, have had this for 3-4 years but not aware of diagnosis until last summer. I have been pretty much vegan for over 25 years so don’t worry about animal sources. I have found that sweet potatoes, winter squash and carrots give me a disabling high pressure headache, also red peppers. I am able to eat small amounts of green veggies like broccoli and salad greens but not large servings. As I loose weight, I am hoping that this will go into remission so I can stop my medication and hopefully eat whatever veggies I want to.
Ellen N

Postby amandamechele » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:12 am

Idgie wrote:Oh, shoot, I am so sorry. I had a really weird work schedule this week, and I keep thinking it's a day earlier than it is. I stayed the same this week.

No worries, I’ve added you to the tally. I’m just happy to hear from you Idgie. :)
amandamechele

Postby Michele613 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:31 am

Amy,

Thank you for your last, thorough and loving post. You are a true leader. Glad I am a part of your team. Just wanted to acknowledge your care and efforts. :thumbsup:
Michele613

Postby JeffN » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:17 am

Ellen N wrote: Hi Jeff, in response to your question, I am limiting some foods with high vitamin A content (or precursors) because I have idiopathic intracranial hypertension, have had this for 3-4 years but not aware of diagnosis until last summer.

Sorry for my curiosity and interest, and I don't want to distract from the bigger MWL picture in the thread, but as you may know, this is a very rare condition so we don't see it very often.

I am curious as to how they diagnosed this in you and if you know which kind you have, primary or secondary. I am guessing secondary by the Vitamin A related issue.

Ellen N wrote: I have been pretty much vegan for over 25 years so don’t worry about animal sources. I have found that sweet potatoes, winter squash and carrots give me a disabling high pressure headache, also red peppers. I am able to eat small amounts of green veggies like broccoli and salad greens but not large servings.

That is good news.

It is not always easy to avoid beta-carotene in plant foods without a fairly restrictive diet. Have you been given a list of the foods lowest in beta-carotene? If not, let me know. I can share with you a ranking program that lists all plant foods by beta-carotene.

Ellen N wrote: As I loose weight, I am hoping that this will go into remission so I can stop my medication and hopefully eat whatever veggies I want to.

Agreed!

As I am sure you know, this is an important issue so keeping calorie density low, while finding acceptable foods, makes it a challenge.

If you are uncomfortable sharing a response here, please feel free to PM me.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby landog » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:09 am

Stolen from a facebook thread, words to live by:

It's easier to say 'No' than to struggle to stop!

landog

Postby Michele613 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:33 am

Great quote....ain't that the truth!!!!!
Michele613

Postby Jaap Amesz » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:48 am

Hi my friends,

As you can read in my journal here: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=59260
I now have an empty freezer, ready to restock in like 72 hours. At least, I hope so, that it will restart properly then.

1) So do you have a link to some general shopping lists? What would you recommend me to get frozen? It's a massive 6 foot freezer!

Well, I weighed in. I drummed my chest that I was going to be a militant follower. Haha. But it didn't really come to that. Don't want to externalize, though it is a bit of bad luck that in my starting week my freezer broke. No worries, still will way in on Thursday. I live 9 hours earlier, so I won't miss the Friday way in. But as a MSc myself, I don't want to screw up this research design. See my journal, I have not done MWL (yet). Sure, I will lose some. But it's not on the MWL program.

2) Do you still want my number this week? Or do you want me to restart with a fresh weigh in?

Good news as well. I am sure I will have finished the MWL book BEFORE week 2 starts. Also I have the chance to restock BEFORE week 2 starts. Also I allocated time to read more resources, BEFORE week 2 starts.

3) What resources do you want me to read BEFORE week 2?
Jaap Amesz

Postby JeffN » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:18 am

Jaap Amesz wrote:3) What resources do you want me to read BEFORE week 2?

The MWL guidelines were updated since the book. A few minor changes.

