February 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: February 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby Michele613 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:04 pm

Thanks Idgie,

PB2 and other crackers, etc I do not get readily here. I did think perhaps I could make some 'cornbread' or some broccoli and spinach mixed with a cup of flour or something and make it like a veggie cake...that could do as I could freeze that in advance and then it would keep longer. I know MWL doesn't allow 'flours' but I'd rather that than be hungry or off program in worse ways.

Packing an initial meal of rice and veggies for early on the plane is a good idea because after the meal finishes around 1:30 am lights out and most try to sleep and then I could have my veggie cakes etc for breakfast.

Now I feel better prepared...will look up some recipes. Maybe I'll even make some quinoa cookies too....ok...I can do this :-D
Michele613

Postby Humberto » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:01 pm

Hola and Hello, thanks for sharing the very inspirational pictures and congratulations.
Amazing how we change little by little and then to see it all at once is truly something.

Sometimes I wonder am I choosing to be overweight, consciously I know it’s me choosing, but in my subconscious I wonder what is going on. (I’m just now being aware that when I choose ice cream at this moment, at this moment I am also choosing to be overweight, both sides of choice are in my awareness now.) As I think no one chooses to be overweight, it sort of just occurs, over time. Then one day it’s like wow, I’m not really happy with this. But how did I get here? Bite by bite I know but why? Life is much harder being overweight, tying my shoes is harder, and getting up from the couch is harder. So why? Am I really choosing to be fat? I don’t think so. But I must accept its really no one but me putting the food in my mouth. It’s no one but me, no one is forcing me to eat. Yet I wonder.

Now I’m arriving at a place, a place of peace, where I no longer have to understand the why, only that it does not serve me anymore and now I want something new. Now to just get out of my own way. Logically there is no conflict as this is what I’ve chosen, right. How could there be conflict, within me, as it’s me doing the choosing.

Some of my thoughts, of me.
Thanks for this safe space to help process it all.

All the best to all,
Humberto
“May Kindness be our Walk”

PS:
Abraham / Hicks
Appreciation and love, and alignment to that which is Source, is the ultimate “giving back,” so to speak, for in your pain or struggle, you have nothing to give back. What you are living is always an exact replication of your vibrational patterns of thought. Nothing could be more fair than life as you are living it, for as you are thinking, you are vibrating, and as you are vibrating, you are attracting—and so you are always getting back the essence of what you are giving.

Don Miguel Ruiz
You can enjoy the dream or suffer the dream. That depends on you.
Humberto

Postby Michele613 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:18 pm

Humberto,

Thanks for your post. I think many of us, if not most, walk through that quagmire of thought...why, my fault, whose fault, genetics, body's fault.....choosing...yep...choosing. Most often it just doesn't feel like choice...like some bratty kid is saying 'do it...you'll like it.' I never do....I think sometimes I hide behind the weight as looking nice can sometimes be a pitfall and I have experienced that through much of my life. Now though I totally dislike being overweight...my vanity is insulted and I just don't like looking like the stereotypical older woman with an extra tire around her middle and frumpy. There, I've said it. I want to be done with this struggle. Surely there are more important things in life that could use my attention.

Let's do this!!! :)
Michele613

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:48 pm

Humberto, you bring up a thought I've been pondering again lately, which is why is it so hard to avoid foods that don't help us achieve our goals? Just yesterday the webinar from Doug Lisle called The Story of Willpower - What it is and How it Works popped up on my youtube suggestions and was just what I needed to hear. It reminded me of this quote from Jeff:

Let's face it, this program may be simple, but doing it in this world with its toxic food environment with little social, personal and environment support is nothing less than "brutal."

The phrase seen frequently around here is time and adherence. Understanding the program, implementing the guidelines and practicing them until they become second nature is the road to success. One day at a time, one meal at a time, will get us where we want to go. Amy (aka amandamechele) is a great example of both time and adherence and what can be accomplished when you put the recommendations into practice.

