The McDougall Plan for Maximum Weight Loss

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

The McDougall Plan for Maximum Weight Loss

Postby Mandy_Sav » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:34 pm

I just purchased this book, and the Quick & Easy Cookbook from the McDougall site.
I can't WAIT for them to arrive. Especially the MWL one.
Soooooo thirsty for knowledge.
Anyone have any tips for getting started on MWL before the book arrives?
Mandy
Mandy_Sav

There is a WEALTH of infomation right here

Postby LuAnn » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:57 pm

on this website. In fact, Dr. McDougall's basic program is outlined in detail, including meal plans and recipes here also - for FREE! See http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html

However, the MWL plan, which I describe as the basic program kicked up a few notches, does have a few tweaks specifically addressing the needs of people trying to reach their weight goals! It also has meal plans and recipes are helpful for those on the MWL plan. I have found reading it to be very inspiring and helpful, and am already recommending it to friends.

The two programs have much in common. You can probably get started even before your books come by following the basic program as outlined here. However, if you plan to do the Maximum Weight Loss Program, you will want to note these main DIFFERENCES:

*The MWL program is ULTRA low fat, excluding even the use of ANY olives, avocados and nuts
*The MWL program requries that grains be eaten in their WHOLE form - that is before they are ground into flour (think whole kernel oats, kamut, barley, brown rice, etc.)
*There is an emphasis on using green and yellow vegetables
*Fruits are limited to two servings per day

All the best, Mandy, I look forward to going on this journey with you. I just posted, introducing myself and telling about my first 12 days on the MWL Program. There are a lot of very encouraging people here who have made the journey before us and are willing to help along the way!
LuAnn

Postby Mandy_Sav » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:34 am

Hi LuAnn,

I've farmiliarized myself with the basic program, but I am not losing any weight on it. That is because I am treating myself WAY too often. All the goodies I bake are McDougall legal, however..... eating the whole batch of muffins doesn't help with weight loss! lol

I knew that the MWL plan would be more strict, but I had no idea that fruit was so limited. Are some fruit better than others on the MWL plan? I adore bananas. I certainly hope I don't have to eliminate them from my diet. Then again, I will eliminate them if it is required.

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement LuAnn. You're right about these boards. There are tons of people who've been through it and are happy to help us along our way. I love the people here. Everyone is so friendly and extremely supportive! McDougallers ROCK! :-)
Mandy
Mandy_Sav

Re: The McDougall Plan for Maximum Weight Loss

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:01 am

Mandy_Sav wrote:Anyone have any tips for getting started on MWL before the book arrives?

Michelle Dick's fatfree.com website has a whole page comparing the 2 McDougall programs:

http://www.fatfree.com/diets/mcdougall.html
VeggieSue

Postby Mandy_Sav » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:30 pm

Thanks Sue!
I will take a look at the link.
Mandy
Mandy_Sav

MWL - long

Postby Steve » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:39 am

Congrats on getting the books. You are in for a real treat. Pretty much baking is not MWL. Instead your starches will be safer, brown rice, potatoes, and barley. As long as you do not add fats and oils it will be hard not to lose weight. Also limiting fruit to 2 normal sized ones per day will help. In my case I need to restrict fruit even more becasue my triglycerides go up with fruit. But I have found that large amounts of non-sweet fruit is not a problem for me. My spouse is a biology teacher and she tells me that anything with seeds is actually a fruit. So I enjoy tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers and such. I also eat lots of carrots which are kind of sweet and also fill me up.
Before the books come you might try baked or Microwaved potaotes. Be carefull what you put on them. I enjoy Mrs. Dash seaoning with a little bit of low soidum soy sauce. Salsa is good too. Try to stay away from anything with High Fructose corn syrup. That ingredient is kind of addictive for me and if I use toppings with this in it I wind up eating a lot just to get more of the silly topping. Potatoes is what I started with. By the time the books come you will be ready for some great recipes.
When you get the books here are some of the recipes that I enjoy and a few tips.
MWL, Fried Rice, I use the success brand brown rice boil in bags, very easy and the rice comes out perfect. I also add a tablespoon of white wine or sherry when "frying" the rice. Another favorite is the Vegetable Chilli. This is especially good over rice. The trick to making this one easy is to use canned beans, rinsed and drained.
In the Quick and Easy cook book I enjoy the International Stew and just add a little red wine and some canned mushrooms or zuchinni or bell pepper. Goes great with rice. I also enjoy the Gazpacho. There are many MWL recipes in all McDougall books. All of the recipes are great. You might stick to the MWL book recipes until you finish the book so you do not go wrong.
You will lose weight, big time. It comes down to math. The beauty of this thing is that you do not have to count anything. Carrots and rice are always less calories then meat, oil, ice cream and twinkies. When you are up to it try adding exercise. You will need smaller sized clothing soon. Sorry for the rant.
Keep us informed.
Steve

Postby Mandy_Sav » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:16 am

Steve,

Don't apologize for the rant! I very much appreciate the tips and advice. We're all in this together, right!? ;)

I had no idea that bell peppers were fruit. I guess that means zucchini is too! I adore zucchini, do I have to limit it because it is a fruit, or do I only have to limit the "traditional" idea of fruit - ie: apples, bananas, berries, melons, etc.?