You can read the current ones here
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26620&start=135#p569991

And a 10 Point Checklist
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26620&p=578019#p578019

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:23 am

Jaap Amesz wrote:1) So do you have a link to some general shopping lists? What would you recommend me to get frozen? It's a massive 6 foot freezer

Frozen foods are 100% acceptable on the program, even recommended.’

Here is a general shopping list from my cooking class. Everything but the dried fruit and the nuts/seeds are OK for MWL.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/pdf/Advance ... t_3-13.pdf

In health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Jaap Amesz » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:58 am

About the 10 point check list....

How do I make a salad from frozen? Like tomatoes and spinach go watery and mushy.
Cold starches are no problem for me. However cold soups I don't like.
If I can choose from 0 to 2 fruits, I rather eat 0 fruit.

So point 1 of 10, it's kinda hard to achieve. Especially when I go out of the house. Then I am forced to eat cold, so soups are not an option. Salads from frozen (I don't have fresh) are not an option. What to do with point 1?
Jaap Amesz

Postby Michele613 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:03 pm

Hi Jeff N,

I was reading your list recently reposted here....I realize pasta is not on MWL program but a general question I have is: WHAT IS WHOLE GRAIN PASTA?

My husband bought 'durham wheat pasta'....is that whole grain or just another misleading name for regular pasta (as it looks regular, just darker). Semolina is durham? Semolina is regular pasta? I want to buy him the healthiest kind but I just don't understand what kind that is.

TIA
Michele613

Postby ForestGoddess » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:04 pm

I have been missing and here sporadically for weeks. I am not doing well at all staying MWL compliant. I go back and forth with not caring what I eat and being angry with myself for eating (fill in the blank with a bad snack food). My brain has way too much power over the decisions of what I put in my body. Maybe I need to start to journal and then once I get some consistent traction, come back here. Because right now I'm not participating because I am struggling so much with compliance.

Off to start a journal...it won't be pretty.

I will continue to lurk and try to gain some help by reading about all your successes.
ForestGoddess

Postby Michele613 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:13 pm

Gee FG,

Sorry you are struggling so much. There must be a lot going on in your life. When you're ready in your heart you will be back. Keeping a journal may help you find out why you are getting in your own way. I know you really want to lose weight, feel good about yourself and your state of health....this can be accomplished. Try looking longer and harder at what you have done right; what you want to get out from under and see yourself on that pedestal of a champion. Only you can break through your own boundaries. I think you can do it. I will miss seeing you here. Please stay in touch!

Wishing you abundant success to match your desire!!
Michele613

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:30 pm

Michele613 wrote:Hi Jeff N,

I was reading your list recently reposted here....I realize pasta is not on MWL program but a general question I have is: WHAT IS WHOLE GRAIN PASTA?

My husband bought 'durham wheat pasta'....is that whole grain or just another misleading name for regular pasta (as it looks regular, just darker). Semolina is durham? Semolina is regular pasta? I want to buy him the healthiest kind but I just don't understand what kind that is.

TIA

This is a really good question. Durham wheat pasta is not necessarily whole grain. Check the ingredients. For instance:

This box says 100% whole wheat on the front, and the ingredients say whole wheat.

Same thing here.

Other pastas can be made from whole grains other than pasta, such as corn, quinoa, etc.

(Beware than some fancy pasta blends will have other unacceptable ingredients, so be sure to always double check.)
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:38 pm

ForestGoddess wrote:I have been missing and here sporadically for weeks. I am not doing well at all staying MWL compliant. I go back and forth with not caring what I eat and being angry with myself for eating (fill in the blank with a bad snack food). My brain has way too much power over the decisions of what I put in my body. Maybe I need to start to journal and then once I get some consistent traction, come back here. Because right now I'm not participating because I am struggling so much with compliance.

Off to start a journal...it won't be pretty.

I will continue to lurk and try to gain some help by reading about all your successes.

If weighing in here helps, you are always welcome to participate. Very few do this perfectly. It's really about your intent to keep working on it.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program