December 2017 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

December 2017 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:41 am

Welcome to the December Weigh-In Thread for Dr McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program.

For the program details visit the MWL Guidelines thread in this forum. Please check out as many of the links as you have time for, there is so much here to discover!
A couple of other great resources, for those just starting out, are from Jeff Novick the staff dietician for the program: The Ultimate Guide to Free Calorie Density (MWL) Resources and his 1 hour video explanation on Calorie Density: How to Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer.

It's DECEMBER! Can you all believe it's December? I think I'm in shock a little about how quickly this year has flown by. It's almost time for food-related holiday remorse and New Year's resolutions (hehe). Well, no, that's for everyone else, not us!
Let's get the holiday season started right by deciding to eat a healthy, starch-based, no-oil, no refined flour diet. If you can swing it: jump right in, watch Jeff's Calorie Density video (link above) and pledge to try a month of the MWL program as it is meant to be followed. Your results will mirror the level of adherence you decide to use.
That being said, sometimes it can be just a little daunting for some to go cold turkey on a big dietary change, especially during the holiday season. Here's what Dr. McDougall had to say in December 2009 about easing your way into eating this way:
John McDougall wrote:Pick a Category to Work on This Year

A New Years Resolution Based on Three Decades of Success

If you are looking for big improvements in your life for 2010 then your diet is the right place to focus. In the late 1970s when I was developing the McDougall Diet after reading the bulk of the nutritional science published since the early 1900s, I came to the conclusion that starches, vegetables, and fruits were ideal for human nutrition. These humble plant parts supplied all of the calcium, iron, and high quality protein that any person of any age, beyond infancy (a time for breast milk), would ever need during any activity, including those as demanding as pregnancy and running triathlons.

The Relative Hazards of Foods

However, you may be unwilling or unable to make a complete turn-around to the diet I have recommended based on starches, vegetables, and fruits, all of the time. In that case, you should consider a more gradual course by eliminating foods based on the categories I outlined in our first national best-selling book The McDougall Plan (1983) by John and Mary McDougall. I have made a few modifications in order to update the lists in the categories.

Progression from Categories I through IV below lead from harmful to health-supporting foods. For those who usually follow the diet closely, these categories will identify foods least damaging to you when you do indulge on those special occasions. Anyone who is not yet ready for a complete change to a health-supporting diet as set forth in Category IV may want to improve his or her diet by beginning with the elimination of foods in Category I and progressing at his or her own chosen pace.

Category 1 -- Dangerous Foods

You should never eat these foods. Government, medical, and scientific authorities have considered these foods dangerous enough to hold committee hearings, to issue warnings about them, or even to ban these products from use. All of these foods are suspected causes of cancer. You have no reason to eat these, because there are safer alternatives.

1. Nitrite-containing meats: ham, hot dogs, sausages, cold cuts, and bacon.
2. Supermarket quality meat: pork, beef, organ meats, and poultry. They are contaminated with substances that are suspected of causing birth defects and cancers.
3. Hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated vegetable oils: margarines, vegetable shortenings: found in most packaged foods from cookies to breath mints.
4. Charcoal-broiled and smoked foods.
5. Deep-fried foods.

Category II -- Feast Foods

IIA. These foods should be eaten rarely, if ever. Never eat them if you are trying to regain your lost health and appearance. These are very rich foods. They should be reserved for that special occasion, the feast. For most healthy people, these feasts should occur less than once a month. Anyone still trying to regain the best possible level of health should always avoid feasts. Be forewarned: for some sensitive people, like those with inflammatory arthritis, one feast can result in devastating pains lasting for weeks.

1. Range-fed beef without hormones or chemicals.
2. Organically grown poultry.
3. Shellfish.
4. Fresh fish.
5. Cream.
6. Whole milk.
7. Cheese.
8 . Creamed cottage cheese.
9. Sour cream.
10. Ice Cream.
11. Yogurt.
12. Butter.
13. Eggs.
14. Vegetable oils (including olive oil, flaxseed oil, canola oil, coconut, and all "free" oils).

IIB. These modified feast foods should be eaten no more than once a week, and then only in small amounts. Anyone looking for improvement in their health should never eat them. These dairy and egg foods have been modified to lower the fat and cholesterol content. Removal of the fat reduces the level of fat-soluble chemical contaminants. However, they are still too high in animal protein, and contain no dietary fiber. Dairy products are the leading cause of food allergies, and eggs are often listed as the second most common food allergen.

