How you started and where you are at

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

How you started and where you are at

Postby MadcityVegan » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:13 pm

I thought it would be motivating to read about people’s progress. Example:

1. When did you start?
2. How much has your health improved since starting? (Weight loss, lowered cholesterol etc.)
3. What are your goals?
4. What is your favorite Mcdougall MWL food?

Me:

1. When did you start?
Feb 19, 2007
2. How much has your health has improved since starting? (weight loss, lowered cholesterol etc.)
Lost 8lbs since stating MWL 170-162
3. What are your goals? Loose 37 more lbs (162 to 125), lower my cholesterol from 227 to150
4. What is your favorite Mcdougall MLW food?
Baked potato slices with a little salt dipped in spicy mustard
MadcityVegan

I'll play

Postby slimkat » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:37 pm

1, When did you start?
I'm just beginning full-on McDougalling (I'm doing Mary's Mini challenge and MWL).
I've been a vegan for over a year and a half, though: August 2006.

2, What changes have you noticed?
lower blood pressure -- from 134/86 to 120/80 -- it will be lower still when I drop some lbs, though
much less PMS or symptoms during my period -- I don't even know it's coming -- this is HUGE! This alone is worth being vegan.

3. What are your goals for this year?

a. stay on track and off white flour (and most flour), minimal wheat, minimal refined sugars
b. get in excellent shape to run another sprint triathlon
c. fit into a bikini with ease for my honeymoon in December

4. What is your favorite McDougall food?

Hmmm....I love baked potatoes w/salt and malt vinegar. I also love sweet potatoes plain w/ a little salt.
[/url]
slimkat

OK, I'm in too.

Postby SueZQuilter » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:39 pm

1. When did you start?

Actually started over a year ago and then sadly went astray when I went on vacation and never fully got back until this year.

2. How much has your health improved since starting? (Weight loss, lowered cholesterol etc.)

I have lost 40 pounds since the very beginning and that is with MUCH backsliding. Have lost about 20 so far this year. Now, the best news of all is that my b.p. is WAY down to normal. My b.p. was sky high like 150 or 160/100. It is now 127/77...awesome, huh? I'm more pleased with that than the actual weight loss and I have tons more weight to lose. But, I'm feeling pretty darn healthy now that I'm back to MWL.

3. What are your goals?

I want to lose about another 60-70 pounds or so. But, more importantly, I want to lower my overall cholesterol to 150 or under. That's my major goal and the weight loss will come along for the ride.

That's a really hard question, since I love most MWL foods. I guess my all time favorite is Mary's bean enchiladas, they are just fabulous. I also love Mary's Mexi Soup, a Caribbean bean dish that I made up...it's pretty good, kind of sweet and sour. I like anything with a good kick to it...has to have lots of spice, for the most part...so anything Mexican, Indian...well, actually just about anything that's tasty. :D
Take good care,

Sue D.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." Unknown.
SueZQuilter

Postby happyalyssa » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am

I'm not MWL yet but I'll post my progress so far. Also, I intend on starting MWL in April or so (just made that decision about a bit ago on another thread!) So, wish me luck!

1. When did you start? Regular McDougalling January first, 2007. I've cheated some, all vegan, but more fat grams than I should consume. I also quit caffeine and artificial sweeteners at this time.

2. How much has your health improved since starting? Clear sinuses! Far less PMS symptoms (still have emotional issues, but the cramps are almost nothing now!). LOST 15 LBS. WOOHOO! My bloodpressure is back down to its normal lowish number, it had jumped up a bit over the past 6 months prior to starting McD as I gained a bunch of weight.

3. What are your goals? Lose 40 more pounds. Stick to this program in the long term. To be able to jog with ease. To remain fit and healthy and enjoy it :)

4. What is your favorite Mcdougall MWL food? I don't think I could pick just one :lol: I love brown rice and wild rice with soy sauce. Mashed potatoes will always be a wonderful comfort food. Grapefruits are my favorite snack of choice. And like SueZQuilter, I LOVE anything Mexican or Indian, oh add in Italian in there too would you? :lol: Oh jeez, this is how I got to be 50 lbs overweight to begin with, I just love almost all foods.
Start date: January 1, 2007
23 lbs lost...32 to go!
happyalyssa

Postby libellule » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:28 am

1. When did you start? I started McDougalling during the 1st week of
January.

2. How much has your health improved since starting? Sinuses are much
clearer, less headaches. PMS symptoms have lessened (still have
emotional issues, but the cramps are almost non-existent now).
I have lost 8 lbs since the 2nd week in January. (8 out of the original
23 lbs I lost at the middle of the beginning of 2006.)

