hypothyroid for 10 years

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

hypothyroid for 10 years

Postby dksksteele » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Just getting started. I have always eaten well, mainly vegetarian and run 3 miles a day 3-4 days a week, but still put on weight.
I am going to try this program strictly for 6 months, any other suggestions. (Hypothyroid with Armour thyroid supplements daily)
dksksteele

Postby halloween13 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:48 pm

I am hypo too on Armour. I have been veg for 8 years. I haven't been as good at the exercise as you but I will get better. So far it's working for me when nothing else has. :) I've tried everything from low carb to straight up just counting calories. It must be the vegan and low fat part that I was missing. Good luck!!!
halloween13

Postby f. kwan » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:03 pm

I've been hypo for 15 years, on Levoxyl and Cytomel. Went veg two years ago and lost 47 pounds, gained back 19, and now am trying to lose them forever.

Since doing McD (or a variation thereof, I eat more nuts, tofu and such) I have gone up in free weights and have much more energy to exercise.

f
f. kwan

Halloween 13

Postby dksksteele » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:25 pm

Thanks for your reply. I am almost 48 years of age, I wonder if age makes a difference?
What have you or others found most successful about the plan, please be specific?

I am 5'9" and 165 lbs.
dksksteele

Postby halloween13 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:19 am

I think it's effective for me because it's very easy for me to follow. I am happy eating the types of food I am allowed to eat on this plan so I stick to it. When I tried low carb diets I was miserable. Even though I like the taste of eggs you can only eat so many. I also LOVE potatoes so any diet that lets me eat them makes me happy. So I think that's why it works for me.
halloween13

Postby f. kwan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:54 am

Potatoes and beans seem to be a natural mood elevator for me. It also appears that the more I get away from refined foods, the more satisfied I am with simpler stuff that's healthy.

f
f. kwan

extremely hypothyroid

Postby seestorcoo » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:05 am

I've been extremely hypothyroid for at least 17 years but have always lost at least a little weight when I modified my diet - could never stick with whatever diet it was though. I've been on McD for just over a year, have lost 67 lbs with little effort and no hunger and that includes a couple months of pretty severe "cheating". I lost weight more easily in the beginning but now find that I must stay mostly away from bread, cereal, fruit, and sugar to keep losing. I can eat those things (and more) and maintain but not lose. I've only exercised sporadically. I've read others posts that say their hypothyroidism has improved with McD but my tests have remained the same. I feel a whole lot better though. For me, this was the one - maybe for you also!!
If you are going to doubt something, doubt your limits.
seestorcoo

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program