how to clean portabella mushrooms & rehydrate dried mush

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

how to clean portabella mushrooms & rehydrate dried mush

Postby melaleuca » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:47 am

please advise:
what is this wiping the 1 side of the portabella?
is that if you remove the gills from the underside and the stem?
seems like a waste of edible portion...

any recommendations for dried mushrooms
like shitakes a lot...
very unaffordable really...
cheaper in bulk?
is costco still selling bulk mushrooms?
years ago they carried bulk shitakes; months ago i saw what looked like assorted bulk dried mushrooms...

what is the procedure for preparing dried mushrooms?
would it be simpler?
they would surely be washed thoroughly with all the soaking & rehydrating...

thanks,
melaleuca
melaleuca

Dried Shitake

Postby MilesA » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:39 am

The best source of dried mushroom I know of are Asian supermarkets. They have them in bulk and the cost is much, much cheaper than the local Safeway.

Dried mushrooms have a lot of flavor, so you don't need very many. They are much more flavorful than the fresh ones, although the fresh ones are better for some things where you need a more delicate flavor.

When you consider that mushrooms are mostly water, you can see why the dried mushrooms might seem expensive. The dried ones are usually much cheaper than the fresh ones in the end, because they are so flavorful and they have a long shelf-life.

It is good to store your dried mushrooms in the freezer if possible. They will last indefinitely.

To prepare dried mushrooms: soak in a small amount of hot water to cover for about 15 minutes. Much of the rich flavor of the mushrooms will be in the soaking water, so you don't want to discard it. Use it in cooking after straining it to get any grit out. Shitake broth is particularly flavorful. You should discard the stems after soaking, they will be tough, so use only the caps in your cooking.

You can also soak mushrooms in cold water, but it will take longer to rehydrate them. This way, more of the flavor is retained in the mushrooms and less in the soaking water.
MilesA

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:18 am

How I read to prepare a portabello mushroom is to remove the gills with a spoon, and peel the top lightly with a damp cloth.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Chile » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:43 am

Hm, I've never removed the gills from portabello mushrooms...

I buy my dried shiitakes in big bags at the Asian market and repackage them into smaller quantities with my vacuum sealer. The big ones will not soften up in just 15 minutes of soaking, though. I usually soak them for several hours. Do save the soaking water for stock as it's delicious. Cook rice in it for wonderful flavor.

Remember with the dried shiitakes that you don't use the tough stems. Just cut them out and compost.
Chile

Postby TwinB » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:22 pm

To clean mushrooms I use a mushroom brush, available in specialty cookware stores. Fresh mushrooms don't need much cleaning & shouldn't be immersed in water; just a couple of swipes with the brush will do it.

TwinB

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:47 pm

I, too use a mushroom brush to clean fresh mushrooms. No need to remove the gills. I have never frozen mushrooms. I store them in a paper (never plastic) bag in the fridge, that way they dry out instead of getting slimy and rotten. You can still use them if they dry out--because now they are dried mushrooms!

I buy dried mushrooms at an Asian market and store them in a tupperware bin---forever. Be sure you do keep them sealed though, otherwise they can get bugs (yuck!).
Vanilla Orchid

Vanilla Orchid - what I meant was...

Postby MilesA » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:10 pm

I don't freeze the fresh mushrooms, I put the dried ones in the freezer because that way, there will be no possibility of bug problems.

Trying to freeze fresh mushrooms would be a big mistake, I think.
MilesA

Re: Vanilla Orchid - what I meant was...

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:16 pm

MilesA wrote:I don't freeze the fresh mushrooms, I put the dried ones in the freezer because that way, there will be no possibility of bug problems.

Trying to freeze fresh mushrooms would be a big mistake, I think.

I agree. I was thinking--why bother. Then you no longer have fresh mushrooms. But, I find that so long as I keep the dried mushrooms sealed in Tupperware (or something similar) they stay--I was about to say fresh, but what I really mean is they don't spoil.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Faith in DC » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:23 am

I store my dried mushrooms in the freezer too. I was worried, even with being sealed up, that due to their texture, that they'd soak up humidity. I live in a humid area.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:45 pm

Faith in DC wrote:I store my dried mushrooms in the freezer too. I was worried, even with being sealed up, that due to their texture, that they'd soak up humidity. I live in a humid area.

If you seal them in Tupperware (or even a Zip-lok baggie) they will stay dry. No need to freeze.
Vanilla Orchid

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program