Unsure if I should use MWL program or not

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Unsure if I should use MWL program or not

Postby DWerth » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:16 pm

We have purchased many of Dr. M' books, including the 12 Day Program, Quick and Easy Cookbook, the MWL book, DVD's Made Easy and Made Irresistable. Also, have Jeff Novick's DVD on reading food labels, Dr. Campbell's The China Study(not read yet), Dr. Esselstyn's Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease (not read yet), Dr. Lisle's Losing Weight without Losing your Mind (not viewed yet) and The Pleasure Trap (not viewed yet).

Having said that, today(6/11) was my fourth day on the 12 Day Program. I am a 56 yo male about 75lbs overweight with T2 diabetes, high cholesterol and blood pressure.

My question to the board is this: Once I complete the twelve days I was thinking of going straight to the MWL program. My wife, who makes the meals, etc, thinks otherwise. Her suggestion is to continue on to "Transition Treats: Old Favorites, McDougall Style and spend more time with the Quick and Easy Cookbook recipes and only utilize the MWL program if I am at a plateau for a while and feel the need to lose some weight more quickly than I was.

We will listen to all the responses I receive.
Thank you in advance for your timely responses!
We are all unique -just like everyone else.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzBbihh/]
[/url]
DWerth

My 2 cents...

Postby f1jim » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:24 am

See how you respond to the standard plan before jumping on MWL. If the transition goes well and you make great progress on the standard plan, stay with it. If you have been very adherent and you wish to push for faster weight loss jump to MWL. Be your own gauge. Don't be dismayed by the large number of people on the MWL to loose weight. This plan will deliver weight loss if you follow it closely. Many of those that have jumped to MWL didn't really follow the plan too closely and they use MWL to "make up the difference." That might work, but I notice the ones on the MWL plan that are having good success are actually the ones being adherent to the main plan. My guess is you will do great without having to restrict yourself further. Take the time to settle in and find the foods you like. This is key. Don't be afraid to come back to that dish repeatedly. For any meal! For me it was vegetable over brown rice. I make a batch of rice, keep lots of mixed frozen veggies in the freezer. It's still my go to meal!
When you have questions, ASK. I would recommend asking Jeff Novick on his forum, or ask Dr. McDougall directly. They are both great at helping and certainly more qualified than any of us to give you the straight skinny(sic). Don't forget to let us know how you are doing
Good Luck
f1jim
f1jim

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:58 am

Since you have health issues, I'd concentrate on thoughs and the weight loss will follow. McD has lots of articles on his site on T2, high blood pressure and cholesterol.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Use your own experience

Postby SactoBob » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:46 am

With your problems, the closer you get to MWL, the better off you will be. But you can do fine on the regular plan if you don't approach it like a lawyer looking for loopholes.

I you use regular, it is really easy to gravitate towards the more calorie dense products, which are always going to be tastier. So either way, emphasize whole plant foods and really minimize, or preferably eliminate, things like nuts, processed foods, fake foods and stuff like that. I personally would avoid the tendency to find substitutes for you old foods - things like fake mayonaise, gravy, sour cream, etc. It takes a while to change your tastes, but eventually, that whole plant food will be delicious to you.

I don't remember who said this recently, but it was great. They look at the food and ask two questions. Is it plant food, and is it whole, and if the answer is yes, eat.

Watch those Lisle dvd's soon. They are really important. There a number of ways you can fail in transition, and he addresses those ways and provides super ways to get around the problems you are going to have to deal with. Let us know how it goes and post problems. Be especially up front with deviations. The problems that you are ashamed to admit are the ones that nobody can help you with.
SactoBob

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program