Give yourself credit for what you are doing right. You are learning. You are making changes. You are getting results. It may not always show up on the scale, but every better choice you make is bringing you one step closer to the health you are seeking.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby GlennR » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:52 pm

Hi right back at you Amy. I'm doing okay. We'll see how it goes this month. I read the forum daily but don't post much.
Glenn
GlennR

Postby Humberto » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:18 pm

Hello, one of the biggest gains, from being part of this, is knowing that I’m not alone in my struggles and desires for a happier self.
Thank you Michele and Lyndzie and everyone.

Yes we can, especially together for sure we can.
I am working on watching less and less TV.

Thanks to all,
Humberto
Humberto

Postby amandamechele » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:50 am

Frymom - LOL. I’m technically challenged too. I learn just enough to get by and nothing more. I’m glad you are starting to feel better. We’ve had chest colds in my home for 2 weeks now... but are all on the mend too. It is great motivation for eating well, knowing that we will spend less time sick. A family member was recently admitted to a long-term care home. It was my oldest son’s first time going with us today, because he normally has soccer, and while driving home he commented on wanting to do his best to stay as healthy as he could for as long as possible to hopefully avoid that kind of situation for as long as he can.

Moonlight - I feel your pain. Do keep fighting! Some of us have more internal challenges to work through, or not quite the right sort of external motivation, but that doesn’t mean we can’t get there too. The only way to truly fail at this way of eating is to stop trying to get it right. I really believe for us (you and me and others who consistently struggle) the case of chance favouring the prepared mind is important. For whatever reasons (all well gone over by all of the staff here), we can be more easily drawn away from our intentions to eat well. The only way to haggle out some success is to be ever vigilant and jump on opportunity whenever it presents itself. Whether the opportunity is a week free of triggering situations, or some extra time suddenly available to exercise of chop and cook some delicious meals. Do extra well during those times, and when done often enough, we will see progress. XO.

ForestGoddess - Congratulations on the loss. I can see the issue, it is hard to give more up when you are having some success at your current level of compliance. I’m not going to try and tell you to reframe how you think about this because I don’t think it would help. Just continue the efforts...they will help. Keeping as far out of the Pleasure Trap as you can, because that is when making adjustments towards better adherence is easiest. Eventually a wave of motivation will occur and you can ride it. I’m really glad you keep checking-in. :)

Idgie - I’m looking forward to starching with you too! Glad to have you with us again. :)

fiftysix - You made it on time...and I’m pretty lax about the check in anyways... I don’t ever want to leave anyone out who wants to give this a try. Best wishes for the coming week. Keep reading and refining!

Belana - It is tough doing this alone. XO. I hope you are able to find someone to chat with privately, if that is your preference, but please know that the people in this thread are also happy to have conversations with you. Not quite the same as an accountability buddy, I know, but we’re here for you until you find that partner! (And after that too.) Thank goodness there is no MWL cooking test! LOL. I wouldn’t get a good mark on that either. It sounds like you are making some great changes, so far, and they are helping you move towards your goal.

Anne - No worries, I totally understand how the scale can do that. I’m thrilled you want to stay, so checking in each week with a 0.0 loss if completely fine. In the last year a bit of information regarding self-monitoring was highlighted because accountability of some sort can be very important and the evidence appears to back this. Checking-in each week, while only weighing yourself monthly, can fit this model too. Give it a try for a few months and see how your weight loss progresses and how you feel emotionally. No use doing it weekly if it is making you miserable.... the purpose of eating well and losing weight is to feel more positive emotions, more often. :)

Linda - Yes, thank you, I added you to the tally. Fall down, get back up. That’s the spirit. Scarlett is right!

Rosey - XO.

Landog - Steel cut are my favourite type of oats too. Sadly, my local big box store will run out of them for months and I have to make due with the mushier stuff.... or pay more at another store.

Michele - I’m glad you got some great suggestions from the group. You could also pack dry bags of oatmeal and have the stewards bring you hot water during your flight to make it. I like the suggestion for bagged veggies. Those McDougall right foods cupsare great in a pinch too.

Humberto - Arriving at a place of peace with the process will serve you well. :) Let go of the resentment-towards-others and frustration-towards-yourself and just work on the process. I have found that the better I follow the guidelines the better my mood becomes. I used to be so jealous and resentful of what I perceived as the unfairness of my situation. It was such a self-defeating attitude (I’m not saying that you have this attitude, just sharing my evolution). It has been much better since I embraced the idea to stop comparing myself to others and just work on personal improvements. Dr. Lisle’s work has really helped me understand much of this. (Oh, I see Lindsey has also posted a DL link...great minds think alike...LOL!)

