Turkey Torture

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Turkey Torture

Postby littlefoot » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:59 pm

First I guess I should introduce myself. I have been reading these boards for ideas, help and encouragement for a couple of months, and am trying to follow the MWLP. I have been pretty successful, having lost over 50 total pounds (part lost prior to finding the MWLP). I have about 40 or so to go to get to my goal so I'm going to keep at it and am happy to have found MWLP and this board.

Here's my question. Over the holiday I was convinced by various well meaning folks that I should have the turkey (it was pastured, after all) and the other bad stuff containing dairy, eggs, flour... Not being one to want to hurt feelings, I did it and didn't complain. Problem is, several days later, my stomach is not happy AT ALL and hasn't been since the offending meal... Is it possible that eating SAD type foods after a few months of fairly strict McDougalling could affect me so adversely? Just curious to see if any of you have experienced similar issues.

Thank you :-)
littlefoot

Postby Karen » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:25 pm

It could be all kinds of things;

- you could have a touch of "too much food kept out in room temperature for too long" food illness

- you could have McDougall's Revenge (tummy upset from eating high fat foods after going so long without them)

- you could have Non Dairy Revenge (tummy upset from avoiding dairy then springing a whole lot on your system without warning).

- you could have Bran Revenge (tummy upset that you had massively less fibre than your body is used to)

- you could have the flu

- you could have Mental Revenge (mental gross out from eating what you know your body doesn't need or want, added to a side of "why didn't I do what I believe in instead of what others do"?)

...or a combination of all of them. I know that's what happens to me. I've been veggie long enough to avoid the peer pressure stuff. But I do give in when there is flatly nothing else to eat for more than 8 hours. Never on meat, but sometimes on dairy or eggs.

I find that following the MWLP causes the revenges to kick in harder and faster. It takes my body a full week or more to recover from eating dairy or high fat meals. I tell my husband that I'm eating only broccoli for the next 7 days. I don't really do that, but it's sort of like having a hangover and promising yourself you'll never drink again. :lol:
Last edited by Karen on Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karen

Postby limberone » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:27 pm

Karen -- you are so right about the possibilities you mentioned! I've been veggie for 13 years, so no one bothers to nag me anymore, and people have also stopped asking, "are you still doing that vegetarian thing?"

I especially love the Mental Revenge possibility you listed -- this one is definitely one that happens to me. Like you, I will sometimes eat the eggs/dairy, but not the meat. Although, the mental revenge kicks in more often than it used to. I cannot remember if it was Dr. McDougall, Dr. Barnard, or someone else who calls dairy "liquid meat!" I think it's true!

And there's nothing like following the truly "whole foods" MWL, and then violating the body with something that's completely processed. :eek:
limberone

Postby momof4 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:20 pm

After having been a vegetarian for many years, I accidentally ate a few forkfuls of spaghetti sauce with meat (I was told it was vegetarian). I figured it was no use to get upset about--the waiter brought me out another plate and I thought I'd be fine. Well, I had the runs for a WEEK!! I didn't even make the connection until later on, when I read when you eliminate meat, the body stops producing an enzyme needed to digest it.

Another time, I was talking to a "friend" about this, and she was convinced it was because the meat was not organic. She had us over for dinner, and after serving me chili, said that they "accidentally" got some meat in the pot (huh??), but not to worry because it was organic. This was obviously a way for her to prove her point to me about the greatness of organic meat--I carefully ate the chili and left a LOT of meat at the bottom of the bowl, and was convinced I'd be fine. The next afternoon I was extremely sick--very nauseaus and again had the runs--and again it took me a while to make the connection.

So with both of those incidents, I don't believe it was a mental thing. Although I think meat is disgusting and I have no desire for it, I was trying to be polite. Well, enough of that--if that ever happens again, especially with someone trying to be controlling, I will smile and say something like, "my body doesn't digest meat any more, and I'm sure you don't want me getting sick from your food." I guess you just have to be blunt sometimes...
momof4

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:07 pm

About 6 months after going veggie I ate some lunchmeat. I was craving an italian sub. That night I thought I was dying. I was so sick I couldn't even dial 911. I was sure I'd never see morning. The pain was so incredible.

Well, I saw the morning and that's when the rest kicked in. So no I don't play around with meat. I never got that sick with dairy, wish I did. But do get the sinus headaches with dairy.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program