3. What are your goals?
a.To lose 12 more pounds.
b. Make this way of eating a permanent lifestyle change and part of me
as if I were born eating this way! :)
c. Be physically fit, healthy and enjoy it!
d. Also, even after eating mostly MWL, keep whole grain, flour
products to a minimum and less emphasis; and emphasize non-
processed fruits, veggies and starchies as my mainstay.

4. What is your fav MWL food? Popcorn w/ nutritional yeast, kiwi and
kale, rice w/ banana and apple sauce, potatoes w/ soy sauce or barbq
sauce.
Last edited by libellule on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
libellule

Postby JulieF » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:51 am

1. When did you start? I started the MWL program (hadn't done any type of McDougall program before that) on January 30.

2. How much has your health improved since starting? I have more energy (that was my biggest problem). Fewer headaches. My cholesterol, blood sugar, etc. numbers are very good, but I'm hoping to improve my chances of not having heart disease (both parents have had bypass surgery). I've lost 18 pounds since I began.

3. What are your goals? I need to lose another 50 pounds. Plus, I want to get more physically fit. I've been walking (I have bad knees so there's not a lot I can do), but I want to take swimming lessons and start swimming with a goal of participating in the next regional Senior Olympic games. I'm trying to help my husband, too. He isn't fully into the McDougall way of eating, but he's made some major improvements, so I'm pleased with that. He's overweight and has high cholesterol and blood pressure. I hope that he can eventually get off his medication. I plan to stay on the MWL program until I get my excess weight off, then continue with the regular program for the rest of my life.

4. What is your favorite MWL food? I eat a TON of beans and red/black/brown rice. I cook all different types of beans in my pressure cooker and add lots of yummy spices and chiles. I like to roast vegies on my grill. I also make a big salad several times a week (with a big variety of fresh vegies) and use some wonderful balsamic vinegar I bought at a vineyard for dressing.
New to McDougall; started 1/30/07
JulieF

Postby PattyC » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

JulieF wrote:I eat a TON of beans and red/black/brown rice. I cook all different types of beans in my pressure cooker and add lots of yummy spices and chiles.

Hi Julie,

I, too, love beans and my pressure cookers. My problem is that I find that I use the same mixtures over and over again. I would love some new ideas. Care to share some of your recipes?

Pat
Pat

PattyC

Postby JulieF » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:41 am

PattyC wrote:
JulieF wrote:I eat a TON of beans and red/black/brown rice. I cook all different types of beans in my pressure cooker and add lots of yummy spices and chiles.

Hi Julie,

I, too, love beans and my pressure cookers. My problem is that I find that I use the same mixtures over and over again. I would love some new ideas. Care to share some of your recipes?

Pat

I hardly ever use recipes; I'm one of those cooks who throws things into the pot--and then can't remember later what ingredients I used! :-) As a result, nothing ever comes out the same way twice.

I've been experimenting a lot--trying different spices. But one of my favorite ingredients is the green chiles (two varieties--one that's grown in Hatch, NM, and one that's grown in southern Colorado, called Pueblo chile) that I freeze every year (I usually put up five bushels each fall). Here in Coloroado they're a staple in our diet. I used to make a green chile gravy that was based on pork. Now I'm adding the green chile to the beans when I cook them instead. I love cilantro and usually use a batch or two in a large pot of beans. Another chile I like is called chile molido puro; I don't know whether you can get it outside of Colorado and New Mexico. It's ground, dried red peppers (I don't know the variety). I like to add a little liquid smoke sometimes, and I almost always use cumin. Garlic and onion are a must. I also let my beans cook a long time--longer than is recommended for pressue cookers--so that they're really soft and the broth is thick.

I don't know how helpful that is. I rely a lot on local ingredients, as you can see.
JulieF

Postby PattyC » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:23 pm

JulieF wrote:
PattyC wrote:

Hi Julie,

Pat
I hardly ever use recipes; I'm one of those cooks who throws things into the pot--and then can't remember later what ingredients I used! :-) As a result, nothing ever comes out the same way twice.

Unfortunately and/or fortunately, that's basically how I cook my beans too. I use the basic three - cumin, garlic, onions and then go from there depending on how my brain is going at the time. Many times I add oregano.

I don't recognize the chilies you mentioned. One pepper I like to use here is the pasilla - I think they have that smoky taste and they're not super hot but I think they have a lot of flavor.

I have not tried cooking them until they are soft and thick - I think I'll do that the next time - that would be different for me. I usually end up with some kind of broth and beans and maybe that's what's boring me.

I wonder if the Hatch green enchilada sauce comes anywhere near the green sauce that you make? That's what instantly came to my mind when you said Hatch. Hmmmmmmmmmm!

