Worried about too many carbs?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Worried about too many carbs?

Postby Anndreak » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:35 pm

I just started the MWL diet 4 days ago and I have lost 3lbs already and this could just be my pre-programed head talking but is anyone worried about eating too many carbs? Or am I missing something with the happy medium?
~ Anndrea
Anndreak

Postby topview1 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:32 pm

What are carbs? I'm following the MWL diet as recommended and am eating good quality complex carbohydrates - calorie dilute, nutrient dense foods with lots of fiber.

:D "Carbs" only exist if they are swimming in oil or stripped of all of the fiber and nutrients.
Last edited by topview1 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melanie
McDougalling with 5 special somebodies
4 boys - 9,7,5,3

topview1

This lifestyle is all about the carbs!

Postby bigdorkpeter » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:32 am

If you follow the program "as advertised", you will get around 75% of your calories from carbohydrates. This is a good thing. They are the preferred fuel for your body and brain and aren't as readily stored as fat (with the possible exception of frucose, which is why the Dr. recommends limiting yourself to 2 servings of fruit on MWL).

Don't worry--you will lose weight. You will also have more energy and benefit from the fiber and nutrients those complex carbs come with.

There is a lot of information on this topic in the newsletter and discussion threads on this website, as well as in Dr. McDougall's books.
bigdorkpeter

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program