1. Low-fat yogurt.
2. Low-fat milk (skim milk).
3. Buttermilk.
4. Low-fat (dry curd) cottage cheese.
5. Low-fat cheese (like mozzarella).
6. Kefir.
7. Sherbet (contains water, sugar, fruit juice, and often egg whites or low-fat dairy products).
8 . Egg whites.

Category III -- Rich Plant Foods

These rich plant foods may account for a small portion of your daily food intake (less than 10 percent of your calories per day) but only after you have attained the level of health you are striving for. In general, these foods are more harmful than health-supporting. Never eat these foods if you have problems with your health that remain unresolved. They can easily add to your body fat. If you begin using this group of foods and find that you are also gaining weight or getting back some of your old ailments, then stop eating these foods immediately.

IIIA. High-fat plant foods contain large amounts of fat, and are very high in calories.

1. Olives.
2. Avocados.
3. Nuts.
4. Nut butters (like peanut butter).
5. Seeds.
6. Seed spreads (like tahini).
7. Soybeans.
8 . Tofu (fiber has also been removed).
9. Tempeh.
10. Miso.
11. Soy "ice cream".
12. Coconut meat.
13. Chocolate (dairy-free).

IIIB. Simple sugar foods provide concentrated calories and often little else.

1. White sugar (worst).
2. Brown sugar.
3. Corn syrup.
4. Honey.
5. Maple syrup.
6. Molasses.
7. Malt syrup.
8 . Agave nectar.
9. Sorbet.
10. Jams and jellies.
11. Fruit puree (like applesauce -- significant content of vitamins and minerals).
12. Dried fruit (best) (significant content of fiber, vitamins and minerals).

IIIC. Refined grains and flours have had much of their fiber content, vitamins, and minerals removed. Some products have had a few vitamins and minerals added back (enrichment).

1. White rice (cereal- or glucose-coated).
2. Refined flours (such as white flour, used in bread, bagels and noodle products).
3. Cornstarch.
4. Potato starch.

Category IV -- Health-Supporting Foods

These foods are health-supporting. They allow your body to attain and maintain its naturally intended state of good health. They should account for the greatest share (at least 90 percent) of your calories if you are healthy and for all of them if you are still working to regain your health.

1. Whole grains, such as wheat, rice, barley, millet, rye, oats, corn, and popcorn.
2. Milled grains, such as whole-wheat flour, corn meal, brown rice flour, rye flour, oatmeal, and bulgur.
3. Starchy vegetables, such as white potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, and cassava.
4. Green and yellow vegetables, such as spinach, kale, zucchini, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, and onions.
5. Sprouted seeds and beans, such as alfalfa, radish, wheat, mung bean, and lentil.
6. Beans, peas, lentils, such as kidney beans, white beans, garbanzo beans, pinto beans, split peas, and red lentils. (These legumes are high-protein. They should be restricted to about one cup of cooked food on average daily and restricted even more for people with osteoporosis, kidney stones, and liver or kidney failure.)
7. Fresh fruits. (All edible varieties of these are suitable; however, most people should limit them to about three per day. They contain simple sugars that are largely protected by fiber. People trying to lose weight and people with high triglycerides should consider further limitation.)

Ten Ideas We Have Improved On in Three Decades:

You should not be surprised to learn that we got it mostly right the first time -- more than 30 years ago. After six years of exhaustive study of the scientific research and almost every vegetarian cookbook published in the preceding eighty years we learned a lot from other people's hard work. During those six years between 1977 and 1983 when The McDougall Plan was being written, Mary also designed homey recipes, cooked the meals, and the McDougall family taste-tested each and every one of them. Here is what we can now add:

1) Animal foods -- be they derived from cow, pig, chicken, or fish muscles or the ovum of a bird or the lactation fluids of a mammal -- high-fat or low-fat -- are all so similar in their make-up that they must be considered together, and should be strictly avoided for health reasons. The destruction of the Earth due to the livestock industry makes avoiding animal foods imperative.

2) Chicken and Turkey are no improvement over beef and pork products. Consumers are just fooling themselves and might as well have a beefsteak on their birthday rather than a dried-up piece of white breast meat.

3) Fish are health-wise no better than any of the other muscle foods. Since the time The McDougall Plan was written nearly 90% of the world's large fish and other sea life have vanished. In order to restore our oceans, lakes, and streams people must understand the importance of not eating and further contributing to the depletion of these natural resources.

4) Low-fat Dairy Products and Egg Whites are very high in animal protein and sulfur-containing amino acids, which promote bone, kidney and liver damage. Trading high-fat foods for low-fat foods in this category is a matter of choosing whether to be shot or hanged.

