mary's mini with potatoes-anyone doing it?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

mary's mini with potatoes-anyone doing it?

Postby chewy » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:33 pm

i am thinking of doing mary's mini as a sort of end of summer cleanse-just for fun-not for losing weight or anything -just to keep it ultra simple.anyone want to do it with me ?we'd eat potatoes as our chosen starch along with lots of vegetables-raw and steamed,salads and fruit....
come on and join me!
chewy:)
chewy

Postby Nicky_25 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:43 pm

Morning Chewy!
i think i might try this with you, but i am not sure if i have enough potatoes, can we do sweet potatoes too? do you have them for breakkie? i'd love something simple to get started :-D
Nicky_25

Postby chewy » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:49 pm

oh good! sure,have sweet potatoes or yams or any kind of potato you want!
i plan to have 2 fruits( 1 chopped apple, 1 cup blueberries) with my daily 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed and cinnamon sprinkled on top for breakfast(this is filling) as i usually do then salad,raw vegetables and potato for lunch and salad,steamed veg and potatoes for dinner.
chewy

Postby Nicky_25 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:55 pm

sounds good. i recently got a slow cooker-crock pot so i'll be trying to cook some overnight on there. i read some older posts about people put them in the crock pot overnight with a bit of water and they're ready in the morning? any other ideas for slow cooker or crock pot potatoes?
Nicky_25

Postby ahowley » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:36 am

I've used the crock pot to "bake" potatoes. No water needed. Just prep as usual, fill the crock with them and turn it on. it has worked well for me.
ahowley

Postby Ben » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:00 am

I'm in. But I won't be able to start for another 24 hours - just because I don't have potatoes on hand and it is 9:30 on Sunday night here (in Australia) and I am going to work really early tomorrow morning and I won't be able to buy groceries until tomorrow night.

So I will be starting a 10 day Mary's Mini with potatoes starting on Tuesday morning Australian time.

I am looking forward to it. It will be my way taking the leap (finally!) into McDougalling again after many years of eating total crap. I like the sound of the simplicity of the MM and to me it feels less intimidating than having to decide what to cook and eat.
Ben

Postby nana3boys » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:04 am

deleted
Last edited by nana3boys on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nana3boys

Re: 10 day Mary's Mini

Postby janluvs2heel » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:46 am

HI, I have done Mary's mini before. I had a little dizziness as it lowered my bp very quickly, but now I have been McD'ing for a while, so I wouldn't mind doing it again. I dont think my bp will drop very much more, it is around 108/75 so I should be fine.

I will start tomorrow as I need to go buy more potatos later today.

I almost always have hash browns or oatmeal for breakfast so it will be hash browns for 10 days. That is fine with me. Lunch usually is a potato or 2, depending on their size, with veggies & dinner will be the same.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby nana3boys » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:19 pm

deleted
Last edited by nana3boys on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nana3boys

re: Mary's Mini

Postby janluvs2heel » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:37 pm

I said I was going to start today but I got to the store earlier yesterday so didn't count breakfast which was oatmeal but everything else was potatoes.

Today, I had hash browns-breakfast, 2 potatoes, veggies with about 1/4 c. tomato sauce, a handful of grapes-l. Not too hungry so I will probably just have 1 potato tonight.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby janluvs2heel » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:34 pm

So, I have been on MM since Sunday afternoon. I am having just a wee bit of trouble, I guess it is not bad trouble, but I am not hungry. I eat my hash browns for breakfast, then I get slightly hungry before lunch. I ate 2 small potatoes at lunch & a handful of baby carrots & tomoatoes. I took an apple back to work, but we were short staffed so it is still on my desk. It is 730 pm & I have no interest in food. Is that okay? Do I have to make myself eat if I am not hungry? This is new for me. Last night, I was going to eat a potato but ended up cooking some veggies, but tonight I dont even feel like them. This is like a whole new landscape for me.

Tomorrow is my birthday, I am really looking forward to see what people bring in tomorrow that I will not eat.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby chewy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:49 am

happy birthday jan! hope you have a great day.your lack of appetite seems to exemplify potatoes high satiety .what kind of potatoes are you eating?do you find the potatoes way more filling than oatmeal for breakfast?i think potatoes are much more satisfying....oatmeal always used to leave me hungry shortly afterwards whereas potatoes seem to keep me full.i must say i love the simplicity of mary's mini with potatoes-vegetables,potatoes and fruit......
take care,
chewy
chewy

Postby janluvs2heel » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:00 am

Thanks, Chewy.

I am eating regular spuds, the baking kind, I like the small-medium ones & usually have 2. I buy the pre-shredded potatoes, I forget the brand of hash browns, they are in the refrigerated section, usually by the bacon?? They take less time to cook than the frozen & I think are tastier. Yes, I have found the potatoes keep me going thru the am, where as oatmeal, I am starting to feel hungry within a few hours, sometimes less.

I did decide to eat last night, just a little stir fry of mainly veggies & some potato slices.

Today will be a test for me, I am sure, but I am also sure I will pass. I am taking some fruit with me, just in case.

I will check in tonight or tomorrow, let you know how I did.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby Kare_mahal » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:29 am

chewy wrote:happy birthday jan! hope you have a great day.your lack of appetite seems to exemplify potatoes high satiety .what kind of potatoes are you eating?do you find the potatoes way more filling than oatmeal for breakfast?i think potatoes are much more satisfying....oatmeal always used to leave me hungry shortly afterwards whereas potatoes seem to keep me full.i must say i love the simplicity of mary's mini with potatoes-vegetables,potatoes and fruit......
take care,
chewy

I completely agree. I could never understand why oatmeal is supposed to be so great for satiety... I'll be full when I eat it and I like it but 1 1/2-2 hours later my stomach will literally be growling as though I never ate! Potatoes on the other hand keep me feeling full.
Kare_mahal

Do you limit fruit on Mary's Mini?

Postby Tina » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:36 pm

I've been Mary's Mini-ing (I think I just invented a new verb!) for about a week (no goal or timeline, I've just been feeling like simple meals), and I was wondering if you limit fruit to 2-3 servings a day as is recommended in MWL. I read the McDougall newsletter explaining Mary's Mini, and I didn't see any references to fruit intake, but I'd assume it's the same. Just curious.

Good luck to everyone!
"Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." Albert Einstein
Tina

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program