Curves fitness Centers - Opinions?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Curves fitness Centers - Opinions?

Postby stormie » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:54 pm

I'm thinking of checking out Curves to see what it's all about.

I'm pretty fit, I do cardio mainly and have access to a gym at work, but I think the circuit training and group motivation might really help me get into better shape. I just don't have the motivation to lift weights by myself at my work gym.

Anyone have any thoughts or successes they could share with me? I just don't want it to be a waste of time or money for me.

Thanks!!
Since February 22, 2010

stormie

Postby nomikins » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Since you are already pretty fit, you are going to need a bigger challenge than Curves. Look into CrossFit. You will get results. I think Curves is a good idea for women who have never done any type of strength training. It has its place, but I think you are already beyond that, based on your photo and your description of your fitness level.
nomikins

Postby LauraA » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:13 pm

I was thinking the same thing - you may be beyond Curves, but if you don't do strength training on your own, it could still be helpful. I've been a member for several years - I'm 62, wasn't really doing much strength training, and I can go to other Curves locations when I travel. I think that you could try it our for free to see what you think. Take care, Laura
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Postby eaufraiche703 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:25 pm

you'd be ok at curves if you REALLY work it! and they have some new computerized program that would help keep the workouts oomphed.

i've had memberships back in nj and here in mo, and found that the facility really makes a difference.... if the place is packed you could end up wasting seconds trying to get on a machine if someone is slow getting off, etc.

i'm currently not a member.... i teach music, and hearing the music at curves is just too much for after school!

BUT i plan to rejoin....
what would Scooby do?
eaufraiche703

Postby CarolWL » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:44 pm

I spent six months at a Curves, three-four times a week. I weighed exactly the same, down to the decimal point, on the day I left as I did the first day I arrived. (I have the computer printout to prove it.)

If you're pretty fit already, Curves is probably not for you. (BTW, is Curves still in business? Several in my neighborhood closed up and moved out in the dark of night about a year ago. They didn't even tell the members...)
CarolWL

Postby eaufraiche703 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:49 pm

it's a franchise, so the owner must've over expanded.
what would Scooby do?
eaufraiche703

Postby stormie » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Thanks for your input, everyone!

I think I'll look elsewhere to join...I too am thinking it won't be challenging enough.
Since February 22, 2010

stormie

Postby nomikins » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:28 pm

Check out crossfit.com and see if there is a location in your area. It's the best workout I've ever done.
nomikins

Postby eaufraiche703 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:55 pm

very interesting, nomikins!

found it was easier to get info about local crossfit offerings by googling 'crossfit st louis' brought up lots of great info!
eaufraiche703

Postby nomikins » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:41 am

Crossfit is the workout I've been looking for all my life! It is changing my body rapidy. I have abs!

Here's a link to the post I made regarding my progress so far.
http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10531

I started a second boot camp on Feb 23. I love this workout. It's hard work, but completely scalable to anyone's fitness level. There are people of all shapes and sizes, and it's so inclusive.
nomikins

Postby Carol » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:31 am

Sorry to jump in so late in the discussion. I had mixed reactions to Curves. I liked the workout enough so that I had no trouble going 3 times a week. But after a year or so I started to have back problems but never made a connection. After a couple of years it got so bad I had to have surgery. After surgery, I tried returning only to find that it REALLY aggravated the back. So I finally had to quit, and once I did, the back felt great and is still great to this day (5 years later).

I talked to others about my findings and some had similar experiences. The owner made sure I was doing all the machines correctly (perfectly) and that my posture was good. It didn't help.

So my advice is to watch your back :lol:
Carol

Postby LJ » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:04 am

I went to Curves about 4-5 years ago....I got extremely bored with it.
LJ

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program