5) Soy Foods, such as traditional soymilk, tofu and miso are sensible additions to a healthy diet, but should be used in small amounts because they are rich in fat and protein. Fake foods, such as soy burgers, soy luncheon meats, soy hot dogs, and soy cheeses made from isolated soy proteins and a number of other chemicals should be strictly avoided.

6) Vegetable Oils, regardless of the health claims, such as "high in omega-3s" or "good fats" are serious health hazards and should be clearly distinguished from whole foods that are high in vegetable fats such as nuts, seeds, avocados, and olives.

7) Salt is a pleasurable taste that can make compliance with the McDougall Diet much easier. Research over the past three decades shows salt is well tolerated by most people and rarely is a contributor to poor health. However, to be on the cautious side, use salt sparingly.

8 ) Simple Sugars are all basically the same and make foods delicious. Used sparingly they add great pleasure to the McDougall Diet without causing harm.

9) A Starch Focus is emphasized in every possible way. The McDougall Diet has always been taught as a starch-based diet with the addition of fresh or frozen vegetables and fruits. Until people eat most of their calories from higher calorie plant foods, such as rice, corn, beans, and potatoes, they struggle. Emphasizing these comfort foods makes everything about the McDougall Program work easily.

10) Simplicity in meals is a key to better health and appearance. Mary's cooking style in our home has become focused on simple meals. She prepares dishes such as sweet potatoes broccoli or rice with steamed green veggies, which are topped with delicious sauces. With simplicity, advantages like greater weight loss, better health, and lower food costs are enjoyed.

December 2009 McDougall Newsletter

By following this plan for the month of December you can completely do away with New Year's resolutions based on dieting and either forego making any resolutions at all or go a completely different route and choose intentions that will enrich your life in other ways, like resolving to call your Grandmother once a week or deciding to give whatever change you have anytime someone asks for it. For me, resolutions that support others bring a different type of satisfaction than ones made for self improvement (though I wouldn't be willing to debate Dr. Lisle on this statement...LOL).

Best wishes for the weigh-in Friday and Saturday.

Amy XO

Here are the standard monthly instructions for participating in this thread:

Our weigh in's are on Fridays and you have until 12 PM PST on Saturday to report.

Anyone is welcome to join the weekly weigh in group as long as they follow the McDougall principles. We recommend following the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) plan or the Mary's Mini's Plan.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program.

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally. (Please make a new post each week)

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.
amandamechele

Re: December 2017 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby Suey51 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:27 am

Hello everyone!
I'm posting a 1 pound loss this week :)
Amy - thanks for the great intro post, perfect timing :D

I was considering not joining the group this month as its generally a time when I gain weight. But, on reflection, it will help keep me focussed on eating as close as I can to the McDougall guidelines. There will be more times when I eat away from house and a (hopefully smaller than usual) wave of highly concentrated foods arriving in the house; so plenty of opportunities to test my new McDougall muscles ;-) If I can end the month at my current weight I will be mightily happy. I hope that's OK with you guys.

This week I met up with two people I don't see very often and both are getting more interested in their health and plant-based diets. It was so lovely to hear their stories and I recommended the McDougall program to them. The feeling of connection was wonderful.

I am looking forward to a new pop-up event in our town this evening, a gentle yoga class and 'healthful vegan supper'.

Keep on keeping on! Sue xx
Suey51

Postby katie3 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:38 am

Down .2 lbs since last week's Thanksgiving detour. Glad to be getting back on track :) Hope everyone has a happy 1st of December!
First goal: use McDougall & MWL principles to reach 120 lbs. (check!)
Second goal: MAINTAIN with healthy habits and reach 115 lbs.
Current weight: 118.2

katie3

Postby stillcrazy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:07 am

My weight didn’t change this week and stuck at 216.4. 0 loss or gain. My pattern seems to be big loss one week, not much the second. I’m okay with that. I really liked the intro post too Amy, good reminders and I am inspired by the thought of being able to make a New Year’s resolution that has to do with other people instead of the usual diet-weight loss resolutions. I would love to feel in a solid routine with MWL by the end of the month. Vee.
stillcrazy

Postby Werner1950 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:18 am

After my week in Cuba, I had gained 2-3 pounds. I am resetting today. Starting at 170 .
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby anne57 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:45 am

Last edited by anne57 on Mon May 06, 2019 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anne57

Postby petmomful » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:35 am

Hello everyone. I am down 1.4 pounds this week. I ate more fruit than I should have, and a few nuts, but all is well. I felt GREAT this week!! As long as my weight is going down, I am happy!! Good luck to everyone :D !
petmomful

Postby galooop » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:44 am

Lost 11.2 LBS

I know that sounds insane.
It's because I've had the Flu all week, with very little appetite.
So, it's not permanent weight loss - a lot of it is probably due to sweating, etc.