GlennR - Well, I’m certainly glad you’re back. Go easy on yourself with regards to sweating the small stuff, all the while attempting good adherence. We want to keep out of the ego trap... and the pleasure trap. You know the drill and can definitely do this!

Have a great week y’all!

amandamechele

Postby Plumerias » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:01 am

Michele613 wrote:HELP EVERYONE.....I will be flying in two weeks. I need FOOD IDEAS other than dry oatmeal and cut raw veggies.

I need to cover 22 HOURS of flying-airport time................(1) international flight = at airport 3 hrs before flight (2) 15 hour flight Israel to Los Angeles (3) 4 hour layover and an additional (4) 1.5 hr connecting flight.

I cannot take fruit (but will confirm) and I can only take so much of fruit anyway even if I can (also high in calories if eaten frequently over the course of that span) - I can take prepared lettuce but would have to eat that close to the beginning of flight or it will be wilted. BAKED potatoes yes but again.......not for 22 hours.

Maybe??? I could take some canned beans but not sure and I know I can't take a can opener in carry-on but will also confirm.

My brain is mush at this point .....any other calorie dense foods.....trail mix is high CD.

I could take a couple of sandwiches I guess and assemble on the plane....again, bread isn't my best bet and they would only get me half way through the flight.

Since my flight is at midnight there will be some sleeping but again I will not have eaten much during the hours before going to the airport as I usually have an anxious stomach before travel no matter how calm or prepared I am.

TIA :)

Michele, there have been a few recent threads on hotel travel, check them out. Here are a few other older ones, hopefully they will inspire confidence.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25798&p=257713&hilit=traveling+by+air#p257713

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53076&p=542415&hilit=traveling+by+air#p542415

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29837&hilit=traveling+by+air

Understand what you can and cannot leave Israel with, that is to say, agricultural restrictions. An example, when flying from Hawaii to the contiguous 48, most fruits, and any produce with seeds is forbidden due to those restrictions, which are designed to protect agriculture in California. The bins of fruits at the airport (which go to the needy) are huge as a result of this. So I pack a rice salad with shredded carrots, diced pineapple (which is permitted, or at least was last time we went), and herbs.

The flip side of that is to understand what you can enter the US with as well.

It seems to me that any airline leaving from Israel would be accustomed to dealing with some very specific dietary protocols, use that to your advantage.

You should be able to find something acceptable at LAX, okay, captive audience priced, but acceptable. Check the airport website.

Don't forget your empty refillable water bottles. It pisses me off to have to buy bottled water, pet peeve.

I would imagine that part of your airline meal(s) would include your salad and fruits, so no worries there. Let them refrigerate that part for you.

I always pack a tube of rice cakes in my backpack. No, not MWL compliant, but lightweight and non-perishable.

Sorry I'm so disorganized, but I'm on my way out the door, and couldn't stop thinking about this.

Happy travels.
Plumerias

Postby Michele613 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:34 am

Thanks P....I really appreciate your taking the time to give me some input. I've decided to bake some veggie cake-like items along with perhaps some quinoa cookies. I'll take a salad and sandwich....so probably too much bread and flour but mainly compliant...travelling seems to set off a 'snacking syndrome' so I want to be prepared.

Stay warm!
Michele613

Postby laurag » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:27 pm

Belana wrote:Hi All,
I'm still looking for a MWL support buddy or buddies to email, text, call or Skype with to help keep me going on this diet...
It's tough doing this alone.
If you're interested, please shoot me a PM.
Last week, I dialed back eating out and booze. I went to the grocery and bought veggies, potatoes and brown rice. I'm a horrible cook, but I still managed to cook mediocre food at home, and subsequently lost 1.5lbs. I'm down to approx. 122 lbs. My goal weight is 105 lbs.
Hope to hear from someone interested in a MWL support buddy soon!
~belana

hey there I am dialing back on booze ..... and going to grocery for veggies potatoes and brown rice- you are not alone for sure. My meals are simple like potatoes with salsa and beans or rice and veggies with soup that i have been throwing together just veggies in tom sauce water broth or chili easy stuff. hang in there :) I will too
laurag

Postby laurag » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:33 pm

Humberto wrote:Hola and Hello, thanks for sharing the very inspirational pictures and congratulations.
Amazing how we change little by little and then to see it all at once is truly something.

