MWL 21 day sample menu

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

MWL 21 day sample menu

Postby Carl » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:14 pm

I dug out my MWL book from under my left elbow so I would not lose it and started reviewing the program. I am especially interested in the the 21 day sample menu. My resoning is simple, 1. I know so little about this lifestyle change I am going to undertake, 2. I know almost nothing about cooking or meal preperation but I can follow a recipe and 3. I am going to lose this fat and regain some of my health just because I want to for me and no one else. Now having said that I have questions that are screeming out for the correct answers.

Has anyone followed the 21 day sample menu as it is in the MWL book? No modifications of any kind.

Now can I reduce the amount of the ingridients for a dish and thereby reduce the number of servings. I really hate thowing food away-that come from my childhood in the 40's and 50's when there was no food to eat many times. That is part of the reasons I am so fat now.

If anyone can answer those two questions for me then I will ask you more later. Thank you. Carl
My eating and other lifestyle behaviors have been learned and therefore they can be replaced or changed.
Carl

Postby Casey » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:51 am

Hi Carl,

What a coincidence - I just pulled my MWL copy out from under my right elbow!

When I first followed MWL, about 5 years ago, I had similar questions to yours. I found the reason I was successful with MWL was probably, number one, the fact that I DID modify the 21 day menu. I think it was because the serving sizes are so big, I'm the only one in my family eating this way so I wouldn't have anyone to share my food with (I have similar throw-away issues), plus I wasn't positive I would like every recipe. Even some I thought I'd like I didn't end up caring for. So that's why I didn't follow it to the letter. So to answer question #1: I have not.

Question #2 is kind of answered above, but also, I think it is perfectly fine to reduce the quantity of ingredients to get smaller serving sizes. I have done it. This brings me to why I did modify the menu: I could make the large size servings of the recipes I loved and save them to eat over the course of a few days.
Answer to question #2: Absolutely.

Being successful with MWL means being prepared.
Remember this: Failing to plan is planning to fail. Ha ha hah My sister and I always quote each other that when we're screwing up on something and complaining why it isn't working!!
This is a difficult time to start MWL, but I am doing it also, as of today. It is very easy for me to put on weight, and even even McDougalling the regular way can put the pounds on. I do struggle with exercise, I admit.

So anyway, best of luck Carl! Just remember to plan ahead. I know you will feel better and be so glad you are going this. It really is a lifesaver.

Casey
Casey

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:08 pm

Carl
Are you going to be doing all this cooking yourself? If so make life easy and precook all that you can. I always keep around cooked rice or taters or both. heck even the veggies I precook for the week.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program