BBQ Sauce and Fat Free Salad Dressing

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

BBQ Sauce and Fat Free Salad Dressing

Postby Kevtrane » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:46 pm

I had two questions that I am hoping to get some opinions on, especially those from successful MWL veterans.

Is Bar B Que Sauce a legal MWL Food? I know Dr. MacDougall talks about using it on his morning potatoes and baked potatoes etc. but I'm curious where it falls out in the MWL World.

When I need a fast meal I like to stop at Wendy's for a couple of Baked Potatoes and a couple of side salads. I love their Fat Free French Dressing but again I'm not sure if this dressing is MWL legal or not.
Kevtrane

Yes...and no!

Postby LuAnn » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:34 am

Hi Kevtrane,

I am on the MWL journey myself - so I can't say this answer is from a "veteren"; however, I hope it will be helpful.

Certain barbecue sauces and salad dressings are "MWL legal". Do you have Dr. McDougall's book on the program? If so, you can refer to the list of specific brands given there. This website also has a list of allowable foods that include salad dressings and sauces: http://drmcdougall.com/packaged.html (The link is in the very uppermost top right corner of the homepage, on a tab labeled "packaged foods").

There are certain general criterion that you should look for on the labels of the products to assure their suitability for the program:

Salad Dressings:
Must contain no dairy products (including whey, buttermilk etc.), no fats, and no oils. Should also be low sodium.

Barabecue Sauces:
These should contain no added fats or oils. Since most have added salt and sugar, and some have preservatives, commercially prepared barbecues must usually be used sparingly!

If you are unable to find McDougall-friendly dressing and/or barbecue sauce when you are away from home, perhaps you can carry some with you. You can also experiment with other toppings that will be tasty, while still being "legal", such as fresh salsa, fat free hummus, vegetable/bean soups etc.

Mary McDougall has recipes for McDougall-friendly sauces and dressings in some of her recipe collections.

Now you see what developing and testing over 500 recipes did to me.
(Nothing that a few months of intense MWL McDougalling can't undo)!
LuAnn

Postby bob2200 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:06 pm

A lot of the so-called fat-free salad dressings have oil. They just have less than 0.5g of fat per really small serving size.

I make BBQ sauce myself with tomato paste, vinegar, a little agave nector as sweetener, liquid smoke, and a few assorted spices. Cook up and adjust to taste.

There are many fat-free salad dressings you can make. I was making them with tofu as the solid base, but have recently switched to chickpeas and tomato paste as the base.
bob2200

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program