Sometimes I wonder am I choosing to be overweight, consciously I know it’s me choosing, but in my subconscious I wonder what is going on. (I’m just now being aware that when I choose ice cream at this moment, at this moment I am also choosing to be overweight, both sides of choice are in my awareness now.) As I think no one chooses to be overweight, it sort of just occurs, over time. Then one day it’s like wow, I’m not really happy with this. But how did I get here? Bite by bite I know but why? Life is much harder being overweight, tying my shoes is harder, and getting up from the couch is harder. So why? Am I really choosing to be fat? I don’t think so. But I must accept its really no one but me putting the food in my mouth. It’s no one but me, no one is forcing me to eat. Yet I wonder.

Now I’m arriving at a place, a place of peace, where I no longer have to understand the why, only that it does not serve me anymore and now I want something new. Now to just get out of my own way. Logically there is no conflict as this is what I’ve chosen, right. How could there be conflict, within me, as it’s me doing the choosing.

Some of my thoughts, of me.
Thanks for this safe space to help process it all.

All the best to all,
Humberto
“May Kindness be our Walk”

PS:
Abraham / Hicks
Appreciation and love, and alignment to that which is Source, is the ultimate “giving back,” so to speak, for in your pain or struggle, you have nothing to give back. What you are living is always an exact replication of your vibrational patterns of thought. Nothing could be more fair than life as you are living it, for as you are thinking, you are vibrating, and as you are vibrating, you are attracting—and so you are always getting back the essence of what you are giving.

Don Miguel Ruiz
You can enjoy the dream or suffer the dream. That depends on you.

I love what u said about it not serving u anymore. I agree this weight or struggle is not just about the food stuff but a part of our soul that we can see physically and the idea of seeing past the place of needing to know why feels very right to me.
laurag

Postby Humberto » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:04 pm

Hola and Hello.
Thank you Laurag and Amy, its good to belong. Your words and insights are most appreciated.

A question for anyone, does Vinegar have lead, or should I say it does but is it okay, i.e. minuscule amounts.
I noticed this recipe and when shopping for the ingredients the aisle shelf has a notice regarding lead.
I did make the dish and read the bottle label, of Organics Balsamic Vinegar of Modena, says Warning Consuming this product can expose you to chemicals including lead which is known....................

Not to rain on any particular recipe but would like to hear about this, including Rice Vinegar.

Brussel Sprouts – Chef AJ’s recipe
Ingredients
2lbs Brussel sprouts halved.
1/4 c balsamic vinegar
1/4 c Dijon mustard

Directions:
Mix the vinegar with the mustard and cost the Brussel sprouts.
Bake at 475 F for 30 minutes.
The sprouts were taste, although for my oven, 30 min at 475 is too long.

Thanks everyone,
Humberto
Humberto

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:22 pm

Good question about lead in vinegar. A quick google search says that there may be trace amounts due to grapes absorbing lead from the soil, and you can choose another type of vinegar if you are concerned (but what about the arsenic? etc etc). If Jeff comes across this, maybe he can chime in with more info.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby laurag » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:31 pm

hi there :) so I am doing one thing and it is working- deciding on not to cheat, my favorite cheat is chips or crackers or bread that all have oil. And if I get that loaf of sourdough I will eat it until gone so no oil but not good for MWL. I am feeling like I hit on something its easier just to not have that one bite of non program food, less of a battle and I am still doing soup and lots of whole food- potatoes rice oatmeal and trying to add lots more vegetables than before
good job everybody lets be healthy and happy
laurag

Postby JeffN » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:44 pm

Lyndzie wrote:Good question about lead in vinegar. A quick google search says that there may be trace amounts due to grapes absorbing lead from the soil, and you can choose another type of vinegar if you are concerned (but what about the arsenic? etc etc). If Jeff comes across this, maybe he can chime in with more info.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30909&p=309789

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program