Stay Healthy, Kids!
:-) Chris
galooop

Postby zsilent1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:26 am

Greetings Group Mates,

Reporting 0 loss this week. Thank you Amy for the above post. I needed that. :)

With all the upcoming holiday “stuff” to deal with I need to tighten up. We have our family rituals like baking, special foods, etc. which will be challenging. I’m gonna put my best foot forward to hang tough. These are my intentions. They got me through turkey day with lots of prepared veggies and roasted sweet potatoes and pumpkins.

My goal for this month is to keep it simple and stay compliant. Don’t sweat the small stuff and stay in the moment and do the best I can. :-D

Best to you all and thanks for sharing your experiences!
Susan
zsilent1

Postby wildgoose » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:46 pm

I always get nervous when I commit to a weekly weigh-in, but I'm going to try it, at least for a month to see how it goes. Accountability is good.

Pride goes before a fall! I was preening my feathers about how well I did on Thanksgiving, only to way overeat the day after, and the day after that. I recovered, though, and can (whew!) post a 0.2 lb loss for the week.

The problem is that I'm within 5 pounds of what my family considers my "Skinny" weight, and within 15 pounds of my goal. That weight comes off harder and more slowly. Hope I don't drag down the group tally!

Amy, thanks for the inspirational first post in this thread.

Susan, I can relate to the family rituals. I spent all Thanksgiving weekend baking fruitcakes (an old family recipe -- definitely not a joke and far better than store-bought junk) to be shipped all over the country. In this house, we will save one slice per person, to be consumed on Christmas. The rest GOES! Having a set plan like that seems to lower the stress level for the rituals. We'll see.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby moonlight » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:01 pm

Hi Everyone!

I have been watching Dr. Lisle videos this afternoon. I'm ready to tackle the late night snack!! My plan is to time my craving to see how long my mind will whine and cry for soymilk and cereal!

Thank you all for contributing to this thread, especially Amy, for all the wonderful information to help us keep our intentions and make our goals. My goal is to continue cooking through the recipes from the MWL cookbook. I'm using the 21-day menu suggestions to give me a little structure. I've found some new recipes that I would never have thought would be good just from reading the ingredients. Sometimes all the recipes start to sound the same.

I'm starting the week at 199 lbs. I'm only down 1 lb. this past week but at least it is down.

I hope everyone has a good week!
moonlight

Postby CamiJb » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:12 pm

:? So after two grueling weeks fighting to starve out the cravings and losing my first solid 8 pounds I regained every last one of them in 4 days :-o How? By not cutting myself off at the right time each day..

I have a myriad of excuses; dad's funeral and wake, guests from out of town, meals and food everywhere, finger foods, constant snacking and the list goes on.. But the bottom line is I just did not do what I should have done. And patting myself and making clucking noises does not work.. I will just keep repeating the same things if I think I am "just being human" so I went through the fridge and cupboards {again} and baked a bunch of potatoes, cooked a batch of string beans and I am diving right back in.. Time to fight harder for what I want!
I refuse to not complete this journey!
I WILL be my change!
CamiJb

Postby amandamechele » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:39 pm

TrimFitMe wrote:New here. Hope I am doing this right. I want to weigh in for the first time. I have gotten as low at 138 but since November have crept up to 147. It's a combination of things--eating out, eating sourdough bread (refined flour), eating tofu, eating lots of fruit, and instead of 3 or 4 corn tortillas, 6 to 8 at one sitting.

I would like to get back down to 138, and then drop further. I weighed 135 when I was in my twenties and fit and trim. That is my goal.

Welcome TrimFitMe!
amandamechele

Postby angmccon » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:25 pm

Hello, I absolutely new to the forums. I think I have read through all the posts in this forum and don't think I saw anyone brandnew. Is it okay to join now? If so...

How do you do the ticker tape thing?

I do generally weigh each week but have not been following the McDougall MWL plan since Thanksgiving week. Should I weigh and post my gain or loss in the morning or just my weight?

Amy thank you for all the information in the lead in post.

I think I need something like this for the accountability. Thank you everyone for the posts and best of luck to each of you!!

Angela :-D
angmccon

Postby amandamechele » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:26 pm

Sue - I'm so happy you decided to continue for this month, and that you've set a realistic and achievable goal. :) It's nice to hear that your friends are starting to have some interest, its always nice to have people to talk with about this in real life. Enjoy yoga, I look forward to hearing what the healthful vegan supper is.

Katie - I'm glad you've gotten back to it for the month. :) You'll feel great this holiday season.

