Cheap potatoes!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Cheap potatoes!

Postby KitKat » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:04 pm

Yes potatoes are cheap! And delicious, I love the logic of it. I'm lucky my scale was checked at the doctors so it's accurate - same with the b/p machine.

I knew a woman who had terrible problems with osteoporosis, back pain & slipped discs, and she was a big believer in natural herbs & supplements, but she ate dairy & meat. She was so convinced that you needed dairy for bones, but actually that makes the problem worse. Too bad so much misinformation out there.
KitKat

Help!

Postby KitKat » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:08 pm

I just meant to post a reply to the other thread but I accidentally made a new topic! :oops: But if people want to chit chat about cheap potatos here that's ok too.
Last edited by KitKat on Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KitKat

So what's not cheap on the McDougall program?

Postby SarahJ » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:14 pm

Maybe a "designer" bottle of salsa? Anasazi Beans ordered online? (I passed those up because of the price) I don't think you could come up with a more economical way of eating!
SarahJ

Postby KitKat » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:21 pm

Yes that's one thing I love about it. I did spend quite a bit on potato toppings, salsa, Hawaiian dressing, BBQ sauce and ketchup but those should last a long time, esp as I also use cheaper toppings like s&p and lemon & salt or vinegar with soy sauce.

This way of eating works on so many levels, like it's good for the environment and humane to animals, healthy, works for weight loss, and cheap! Too bad people are so stubborn about their indocterination, I mean most people including me were brought up with these notions and the media is so full of misinformation.
KitKat

Postby havfaith » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:14 pm

I know! I got a 10-lb bag of potatoes for $1.39 and salsa was on sale too! :-D Can't beat the savings at the grocery.
havfaith

Postby slugmom » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:24 am

I agree, potatoes can be cheap ....
but produce in Michigan in the winter isn't!
- Kim

slugmom

Postby Malva » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:21 pm

It's not the produce that's expensive, rather it is the cost of shipping it in from California or Mexico (or Chili).
In the winter you'll need to eat more locally stored produce. Find out what is produced and warehoused in your area. Also, frozen veggies are sometimes fresher than produce trucked in from hundreds (or thousands) of miles away as they are frozen soon after harvesting (usually the same day).

My personal belief is that human beings were meant to live closer to the equator because that's the source of year-round foods that are most nutritious for us. Many of our cities here in the U.S. are located in areas that are transporation centers for getting goods around the country.
Most of the population lives on either coast where goods are imported and exported around the world. It's in those areas where you'll find that produce is less expensive because they are easier (and cheaper) to transport to.
I do a more restricted Program to maintain my weight & health. I have been McDougalling for about 30 years, with a long transition, until I finally accepted this lifestyle, stayed on Program and reached my goal back in 2006.
Malva

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program