Strict from the start or ease into it?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Strict from the start or ease into it?

Postby KellyC » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:52 pm

Hello! I'm curious, did you ease into eating the McDougall way or did you start out strict from the start? I tried easing into it this week, but it's not working well for me. I'm thinking it'll be easier to just be strict from the start, because after a few days, my blood sugar will remain stable and I won't have as many cravings. Just my guess though. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
KellyC

Postby kimba » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:12 pm

When I did it years ago, I just jumped right in and did it. It worked out well for me doing it that way. It to me if you ease into it, its like slow torture. You dont want that.

kimba
kimba

Eased into it over 12 years

Postby Purdy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:07 pm

Everyone is different. I'm not one to leap into new miracle diets, cures or the latest environmental causes.
So Dr. McDougall seemed to make sense with every step. A few steps here and a few more there.
All very easy, all very natural steps in the correct direction.
Similar to the way I enter into exercise. I don't suddenly go out and begin training for a marathon. I've slowly gotten into better shape over about 6 to 7 years of training.
My diet has progressively improved over about 12 years.
Never, not for a moment did I feel deprived. Each step was easy.
For a long time I still used a small amount of milk on cereal and in tea.
In the past 12 months I've changed to entirely to soy milk and think its wonderful.
Tastes great and I love always having containers that don't go bad in a week.

Slowly have taken in more nuts, some tofu, beans and all manner of wonderful veggies. Now I love them.
My weight has slowly lowered with each step in diet as well as my progression in exercise.
All this adaptation talk that seems to encompass about half the posts here is all unknown to me.
I've never had even a moment of trouble in my gradual adaptation.
I wasn't in a rush and thus under no pressure to become perfect overnight nor to lose weight in only months.
I have steady growing faith and increased comfort in each degree of change I've made.
I just wish everyone had such a easy time following excellent eating.
Thats why I'm such a advocate of telling those who are troubled with adaptation to slow down......allow yourself some time.
With time and gradualism, there is no wagon to fall off.
This aint religion and eating "imperfectly" ain't sinning.

With few exceptions, most here are gonna be living for decades. My dietary changes relative to 12 years ago are amazing and all without effort.
So why not maximize your healthy eating over a time frame that allows you to remain on a healthier and healthier path...rather than doing what too many do......start full speed.....falter....quit for months......re-start full speed....falter......quit for months.....

Bottom line is that you have to know thyself. What is your past history of dietary change. A long history of perfection or repeated attempts ending in failure.
Take the future path that will allow you to maximize your healthy eating over the next 20 years.
For me, that was achieved by taking it gradually such that I ended up in excellent eating for many years with no end in sight.
Why, without effort, I'm almost become what would be considered a "health nut".
I still don't like the label, vegetarian....but with only a few exceptions thats what I am ( but I don't wear sandals or chant in airports ) :D
I tell people I can eat anything I want, but in practice I eat very few bad things.
So bottom line, gradualism has worked for me, but its not a very popular stance on this forum.
Purdy

Postby hope101 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:09 pm

I think you'll get as many different answers as people. You have to know what is best for you and for your family if they are on the journey with you too. As a family we gave up meat first with suprising ease because of the meat substitutes I used to rely on. It took time to find substitutes for the dairy we were used to but the day finally hit when I could be sure my kids were enjoying the "milks" they were drinking. At first I was buying "cheese" for my DH that didn't contain whey or lactose but still had whey. In a matter of months it just didn't become important to him at all to have substitutes around. Somewhere along the way things just started clicking and foods that had been SAD staples in our house don't even get asked for anymore. The meat analogs have almost completely disappeared or get used purely for flavouring purposes. I wouldn't be surprised if one day, when I have had a chance to tweak more recipes that they aren't a distant memory too. Our last step was to go low fat although we had always been lower fat even by SAD standards. Im still trying recipes I used to bake without fat and keep being astonished at how well they work out. It's partly about confidence in knowing I can produce foods that everyone will enjoy.

So in the end, our process as well as the distinct lack of feeling deprived is close to Purdy's experience, although done over 13 months. I really can't imagine anything that would come along to change my (our) commitment to this lifestyle because it is so easy. Please keep in mind this is in direct contrast to my only other "dieting" experience of Weight Watchers. That was sudden, I was completely gung ho in a white knuckle, I-better-do-this-immediately-and-see-success-quickly-or-I-can-never-stick-with-it kind of way. This process is much more gently, seems to come from a different internal place and feels like the other changes I have made in my life that have been life-altering, sustainable and deeply satisfying

BTW, part of the gradual process for me is that I'm on the regular program. Perhaps someday I'll need to do MWL, and I am mindful of its principles, but I haven't needed to be that strict yet.
hope101

Postby jenn* » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:06 pm

I think that you are probably right. And if easing isn't working, might as well try being strict. What have you got to lose besides cravings and pounds? I have to jump in and commit completely. If I allow a little of this here and there, my cravings just make me cave in. When I'm really strict about doing MWL, my cravings subside quickly, and I even seem to have more control when it comes to portion size. Whenever I need to step up my diet and excercise, it has to be all or nothing or it just doesn't stick. Best of luck. If you try the stricter approach, let us know how it works for you. And remember, every meal is a perfect opportunity to start all over again. Don't give up! :)
"veganism starts with vegetarianism and carries it through to its logical conclusion" -Donald Watson, founder of Vegan Society

jenn*

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program