I Almond Milk OK?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

I Almond Milk OK?

Postby Gramma Jackie » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:48 am

I love Almond Breeze "milk" on my cereal every morning. Is it OK on Mcdougall's.
Gramma Jackie

Postby ReneeK » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:50 am

Are you doing the regular McD program or MWL? I assume almond milk would be ok on the regular program, but too high fat for MWL. Hope this helps.
ReneeK

Postby Gramma Jackie » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:07 am

I am starting out with Mary's Mini for 10 days, then transitioning to MWl and then to the regular McDougall plan. I know I can't have nut milk on or cereal on Mary's Mini, but was hoping I could have cereal and nut milk on MWL. I don't know if its any higher fat than soy. Almond Breeze has 3 g. fat per 8 oz. serving. I am not sure how much fat is in soy milk. I love cereal and would hate to go without it for very long. I have hypothyroidism and have heard that soy can keep thyroid harmone from being completely absorbed.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Fern » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:41 pm

I use the unsweetened Almond Breeze. This is so very low in calories. I don't have it in front of me but as I recall it's 3 grams of fat, 2 carb, 1 protein. So the fat density is really high. Keep in mind though, that a serving of oatmeal has 3 grams of fat and I don't try to avoid oatmeal.

It's up to you but as long as I only use a moderate amount, I don't worry about it. I am really bothered by sugar so this is a good compromise for me.
Fern

Postby Casey » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:16 am

I have Pacific Almond Milk, low fat regular, and it has 9 carbs, 3 fat, 1 protein.

I decided to start using Almond Milk because it is far fewer carbs than rice milk, and it doesn't have any oil in it. The rice and soy milks I can get at my store all contain expeller pressed canola or some other oil.

Almond milk does have sugar in it (even the unflavored), but so do all 3. (Plain soy might not have sugar in it, but plain soy makes me gag!)

I am going to avoid almond milk, though, while I am MWL'ing.
Casey

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program