Vee - I have the same goal too. Get a good pattern going during a difficult month so that the momentum achieved will make the next few months even easier. One of my cousin's posted a cute kindness calendar on her Facebook page that I thought I'd share with you for some inspiration on the alternative resolution front. I especially like the suggestion for the 18th...Did you hear that Sue reached her first goal? She looks fabulous and I can't wait to hear all about how she did it. What an inspiration! :lol: That's the only kind of gossiping I'm down for.
(It's an interesting website too, but that's only my own personal endorsement of it from a quick look around)

Werner - I hope you had a wonderful vacation! I haven't posted it to social media yet but next month's Toronto potluck group is going to be a great one. I'll update the support group thread with the details later. I remember you telling me the timing conflicts with your job, but they're having a guest Skype speaker that would be great to hear if you are able to swing it.

Anne - I'm so glad to hear from you....and that you're back. :) Best wishes this week and month. You're off to a good start.

petmomful - Woot woot! Good loss. I was reading a bit of the thread that you have going in The Lounge right now. Aren't McDougallers a helpful and supportive bunch? Best wishes with your family.

Chris - Woah, I hope you're beginning to feel better, that is a lot of sweating. Has the fever broken? XO ... I hope you have someone helping you through this, to bring you fluids and cold face cloths.

Susan - You've got another great plan for the holiday. I second Goose's suggestion to have a very specific plan if you intend on continuing your baking traditions so that you don't end up disappointed in yourself for slipping up, because that is a tough situation. Traditions with family are so special and can continue with some planning. In our house, the kid's Christmas baking is Lindsay Nixon's (The Happy Herbivore) Gingerbread Mini Loaves and Dreena Burton's Banana bread. They are both oil-free and use ingredients compliant to the regular McDougall program. I love both of these ladies' cookbooks. I met Lindsay at a weekend festival a couple of years ago. She is a genuinely nice person. I had talked with her in between lectures without realizing who she was and the next day when I went to get my cookbook signed I was startled to realize she was 1 of 2 people who I had been discussing the pros and cons of shopping for second-hand clothes with after I had complimented the third woman's beautifully intricate skirt and had asked her where she had purchased it. Sorry for the tangent, I like to buy books from nice people and the WFPB world is full of them. :) Have a great week and definitely don't sweat the small stuff!

Hi Goose - I hear you! Accountability is good, but if this ends up feeling negative and constraining to you, remember you don't have to actually weigh-in weekly. I only weigh myself once a month for these boards and just check-in each week to say Hi and show that I'm still giving it my best go. I put zeros in for people just checking in, so that they can see themselves on this list, as a part of the group, but don't have to stress out about a number. Some people like to weigh themselves a lot and others not so much.
We will be happy to celebrate the losses and commiserate the gains with you each week, no matter what that scale says. We really just want to help each other figure out the best way to successfully apply these guidelines because they are the best chance out there to reach a sustainable, healthy and natural low weight.

Moonlight - Good for you, you have a challenge ahead of you this week. I've got to do the same thing as the night time snacking has crept back in and I'm craving it again. We can be grouchy and irritable together this week as we get ourselves through the worst of the extinction burst. When I'm unusually irritable my husband will sometimes ask me if I am on Day 1 through 4 of giving anything up? LOL. He's got my number! Enjoy your 21 Day Menu cook off and keep me posted on how your evenings go. Let's try to get the night-time eating back under control this first week because as the holidays approach and the calorie-dense food starts appearing at social functions it will be trickier. We can totally do this!

CamiJb - You can join Moonlight and I battle it out this week too! Don't be too discouraged, I'm sure that's not all fat gain. I agree it's time to fight harder because this is so worth it and really doable. It's just going to feel wrong and uncomfortable for the next few days until we convince our brains that we are not giving in! For me it feels like an itchy anxiety and I become quite irritable. I don't know how it feels for others but I imagine it is similar. Remember it is only for a limited time and we can pull through it! Best wishes this week.

TrimFitMe - Welcome, again, and good luck this week. :) It sounds like you know what needs to be done, which will make getting on track much easier. Let me know if you have any questions.

Angela - My pleasure and welcome! If you want to post a gain/loss number tomorrow please do. Otherwise, I just put a 0 in first someone's first week following the plan. You don't have to post your actual weight if you don't wish to. With regards to the ticker, here is what another member advised to do (I still haven't gotten around to attempting it yet):
Qwerty988 wrote:
Roxy59 wrote:Where is the cool weight loss ticker everyone adds to their posts??

Check out Tickerfactory.com to set up a ticker, then you just paste the URL into your signature here on this site. ;)
amandamechele

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program