Favorite non stick cookwear....

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Favorite non stick cookwear....

Postby Lily » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:40 am

Currently I have the Analon Classic cookwear and am very happy with it. Unfortunately my biggest pan is in need of replacing. I'm just starting to look around and see what is available. What is your favorite?

Thanks.
Lily

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Lily

Postby Becky » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:21 pm

Berndes. It is what Mary McDougall uses at the seminars in Santa Rosa and what she recommends. I have a set of Berndes, and I really love them! Best I've ever had!!

Becky
See how I am McDougallizing the recipes in
Robin Roberston's "1000 Vegan Recipes" -
https://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com/
Becky

Postby spud » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:17 pm

My favorite pan is the Caphalon Deep Fry pan. Looks similar to a wok and works like one and cleans up easily. Got mine 2nd hand and I love it!
Meltin my behind in 2009!
MWL since Dec 26, 2008
Starting Weight 240, Current Weight 222
Total Loss 18lbs!
spud

Postby talkingmountain » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:07 am

I got an Emeril All-in-One Pan (or maybe it's called the Everyday Pan). It's actually made by All-Clad, and it looks great with my All-Clad pots.

It's nonstick is fabulous, I mean NOTHING sticks to it. It heats very evenly, and I've found that you use a much, much lower heat than with my older pans so I'm also saving on electricity.

It's the perfect shape for everyday cooking -- everything from sauteeing onions, to cooking pancakes, to making a big stir-fry, to making a paella (because it comes with a lid, too).

All that for for $60 at my local gourmet store (less on the internet). Which is about the most I'd ever pay for nonstick. Both chefs in my family say to never spend a fortune on non-stick cookware because the non-stick finish, no matter how high the quality, will never last more than a few years.

My other favorite non-stick is my good old $15 cast iron skillet. Unlike the coated non-sticks, it actually gets things crispy & brown. But I have to be so careful with it as it will scratch my glass stovetop and could even crack the stovetop if I'm not careful. The Emeril pan won't, so I don't feel so nervous using it.
talkingmountain

Postby Lily » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:59 pm

[quote="talkingmountain"]All that for for $60 at my local gourmet store (less on the internet). Which is about the most I'd ever pay for nonstick. Both chefs in my family say to never spend a fortune on non-stick cookware because the non-stick finish, no matter how high the quality, will never last more than a few years.

quote]

Thank you! that makes so much sense. Mine was more than 60 and part of me thought it should last forever, but that just doesn't happen.
Lily

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Lily

WORST

Postby kpolninja » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:59 pm

I got one of those Todd English green pans....worst ever. I threw it out it was so bad.
kpolninja

Postby toadfood » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:08 am

I am reading this thread with interest, as my non-stick wok pan died last night and I need to get a new one! I was cleaning it when I realized that the non-stick coating was coming off along with the food! Off to the trash!

Talkingmountain, how long is "a few" years? I think this pan lasted about 5. Is that about the best I can expect?

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

pressure cooker

Postby Starchyme » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:07 am

Does anyone know what brand pressure cooker Mary recommends? Also, has anyone used one and is it hard to use and clean? (I'm a lazy cook and cleaner-upper.)
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Felini » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:04 pm

Becky wrote:Berndes. It is what Mary McDougall uses at the seminars in Santa Rosa and what she recommends. I have a set of Berndes, and I really love them! Best I've ever had!!

Becky

Exactly which set do you have? There are several different kinds. I would love to get a set, but don't want to buy the wrong ones.....they are a little pricey to make that mistake. :-D

Thank you,
Felini

Examples of different Berndes pans

Signocast
Signocast classic
Tradition
Nonstick Milestone

See what I mean?

"I know I can, I know You can!"
Felini

Postby Becky » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:20 pm

Hi Felini,

Yes, I see what you mean!! I have the Signocast (I'm not sure about the "classic" - I think it is just the Signocast). I know that every pot and skillet I purchased came with a glass lid (I noticed some of the options did not come with lids). And, I actually bought just the pieces I needed, not an actual set. So, I ended up with three pots (around 1 qt, 2qt, 3qt), and three sautee pans (2.5 qt, 4.5 qt, and 6 qt). I use all of them constantly, but the smallest pot and smallest sautee pan get used the least. If I had to economize, I would have skipped those two. I just checked the prices on the website, and the Signocast pieces seem to correspond with the prices I paid for them.

The 6-quart saute pan is wonderful!! I use it for hashbrowns, pancakes, homemade veggie burgers, stews, chilies, french toast, you name it. And nothing sticks!!

Hope this helps!!!

Becky
See how I am McDougallizing the recipes in
Robin Roberston's "1000 Vegan Recipes" -
https://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com/
Becky

Postby susie » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:28 pm

I bought a Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker and it's fabulous.It cooks beans perfectly in about 12 minutes onces it reaches fullsteam. Expensive but quality. Less in the US.
susie

Postby Starchyme » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:41 am

Thanks, Susie. I'll see who carries that brand here and check it out.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby spud » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:11 pm

Forgot to mention my favorite non-stick oven and microwave cookware! I love my Demarle Silpat and Flexipan's. They cook in the microwave and bake in the oven. My favorite is the Deep Dish Round Mold. I can put it in the microwave and use the small octagonal silpat to cover and steam my vegetables. Just like the Silpat, nothing sticks to it and it is very easy to clean up. And unlike the Silpat, Flexipan has a lifetime guarantee. I used the fancy ones more when I baked a lot of cakes, but I love the Round Mold because I can cook anything in it and after clean up, it looks brand new!
Meltin my behind in 2009!
MWL since Dec 26, 2008
Starting Weight 240, Current Weight 222
Total Loss 18lbs!
spud

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program