Thanks Julie.
Pat

PattyC

Postby happyalyssa » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:44 pm

When I cook, I try to think reigonally. I'm bad at using recipes, I vary them often.

The Southwestern style beans has been mentioned so I won't cover that :)

For Italian style try making up a batch of white navy or cannelini beans and adding basil, oregano, thyme, garlic, & onion in a tomato based sauce.

For Creole, you could do black-eyed-peas with some dried red chilie flakes, thyme, celery, onion, cayenne, paprika, black pepper, garlic (could do this in a tomato based sauce also, or by itself).

For Asian, try aduki (or azuki) beans with soy sauce, some minced garlic, minced ginger, a pinch of sesame seeds (or 2-3 drops of sesame oil- I know oil isn't supposed to be used but with sesame oil, a couple drops add a big burst of flavor).

For Indian use chickpeas or lentils and add your favorite curry powder. Try some dried chilies too if you like it hot. If you eat coconut, this is fabulous with lite coconut milk mixed in, though I know that pushes the limits also :)

For BBQ, try pinto or kidney beans in a tomato based sauce with some garlic &onion, an added splash of bbq sauce, couple drops of liquid smoke (if you use it), maybe a squirt of ketchup or a tablespoon or two of vinegar, and desired sweetener (maple syrup, vegan sugar, agave nectar, stevia, whatever you use).

I'm sure there's more ideas out there. I've never much cooked any type of African foods so if someone has a great recipe they'd like to share, please do!
Start date: January 1, 2007
23 lbs lost...32 to go!
happyalyssa

Postby PattyC » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:31 pm

Hey Alyssa,

Thanks for the input - those are great ideas too. I do have some good "recipes" but they take longer and even though I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sorely lacking in the use of herbs and a large variety of spices to just throw in at a whim and come up with some good beans.
Pat

PattyC

Postby chewymom » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:08 pm

1. When did you start? I just started one week ago, today. And I didn't really begin to comply fully until Sunday because we already had a dinner scheduled on Saturday where we were the guests and didn't bring any of the food.

2. How much has your health improved since starting? I can't really answer this...yet. Although my health is actually pretty good at the moment, other than my weight.

3. What are your goals? My main goal is to lose weight. I also am hoping, hoping, hoping that I can stick with this long-term. I'm kinda mourning my Little Caesar's Deep Dish Veggie Pizza and Macaroni Grill....(Does it get easier, or do you plan "cheats" for the foods you really, really loved??)
4. What is your favorite MWL food? Well, at the moment I'm eating tons of potatoes, so I guess that's my fave?? Who knew you could do so much with potatoes (besides gooping them up with butter and sour cream)?
Can I just say that I was totally blown away when I weighed this morning. I stayed at the same weight for several days and was questioning whether this would even work or whether I was going to actually gain weight. And then WHAM--several pounds just fell off! :shock:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjn953b/]
[/url]
chewymom

Postby JulieF » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:29 am

chewymom wrote: I'm kinda mourning my Little Caesar's Deep Dish Veggie Pizza and Macaroni Grill....

My hubby and I went to a movie a couple of weeks ago, and he wanted to eat at the Macaroni Grill afterward (it's right next door to the theater). I'd never been there before, so I wondered whether there would be anything other than a dinner salad for me to eat.

I was happy to see that they had whole wheat pasta. I had the "build your own" pasta. I got the whole wheat penne pasta, and had the spicy marinara sauce and three added vegies. Had them hold the cheese. I felt pretty good about it; I could have done a lot worse. The only thing I noticed is that there was more grease in the sauce or vegies (I'm not sure of the source) than I would have liked. I brought half of it home in a container, and when I warmed it the next day I saw that it left quite a bit of grease on the container. Other than that, not a bad meal, especially with the yummy spinach salad I had with it (I picked out the sugared walnuts and croutons and gave them to my husband). I asked for balsamic vinegar and used that as my dressing.
JulieF

Postby heffies » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:43 pm

This thread was a good idea!

1. When did you start?
I started on January 22nd. I've been on the MWL program for 2 months now.

2. How much has your health improved since starting?
(Weight loss, lowered cholesterol etc.) I've lost 26.5 pounds. My blood pressure went from slightly high to normal. I feel lighter and have more confidence watching my clothes get looser! I've stopped craving dairy, but miss bread! I haven't had any significant improvements when it comes to PMS or mood, but I'm hoping that will change soon.

3. What are your goals?
I want to lose 45.5 more pounds. I want to switch over to the regular McDougall program when I've reached my desired weight. I also am hoping that doing MWL will cure my binge eating.

Black beans and jasmine rice with tomatoes and shredded lettuce mixed in.

217/188/145
heffies

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program