Spray Oil Question

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Spray Oil Question

Postby spud » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:29 pm

Just wondering if Spray oil such as Pam is ok to use on MWL? I don't use a lot, but it sure makes a difference on the baked french fries and hash browns.
Meltin my behind in 2009!
MWL since Dec 26, 2008
Starting Weight 240, Current Weight 222
Total Loss 18lbs!
spud

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:06 am

Officially, no, not on any version of the McDougall program, because it's a spray-on fat, no matter what the label says. This is why Dr. & Mary McDougall say we're to use non-stick pans and use things like water or broth instead of oils for cooking.
VeggieSue

Postby Anndreak » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:21 pm

I am really starting to like the taste of foods better cooked in water/veg stock instead of oil or spray. They seem to have a fresher taste!

For Hash browns throw them in the pan and let them start to brown with no water, once they get brown, then add a little water at a time so they fully cook.
~ Anndrea
Anndreak

Hash browns

Postby Pat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:47 pm

I cook frozen in a dry non-stick skillet. Just sorta mash then down and cover. Don't touch them for 10-12 minutes. By then they will have formed a nice brown crust. Remove the lid (they will be thoroughly cooked) and turn. Cook until they are nicely browned.

You won't miss the oil. Even my SAD seating husband will eat them like this.

Pat
Pat

Postby veganlex » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:39 am

I think the story goes that the spray oil is actually 100% fat, but they label it in a way to cheat the system because its 1/52 of a second of a spray which makes it under the required amount to list it. You can easily spray the bottle into a glass and hold it up and see how much fat is in there :)
veganlex

Postby Anne-Marie » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:10 am

I think Jeff has a video out there someplace that shows what the serving size spray is. It's pretty funny. Anyone have the link?
McDougalling since Dec '06
Anne-Marie
Anne-Marie

Postby dlb » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:55 pm

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uSNvujONuQ

Gave me a good excuse to see it again. It is so funny.

Donna
dlb

Postby TerryP » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:46 pm

Ok, I had to watch this. What a kick. Yet sad at the same time.

Thanks for giving us the link. Love it.
TerryP
:wink:
"A DREAM YOU DON'T FIGHT FOR CAN HAUNT YOU FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE"-ROBOTS
TerryP

Postby Kierr » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:24 pm

For oven fries this is what I do:

In a large bowl I put vegan Worcestershire sauce or low sodium soy sauce (about 1/3 cup), and sprinkle Mrs dash, or Oregano, a little seasoning salt or garlic powder (depends on your mood).
Mix it all together in the bowl and add cut up potatoes.
Stir or toss to coat them.
Bake on parchment paper on cookie sheets or good non-stick sheets in the oven at 350 or so for 25-30 minutes, depending on how thick they are.

The sauce gives them a little crisp and a lot of flavor. My husband LOVES these. :)

If you have sodium issues you can also use Balsamic vinegar instead of low sodium soy sauce, it is just as yummy , and a little tangy.
Kierr

Postby Ruth » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:49 pm

That youtube video was hilarious. Thanks for posting the link.
:lol:
Ruth

Postby NancyG » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:02 am

Yes, thanks for the youtube link. For me using the spray, or a little bit of oil, enables me to keep my old thinking instead of learning a new way to cook something. And that little bit of oil tends to grow over time....
NancyG

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program