Holiday Challenge -- MWL

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Holiday Challenge -- MWL

Postby limberone » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:13 am

Hello fellow MWL followers (and lurkers thinking about being followers)!

Last year in October, my husband and I discovered the MWL book, and we decided, as a way to "protest" all the holiday excess, to follow the MWL program between Thanksgiving and Christmas. So, on the Friday after Thanksgiving, we began MWL, and then we continued to follow it all the way through Christmas Eve. While at times it was a challenge (as of course there is always high fat & high sugar food around, especially during the holidays), I loved the overall feelings of peace I had knowing that I was eating the right foods while at the same time avoiding that holiday weight gain that is common for some people. I was also calmer with myself and all my children -- no horrible mood swings as a result of all that daily holiday feasting!!!!

My husband never needs to lose weight -- he knows the meaning of moderation. Both of us plus all of our children are vegetarian, and the majority of our meals come from McDougall cookbooks. Unlike my husband and children, I usually toss the idea of moderation out the window. And like Sam Waterman in Dr. McDougall's "12-Day" book, I am always thinking of reasons to celebrate (that means something special to eat)!

I'm 5'8" and my ideal weight is 135-140 (although I would love to be 125). Last year at this time, I began the MWL program weighing 180. By the time Christmas Eve got here, I had lost 14 pounds, and I weighed 166. Right now, at just over 10 months later, I weigh 157, so I've been maintaining and also losing very S-L-O-W-L-Y.

So, we are looking forward to about a month of MWL this year, starting on Friday, 23 November. To make it a little easier this year, I'm going to make a seven day menu for breakfast and dinner (lunches are simply leftovers), meaning that every Sunday, we eat the same thing as last Sunday, and so on. When I get the menu finalized, I'll post here.
limberone

Postby Jackie J » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:32 pm

thank you - that would be very helpful - and congratulations on your continued healthy eating life style and weight loss
Jackie J

Postby Patsy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:13 pm

Thanks so much..what a great idea....I'm with you....and eagerly awaiting your meal plan...I need so much help in that area....
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wHiGN7M/]
[/url]
Patsy

I'm in!

Postby Wendy » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:58 pm

What a wonderful idea.

I especially like your thoughts about feeling great (no mood swings due to SAD foods) during the holidays.

It's the perfect gift to give ourselves.

Count me in!
Wendy

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program