Motivation Help!!!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Motivation Help!!!

Postby Planetlady » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:31 pm

I have been eating this way for 4 months, and I have only lost 13 pounds. I have become frustated, because I am not losing anymore weight. I am unable to exercise due to a injury to my back, but I do try to ride an exercise bike alittle, when my pain is not so bad.

Has anyone tried the Sugar Buster way of eating. It says no potatoes, noodles, and such...... I have done the mini also, using potatoes and gained 2 pounds, so maybe I'm very touchy when it comes to starches.

I am about ready to go back to my old way of eating which was skipping meals, and very tiny meals.

Help...........
God always has a Plan B, Praise the Lord
Planetlady

Postby mollyfisher » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:03 pm

Have you tried leaving out breads, bagels and pastas and increasing the ratio of green and yellow vegetables? Cutting down on fruit to 2 or 3 per day avoiding all added sugar seems to help weight loss as well.
mollyfisher

Postby Carl » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:08 pm

Hi Planetlady. I am not a real motivating man but at least I am smarter then a box of rocks-sometimes. I would ask you this-what are you trying to accomplish? Lose weight just to gain it back again and continue to be sick and in pain and be a miserable person the rest of your life? Or do you WANT (key word) to lose weight, look and feel much better, enjoy your family, friends and life and live as long as God wills you to? Did you put the weight on in a four month period? If not then why get frustrated because it did not all come off in four moths. Personally I look at this as a lifelong deal of changing the way I think, live, eat, exercise and being happy. Don't quit, hang in there & keep on trucking. God bless. Car;
My eating and other lifestyle behaviors have been learned and therefore they can be replaced or changed.
Carl

Thanks for the motivation input!

Postby Planetlady » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:34 am

Thanks to all, who responded on my lack of motivation. I will try to limit bread, pasta, and such, and remember weight loss is a bonus, health is my main concern.

My stomach has been killing me here lately, and after reading the post tonight, I realize that I have been eating whole wheat flour muffins, and whole wheat bread more than I was. Maybe this is the reason for my stomach pain, and no weight loss recently.

I am thankful for this post being here, so others can motivate, and keep me in line.

Thanks again! :D
God always has a Plan B, Praise the Lord
Planetlady

Postby stephanie » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:56 am

I second the advice to focus on the health benefits along with (or, as much as possible, instead of) the "slow" weight loss. In addition, remember that weight doesn't tell the whole story when it comes to "slimming down." Your body composition will likely change so that less of your total body weight is fat (especially if you do whatever amount of exercise you are capable of). Since the same volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat, you can be losing a substantial amount of fat without having your total weight drop be as impressive. But your physical size (measured in clothing size, inch measurements of different body parts, etc.) will likely be decreasing faster than the scale might have you believe. So don't get too down, since weight is only one (imperfect) measure of results on this program.

In my opinion, skipping meals and starving yourself isn't a viable long-term plan. When I do this, I only end up too hungry, and eventually I give in and start eating everything in sight. Make sure you're eating enough not to be hungry, and also make sure you're optimizing the nutrition in each calorie you eat. For example, 100 calories of cookies will have far less nutrition than 100 calories of fruits or vegetables, and since satisfying your body's nutrient requirements plays a part in satiation, eat the most nutritious foods you can (i.e., the McDougall Program).

Focus on all the positive changes that you're experiencing, make some tweaks if you feel the need (for me, flour products just don't work, either), but don't get too down on yourself. It's a long-term process.
stephanie

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:10 pm

I think you've done great for eating muffins and breads. Heck you lost 13 lbs. Nowhere in the post did you give us what you were eating, nor how much you weigh. There is so many factors that go into losing weight. Heck if it was easy and one simple answer we wouldn't have a country of obese people.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

more motivation..

Postby Caroveggie » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:26 pm

Slimkat (I think) posted once saying that when she took out the oil in her diet -- really concentrated on eliminating the fats -- that's when her weight started dropping again. It's a good reminder because I know I'm one of those who thinks I get the message here but I have to work to make sure I'm following it, not just sort of or mostly following it. Usually it's the restaurant foods that do me in.

I think you can read slimkat's post in the MWL section.

Also, I find it motivating to read Dr. McDougall's articles about oil and what exactly it is and does to your body. Also, re-reading the McDougall basics always helps too.

Good luck! There's a lot of motivating posts here and stories on the Star McDougallers.
Caroveggie

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program