Grazing....

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Grazing....

Postby maggiephoto » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:43 pm

I love the McDougall Food and Today is my "first" day.....I noticed I am CONSTANTLY eating...Cucumbers, whole fruit, shredded wheat, oatmeal, salads, potatoes w/ out oil. I am trying to be "good" but is this the norm?I am not much of a grazer, but I find myself gnoshing on some (whole grain) shredded wheat for no apparent reason!

Usually I knit when I am hungry but it seems like food is on the brain!

any advice?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wlkgW8j/]
[/url]
maggiephoto

Seems to be the norm for me

Postby SarahJ » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:43 pm

Sorry to have to say this, I've been struggling with this ever since I started McDougalling. This past week I've been trying to space my meals out by 3 hours (I guess we're supposed to eat whenever we're hungry). I just can't get anything done otherwise (eating every 1.5 hours). When I do eat, I eat until I'm full. After the first day or so, I've been fine (no hunger until right before it is time to eat again. I really think that our bodies have an internal clock for eating, and not just sleeping. Perhaps some of us need our clocks reset. Interestingly, I've had more energy this week :-D
SarahJ

Postby maggiephoto » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:24 pm

Sarah,

I have more energy as well :D, I guess I would prefere to graze on McDougall stuff (whole grains, veggies) than the bad stuff......BTW, I ate all my cucumber for a snack....No dip, Just Cucumber...Maybe I will make the McDougall Hummus, but I could snack on just the cucumber forever. Maybe nervous energy, I am not sure. I picked up some knitting and the urge went down.....
SIGH
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wlkgW8j/]
[/url]
maggiephoto

Postby BatGrrl » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:39 pm

Grazing is great, if it's the right stuff.

BTW, one thing that works for me when I'm feeling hungry but don't want to eat (your mileage may vary), but I am a California kook after all, is pressing on the acupuncture point in my ear that is related to appetite suppression.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." --Dr. Seuss

BatGrrl

Postby seallen711 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:07 pm

Where exactly is that pressure point on your ear?
seallen711

Postby BatGrrl » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:56 pm

It's called the tragus and it's the skin-covered cartilage in front of the external ear. I just take it between my thumb and finger and squeeze for a few minutes.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." --Dr. Seuss

BatGrrl

Postby SarahJ » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:51 am

I guess I should take up knitting again! :D
SarahJ

Postby halloween13 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:38 am

The first week I was on the plan I was the same way. I was eating almost constantly but foods that were ok on the plan. I think it gets better because I am on week 2 and I barely get hungry at all. When I do get hungry I eat as soon as I can so I don't start to feel deprived. Overall I haven't felt deprived though because I am eating foods I enjoy. :)
halloween13

Postby LJ » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:20 pm

Halloween, I think you hit it on the nail. I've found that my hunger has 'normalized'. Something has definitely changed. I don't get ravenously hungry anymore...at all. I sometimes have to remind myself to eat. I'm assuming this has to do with my blood sugar being normalized and not taking the highs and lows anymore. I've also noticed that I stop eating when I'm full a lot easier than I used to....its almost like my body is 'quicker' at registering the 'you're full' gauge. Does that make sense?

"The food you put into your body is the single most powerful factor that determines your health and well being." Dr. John A. McDougall, MD
LJ

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program