Diet Coke

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Diet Coke

Postby WishIWasInBuffalo » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:28 am

It was tough when I gave up Diet Coke several years ago. What I did that finally worked was to read the ingredients each time before I had one. Worked like a charm!
WishIWasInBuffalo

Postby LauraA » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:24 am

Great idea! Diet coke was tough for me to give up several years ago too - in fact, I did it several times!! Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

diet coke

Postby Babstitches » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:57 pm

How did you finally give it up? the longest I have gone without is one month.
Barbara
Babstitches

Postby gypwytch » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:54 pm

I'm still drinking coke or pepsi about once a week, or if we go to a restaurant.
It's just me.
gypwytch

Stevia drink mix

Postby lfwfv » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:53 pm

Hi,

I kicked the diet soda habit about a month ago. I was down to about one per week at that point... I just bought one per week at the checkout after grocery shopping (as a treat). What finally convinced me to quit it is when I watched a documentary about artificial sweeteners (i think it's called 'sweet poison') through netflix. It was scary. I finally believed all the facts my husband had tried to drill through my head over the last few years. Very convincing. I had been holding off giving up the diet drinks completely because it really had been my only 'indulgence'. I am eating a gluten-free MWL diet.

But i knew i would probably need something to substitute for the odd times i really really wanted something besides water. So, I found a drink mix called 'stevita' on Amazon (and at netrition.com). I like the lime flavor so far. You use a teeny little bit of mix (i use far less than they suggest- like 1/16tsp for 24 oz of water!) and it tastes great! It's very very cheap. It comes in a little tub, but because you use so little, it literally works out to under 5 cents per drink. Way cheaper than the single-serving drink mixes i used to buy at target. And a heck of a lot better for you. So far I'm doing great using them instead of the diet caffeine free pepsis and diet root beers I used to love.

lfwfv
lfwfv

Postby gypwytch » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:19 pm

Going to see if I can find that in Canada.
It's just me.
gypwytch

great encouragement

Postby catherine1305 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:58 pm

Hi all:
Today is day three of no caffiene for me. I have been drinking just water. I did have a cup of coffee but could only drink 1/2.

I have not had any headaches. I guess I will see how things go this weekend.

Thanks for your advice all.
Cathy
Cathy
Start March 2007

catherine1305

Re: great encouragement

Postby glook » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:42 pm

catherine1305 wrote:Hi all:
I have not had any headaches. I guess I will see how things go this weekend.
Cathy

The headaches were always the worst for me. I had to plan whether to disappoint my family or my employer based on what day I gave up caffeine.

Good luck to you!
glook
glook

Postby catherine1305 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:08 pm

Well I made it through the weekend with no caffiene and did fine.

My only tough time was Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon I thought about a diet pepsi and it really sounded good but I resisted and made it through.

Today I had a sinus headache but I don't think it had to do with the soda. The weather changed and it rained so I think that is what contributed to the headache.

Cathy
Cathy
Start March 2007

catherine1305

Re: Stevia drink mix

Postby LJ » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:47 am

lfwfv wrote:Hi,

What finally convinced me to quit it is when I watched a documentary about artificial sweeteners (i think it's called 'sweet poison') through netflix. It was scary. I finally believed all the facts my husband had tried to drill through my head over the last few years. Very convincing. I had been holding off giving up the diet drinks completely because it really had been my only 'indulgence'. I am eating a gluten-free MWL diet.

lfwfv

Sweet Misery....good documentary and totally worth watching. I haven't TOUCHED anything with aspartame since.

"The food you put into your body is the single most powerful factor that determines your health and well being." Dr. John A. McDougall, MD
LJ

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program