Snacks for Men on MWL

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Snacks for Men on MWL

Postby Becky » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:08 pm

My husband really needs to loose a little weight. He eats regular McD, and is reluctant to give up the pasta and bread products. He also snacks on processed flour snack food, like crackers, etc. Does anyone have any ideas for snacks that men enjoy? Not fruit, as he has at least 3-4 pieces a day already (another problem area).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Becky
See how I am McDougallizing the recipes in
Robin Roberston's "1000 Vegan Recipes" -
https://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com/
Becky

Postby chewy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:52 pm

what about whole grain brown rice cakes and Real Foods corn thins? dipped in salsa is a tasty way to eat them.Air popped popcorn is another option.
chewy

Postby hope101 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:16 pm

Prepared fresh veggies, roasted chickpeas, hummous or black bean spread on crackers or rice cakes, brown rice warmed with soy milk and a little brown sugar (like oatmeal), dry cereal made from whole grains.

You might try asking VeganMan what he eats. He has been very successful at the program.
hope101

Postby happyalyssa » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:11 pm

Also, if you haven't already, take him into a heath food store with you. They have all kinds of goodies (rice crackers & cakes, rye crisps, etc.) that should be acceptable for McDougall program.

Edit: I just now realized that this was for the MWL program & I suppose the (even minimally) processed foods wouldn't be the best idea.

In that case, yeah, buy bags of baby carrots (maybe radishes, broccoli, celery, cauliflower, etc. also) and homemade bean spreads should work great.
happyalyssa

Postby noodle » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:24 pm

Here are my husbands favorites:

Corn tortillas cut into fourths, then I bake them on a cookie sheet at 425 for ten minutes. They come out crispy, and he dips them in salsa or refried beans.

Air popped popcorn.

Potatoes that are sliced french fry style. I bake them on a cookie sheet at 425 for about 20 - 25 minutes and he has them with some organic katsup.

Hope this helps. I'll be interested to see your responses because I'm always on the lookout for stuff to snack on too!
noodle

Thanks for the Ideas!

Postby Becky » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:03 am

I appreciate all the ideas! I will suggest these to DH and see if anything looks good to him. They all sound good to me, so that's somewhere to start!
See how I am McDougallizing the recipes in
Robin Roberston's "1000 Vegan Recipes" -
https://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com/
Becky

We can have corn tortilla's on MWL??

Postby Veggiewannabe » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:21 pm

I had forgotten that...yippppeeee!!!! That's going to help me, too.

Poor DH is feeling a little "cheated" with the newer way I'm cooking under the MWL guidelines (but in all honesty, he's most likely barely close to the 12 day program for lunch when he's on his own!), so I relented and cooked some spaghetti for him last ight. His main gripe was that he's feeling hungrier than before and wants to put the soy burgers/products back into the plan. I've found though that sending him off with snacks for the a.m. when the hunger strikes, has made big difference for him. This tortilla idea is going to be great for that.

Do you put any spices on those tortillas at all when you back them, Noodle?
Veggiewannabe

Postby noodle » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:18 pm

OOPS -

Veggiewannabie, I forgot that this is the MWL forum. I'm not so sure that corn tortillas are Ok?? :oops:

Please forgive me for not being more careful. :?
noodle

Snacks

Postby L » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:20 pm

We like mashed potatoes w/ seasoning and sometimes with ketchup.

L
L

Postby DianeR » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:24 am

There are some McDougall rightfoods cups that are MWL friendly, too.
DianeR

Corn tortillas in posts

Postby Mirrim » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:57 pm

Are corn tortillas allowed on MWL? I thought they were off limits because the corn is ground.

I'd love them as snacks, I just thought I couldn't
Mirrim

Postby scottp » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:53 am

Because corn tortillas are low calorie they are allowed on MWL. If it were me I would be careful about eating too many baked as chips as the baking would make them a little more calorically dense so it would be easier to eat to much.

Scott
scottp

Corn tortillas...whole or refined?

Postby nw dew » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:20 pm

Are corn tortillas and "corn thins'...considered whole or refined foods if watching cholesterol?

Thank you!
nw dew:)
nw dew

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program