April 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: April 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

Postby sproutgrrl » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:54 pm

Hi everyone!

I am excited to join the group. I have been following the regular Startch Solution since August of last year and was foruntate enough to attend one of the McDougall programs in October. I have stuck with it I have been successful, but I would like to refresh my habits by following the MWL. For me, my opportunities will be the tofu, avocados and nuts (oh my!). While I have not been excessive, it will be good to focuc on better choices based on calorie density. Also, exercise on a consistent basis. :-D

I look forward to April's journey!
Christine
sproutgrrl

Postby Plant Based Believer » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:08 pm

OK ... I'm "all in".
Committing to the rules of the road. Let's do this... I've been vegan since 2017 and whole food plant based for a year. I have about 20 pounds left to get into the mid-lower range of healthy BMI. It just stays there ... #nutlover

Which goal numbers is the rest of the crew focused on? Can you give a shout out?

My Goals:
Peeps ... these are the areas I'll need to focus on to keep to the 10 point check-list:

#2 I'm a little freaked about the 50/50 plate (I usually eat wayy more greens than Tubers, Whole Grains, Beans, etc). But I've looked at the science plus Novick and McDougall are freakin' genius ... love the science and common sense.

#5 Giving up nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu and soy. Ummm ... this will take some additional discipline. #LentStyle

#7 No air-popped pop corn, dried fruit or puffed cereal

I've printed the Healthy Eating Placemat and taped it up in the inside of my cub-bard where my plates are. Someplace I'll see it. Avoiding the trap of "out of sight, out of mind".

OK. I started the 50/50 plate today (mix of potatoes, oat groats, sweet potato and raw corn). I'm really full and trusting this won't drive up my weight. But it is nagging in my brain. So here we go. Strapped in. Pushing off. Away we go.

April 3rd ... first weigh in. Will do.
Blessings! - Benita of PlantBasedBeliever.com
Plant Based Believer

Postby carolw » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:13 pm

Hello to all MWLers,

I am new to this discussion but not to the Dr McDougall program. I found Dr McDougall about 10 years ago just as I was retiring and before i was off on an extended trip to Argentina. I wanted to go but I thought if I had to eat meat I would die, and that's when I found this program. It took me less than 2 weeks to transition. I lost about 20 pounds pretty fast and have kept it off. I have never been on the Maximum Weight Loss program however. Recently-last 3 months- I have gained weight (about 3 kilos=7 pounds) from eating too much bread, avocados,nuts, soy products, seeds (have always been addicted to fatty foods) as well as emotional binging on plant based foods.

I am 78 years old and because I eat strictly plant based, I take NO medications and have no chronic conditions. Even more important NO pains in my body. My plan has been to eat right and do some exercise. It works like a miracle. My husband who is 81 is with me on this.

I know that I can put my full trust into anything Dr McDougall endorses so I will be joining you on Friday with my weight and new MWL food plan. