Help

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Help

Postby ebecker9 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:04 pm

Hello,

I am new this forum. About five ago I found Dr. McDougall as I was recovering from gall bladder surgery. I wish I would have known long before that episode that diet does make a difference. I was faithfully following the program for almost two years, feeling good physically and feeling good about myself. Then things changed and I regained the wait I had lost and now need to loose at least 65 lbs. I am feeling sluggish and tired. I do ride bike or walk the two miles to school every day.

I have tried getting back on the McDougall program, however, by the end of the first day I have sidetracked back to bad eating. I find my self surrounded by “bad food which I have a terrible time resisting. I teach and in the faculty room is found all kinds of “bad” treats. There are also the fatty and sugary foods at home, which are difficult to resist. It is hard when there is not a whole lot of support for the veggie, fruit, and whole grain life style around. It is not that there is no support, it is just misdirected.

I also know that I eat because of the stress in the work place.

Help! How do I get back on track and stay there. I have come to a point of frustration trying to make this change and not being able to make it past the first few days. I want to get back on track because I know how good it was in the past.
ebecker9

Postby stephanie » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:12 pm

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you've been struggling, but I think it's helpful to know that you're not alone in your difficulties. I, for one, am in somewhat the same position as you--knowing that this WOE is the healthiest out there, but having trouble recommitting after lapsing back into old patterns. Our culture just doesn't promote preventive healthcare and looking after one's wellbeing at the most basic levels, so it can definitely be a challenge to swim against the tide.

I think you have a huge advantage in knowing that McDougalling works from your own past experience, so you don't have the added hurdle of wondering whether the extra effort will pay off. For me, thinking back to how great I felt both physically and about myself when I was McDougalling provides some motivation to get going again.

Another strategy that others have suggested and I'm trying to implement myself is thinking of this in terms of one-day commitments. It can be really intimidating to make a commitment to anything "forever," and, being a perfectionist, I tend to get really anal about being 100% "perfect" 100% of the time. The problem with this is that when I stray for even one meal or snack, I tend to then think, "Well, I've ruined it already, so I might as well give up now." Instead, what I'm trying out now is saying to myself in the morning, "OK, today I'm going to follow McDougall," then I remind myself of that one-day commitment throughout the day when difficult or tempting situations arise. If I'm only thinking of one day at a time, it's easier to pass up unhealthy foods, because they'll still be there tomorrow if I really want them. By continually stringing one-day commitments together, you'll eventually be at a week, then a month, until you reach a point where unhealthy choices no longer have such a strong hold on you.

Being prepared also helps. It's a lot easier to resist the junk food in the workroom if you have a healthy and tasty lunch and snacks packed at your desk. It can be a pain to take the time to do this, but it's worth it in the end.

Also, be patient with yourself. If you slip up along the way, pick yourself up and resume from where you left off instead of beating yourself up for "failing." This is a process of changing, and it's not likely to happen overnight. If you keep seeing yourself succeeding and keep imagining how great you're going to feel after sticking with it for a little while, I think your choices will naturally align themselves with what you need to do to achieve that goal.

And keep posting your success/struggles. This board is very supportive!

Best,
Stephanie
stephanie

Welcome E,

Postby Steve » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:51 am

I guess my recommendations are to read or re-read the McDougall books, starting with the Maximum Weight Loss book and view the McDougall DVD's including the Pleasure Trap. By focusing on these messages I become convinced, deep down, that I must do the program. Then after being careful for a period of time, about 90 days, the cravings are gone and it becomes easier.
Best of luck.
Steve

Postby DianeR » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:45 am

Here is a lecture of Dr. Lisle talking about the Pleasure Trap. It explains well why those first few days or weeks are tough, but then how everything becomes much easier after that. It isn't just a matter of will power, but brain chemistry as well.
http://vsh.voip-info.org/lisle.html

A short time commitment is good. Forever is a scary concept.

I also found it useful to write down what I ate. Somehow this made it easier to eat healthier.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts. --
Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan
DianeR

Postby Malva » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:38 am

All the previous suggestions are great!
To them I would add, if you had problems sticking with the Maximum Weight Loss Program, go back and start with the Regular McDougall Program. Do that for 6 months or so, until you are comfortable with the general diet, then move to the more restricted MWL program.

For some folks, steps can be more successful.

Check out the free program at drmcdougall.com
I do a more restricted Program to maintain my weight & health. I have been McDougalling for about 30 years, with a long transition, until I finally accepted this lifestyle, stayed on Program and reached my goal back in 2006.
Malva

Postby rchess » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:40 pm

I practice meditation in the morning and I've found that the same mental tactics apply to my diet. I review the basics each morning and as long as I do this I do well on my diet.

Here are things that I've found to be important to me.

I have to plan ahead and always have food available that's on my diet.
I make a green smoothie every morning and take a quart to work so at least I have the smoothie so I can prevent hunger.

Don't get hungry. Hunger triggers all of my old cravings for SAD food.

Start lunch and Dinner with a good portion of green and/or yellow veggies. Blunt the appetite with veggies (low calorie food) and finish with basic rice and beans (or your choice of McD starch)

Use will power and don't take the first bite of SAD food. If I take the first bite it's all over. I really don't feel deprived if I just exercise will power and resist the first bite.

Spend time every day reading from supportive books, watching DVDs, reading and participating in the forum. It doesn't have to be a lot of time but it's worth your health to spend 30 min. - 1 hr. a day.

Hope something here is helpful.

Best Wishes,
Robert

Best wishes in your
Meditation, Nutrition, and Exercise practice.
May all Beings be free of suffering.
rchess

Thank you

Postby ebecker9 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Thank you for your suggestions and encouragement. One successful day done.
ebecker9

Help

Postby rchess » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:05 am

Congratulations Ebecker. Start each day with renewed passion.

Best Wishes,
Robert

Best wishes in your
Meditation, Nutrition, and Exercise practice.
May all Beings be free of suffering.
rchess

Postby Patsy » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:42 am

One day at a time has been key for me. I commit each day to today. And I stopped all negative talk about myself and what a failure I am. If I "mess up" it's a choice I made, not a character flaw. However, the more I succeed the more I like the feeling and the easier it becomes. Also, I have learned to ALWAYS have something good on hand to eat. Take the suggestions that everyone has made and try them until you find the path that works best for you. Good luck and keep posting!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wHiGN7M/]
[/url]
Patsy

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:24 am

good piece of advice Patsy. Yes, you can have anything in the world to eat. So don't belittle yourself if you choose to partake. But do remind yourself that you are doing it for health, and if you make an unhealthy choice, then you'll need to make some good ones. I often think, that cake look so good, but i choose not to eat it. So much easier mentally that I'm not allowed it. That sets up binges.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Have you read Mad Cowboy?

Postby Casey » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:23 pm

Hi,

My name is Casey; I'm a long-time lurker/first-time poster.
I can relate to all of these stories about staying on MWL; it can be challenging!

One thing I recently found that has been very effective at keeping me on track is the book, "Mad Cowboy." Oh my goodness! It is written by an ex-cattle rancher, and he gives the grisly details on what is REALLY in our food! When I see anyone eating something I "wish" I could have, too, I instantly recall "Mad Cowboy," and the urge subsides. Once the urge is gone, I am able to remember what I'm doing and why.

I also discovered a book called, "The Beck Diet Solution," which isn't about a particular diet (choose any healthy diet, it says), but it's about training your brain to think like a thin person. Since I have a "high tolerance for consumption" LOL I am hoping this book will help me with why/when I eat. I just started it, though, so I can't say anything for sure.

I have found that my deep belief in Dr. McDougall's program, and the gross-factor of "Mad Cowboy," together, is a sure-fire diet cocktail!
Anyway, these are just 2 things that have really helped me lately, maybe they will help you.

Best of luck,
Casey
Casey

I remember this one piece of thought...

Postby Wendy » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:45 pm

... by Doug Lisle, PhD, that keeps me going on the right track.

He said, "What feels wrong is right and what feels right is wrong." Meaning, in today's world, eating right will feel wrong, but it's the right thing to do.

In time, your tastebuds will change. Be patient.
Wendy

Re: Help

Postby Mandy_Sav » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:44 am

ebecker9 wrote: There are also the fatty and sugary foods at home, which are difficult to resist.

Get rid of the temptations in your home. If other family members feel they NEED these foods. Have them hide them in a place where you won't see them... better yet, be sure they don't even tell you that these foods are in the house. If the bad foods are staring you in the face day in and day out you'll just be making life more difficult for yourself for nothing!

Congrats on coming back to McDougall, and I wish you the best on your journey. This board is full of wonderful people who've been through what you're going through, or whom are going through it now. Everyone is so incredibly friendly and extremely encouraging. You'll feel right at home here. I know I do. :)
Mandy
Mandy_Sav

Postby Eppy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:45 am

I lost 97 pounds on the program 5 years ago and kept it off for two years and then got lazy and gained back about 75 pounds. About 2 months ago, I reached the point that the SAD diet just wasn't worth feeling awful anymore and I went back on the plan and am down 22 pounds again. You have to reach the point that being healthy is MORE important than the SAD food that you want to put in your mouth!!! Coming to this site helps!!! It also helps me to exercise first thing in the morning. WHen I do, I go the whole day thinking that I did my exercise, so why blow things now?

Good luck!!!!!
Eppy

Postby Mandy_Sav » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:47 pm

Eppy wrote: It also helps me to exercise first thing in the morning. WHen I do, I go the whole day thinking that I did my exercise, so why blow things now?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! That is so true! I have the same mindset when I exercise in the morning.
Mandy
Mandy_Sav

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program