Is ezekiel bread MWL?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Is ezekiel bread MWL?

Postby shirleyjt » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:06 am

I was thinking of including ezekiel bread in my MWL attempt, but was wondering if it is MWL. ( I saw a previous post that suggested that it wasn't). I thought it would be okay since it contains only sprouted grains and not flour.

Shirley
shirleyjt

Postby Plumerias » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:31 am

Good morning Shirley,

I cannot answer your question about the MWL and Ezekiel bread, but I see that you are an Ohioan. Please check the lounge for the thread on the central Ohio get together and consider joining us next month. And welcome. :-)
Plumerias

I would like to know that one too...

Postby Shackwacky » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:49 am

about Ezekiel bread. Any information thanks?
Shackwacky

Postby dlb » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:04 am

JeffN wrote:The problem with many whole grain processed products (like bread, dry cereals, bagels and crackers) is that even though they are whole grain, they are still calorie dense.

From what Jeff said, my take would be no they are not. MWL avoids the higher calorie density foods. It would be fine on the regular program. If you would like to read the whole thread, you can find it here:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10254&highlight=sprouted+bread

Donna
To read how the McDougall Program helped me reach my goals, go here:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/donna_byrnes.html
dlb

Postby TominTN » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:13 pm

Based on the nutrition label I just looked at on a package of their raisin bread, it's about 1000 calories per pound. Most bread is 1200 - 1500 cal/lb.

Jeff recommends shooting for 800 cal/lb or less.

I know I didn't answer the question. I can't tell you whether Ezekiel bread is allowed on MWL cause I don't know. What I do know is that when I'm trying to lose weight, any kind of bread at all is not helpful to me personally for two reasons -- it's more concentrated calorically so it's easy to overeat compared to less processed options and it's something I really like a lot so eating a little makes me want more. For me, it's easier to never start.
Last edited by TominTN on Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're probably right.

Weight Loss Through the Magic of Calorie Density: http://wp.me/p1utH8-v
TominTN

RE: Central Ohio get together

Postby shirleyjt » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:06 am

Plumerias wrote:Good morning Shirley,

I cannot answer your question about the MWL and Ezekiel bread, but I see that you are an Ohioan. Please check the lounge for the thread on the central Ohio get together and consider joining us next month. And welcome. :-)

I saw that, however I think I have to work that weekend.

Thanks,
Shirley
shirleyjt

Nope

Postby wohali7 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:00 pm

Last time I went to The Wellness Center, I asked Mary McDougall about Ezekial bread. She said it isn't allowed on MWL - even though I tried to plead the point about whole grains. I was bummed. For me, there's no danger of eating more than on slice at a time! :-)
wohali7

Postby shirleyjt » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:52 am

That, among other things, is the reason I decided just to follow the original plan. I still strugle with that but I am still losing weight and if it takes me a little longer so be it. I plan on doing the diet for life so I will continue in the right direction.

Thanks!
shirleyjt

Good for you!

Postby wohali7 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:15 pm

One huge thing Dr. McDougall said was to eat enough. Ya don't wanna be hungry all the time. My co-workers are stumped as to how I can eat all the time, yet dropped 40+ pounds.
wohali7

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:51 am

I always get looks too. I bring in a heck of a lot of food to work. I always laugh at these folks who are dieting so they bring in tiny little salads for lunch. Heck, I'd never have made it this far if I was hungry.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Daffodil » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:43 pm

How about those commercials for Special K diet smoothie drink. It's a little 6 ounce thing. Two ladies sitting at their desks get their "lunch" out. One has the special k drink and the other has the store brand. The one with the store brand frowns at her's and the other lady hands her the extra special k drink so they all live happily ever after even though they are starving! lol
Just think, they could all have a big plate of potatoes and be even happier! And actually full. ;)
Daffodil

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:03 am

yeah, if they only realized for the calories what all they could eat.
Faith
Faith in DC

Postby boardn10 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:14 pm

I am personally not concerned about the Calroie issue. I am very thin right now but I am on this diet for the boost in immunity. So, with this in mind...I'd be curious if this bread is still allowed?
boardn10

Postby shirleyjt » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:36 pm

I would say if you are just on McDougall plan and not mwl, then yes it would be okay. It is low glycemic, low fat and vegan.
shirleyjt

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:25 am

yes, you have no need for maximum weight loss. That changes things totally. You can eat whole grain breads, pastas etc.
Faith
Faith in DC

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program