I regularly enjoy baked potatoes, and I am estatic that they are MWL legal. However, I will have to modify my topping choices. Ha! I eat them with vegan sour cream and salsa right now. I guess I'll have to start leaving out the vegan sour cream (the ingredients aren't too pretty - water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, isolated soy protein, maltodextrin, tofu, nondairy lactic acid, cellulose, locust bean, guar and carrageenan gums, sugar, salt, vegetable mono and diglycerides, potassium sorbate - added as a preservative).
I could never use Mrs. Dash or soy sauce on my food. I am repulsed by salt, or anything that tastes salty. I'm am not entirely certain why, but I think it is because I grew up in a family where salt was NEVER added to food. I find now if I eat something with salt, or something of the like in it, it is all I can taste and it ruins the food. I do believe that this issue has worsened since I quit smoking in January too. I got my taste buds back, and everything has more flavour.

I'm happy to hear that the MWL book itself contains recipes. I was worried about trying to figure out which of the recipes in the quick and easy cookbook (which I also ordered) were MWL friendly.. but as time passes, I will become more knowledgeable about the MWL program, and what sort of ingredients are legal.

I just need to ask this right now. I LOVE chickpeas, and use them in sooooo many things that I cook. Are these MWL legal? *crosses fingers*
Mandy
Mandy_Sav

Postby Mandy_Sav » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:17 am

Oh my goodness, I just realized that I can't have tofu on the MWL program. :cry:
Mandy
Mandy_Sav

what ever works for you

Postby Fern » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:25 am

I think it will be great for you to try MWL. You will learn a new way of eating. Don't go into this thinking that it's a permanent thing. It can help you find out what works for you and what doesn't. I find that baking isn't something I can do. If I bake, I eat until it's gone, no matter what I promise myself. So regardless of MWL, that is a rule for me. I eat lots of fruit because it keeps me from eating sweets. So, I strongly suggest strictly following the program because it's a good exercise but pay close attention to how you feel and then try some tweaks and see how they work for you over time.
Fern

MWL

Postby Steve » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:50 pm

Mandy,
Zuchini and bell peppers are not restricted. Only the "sweet fruits". Chick peas or garbonzo beans are legal for MWL. You will find them in some of the recipes. However, they are relatively high in protien. Too much protien would be of concern for kidney problems or osteoporosis. Remember it is the starchy stuff that fills us up safely. There are about 100 recipes in the MWL book and about 300 in quick and easy. Good for you for avoiding salt. By the way Mrs. Dash has no salt, but is spicy and comes in different flavors. There is an excellent cilantro / tomato salsa recipe in the MWL book made with a blender or food processor. We make it all of the time. Goes great on potato, or with baked corn tortillas. The MWL book has some of the best recipes ever.
Steve

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:11 am

Mandy_Sav wrote:I'm happy to hear that the MWL book itself contains recipes. I was worried about trying to figure out which of the recipes in the quick and easy cookbook (which I also ordered) were MWL friendly.. but as time passes, I will become more knowledgeable about the MWL program, and what sort of ingredients are legal.

A long time McDougaller named rem made up a chart a few years ago of which recipes in various McDougall books are MWLP-legal. I just uploaded this pdf file:

http://geocities.com/sue_in_nj/MWL_recipe_list.pdf

Thanks again, rem, where ever you are!

And you can find more MWLP-legal recipes on Susan V's web site on the MWLP page:

http://www.fatfreevegan.com/mwl/index.shtml

I just need to ask this right now. I LOVE chickpeas, and use them in sooooo many things that I cook. Are these MWL legal? *crosses fingers*

All beans are legal BUT they're restricted to only 1 cup a day total because of their high protein content. That's for all of Dr. McDougall's programs, not just MWLP. Tofu would count as bean intake, too, so adjust accordingly once you go back to the regular plan.
VeggieSue

Postby Mandy_Sav » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:51 am

So lots of rice and veggies, and just a little bit of beans.
I think I got it.
Are there any MWL legal salad dressing recipes floating around?
Mandy
Mandy_Sav

Postby bob2200 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:25 am

Mandy_Sav wrote:Are there any MWL legal salad dressing recipes floating around?
Some people go with flavored vinegars. Personally, I like thick, so I mix fat-free hummos (chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic, water) with tomato paste and herbs. I guess that's MWL, I don't think of a tomato as a fruit.
bob2200

Postby Mandy_Sav » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:57 pm

Thanks Bob, I like a thicker dressing as well.
Mandy
Mandy_Sav

Here's my favorite way to do a MWL-friendly dressing.

Postby LuAnn » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:34 am

I always add a few beans to my salad - makes it more satisfying. I realize Dr. McDougall places a limit on amt. of beans for the day, but I stay within the limit - perhaps adding just one can's worth for the my family. (You can use no-salt canned beans if sodium is a problem, or if, like you Mandy, you just don't LIKE the taste of salt!). Better yet, cook your own beans, so you can season them to taste AND they've not been processed in the aluminum cans! Anyway back to the dressing...I tend to get side-tracked!

Save the liquid from the homecooked or processed beans, amount needed will depend on how much dressing you want. Add an equal amount of rice vinegar (you can use one of the seasoned varieties - I like the garlic flavor). Whisk in whatever herbs suit your fancy. Done!

It has the body of a bottled dressing, but none of the fat! AND IT'S DELICIOUS!

Now you see what developing and testing over 500 recipes did to me.
(Nothing that a few months of intense MWL McDougalling can't undo)!
LuAnn

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program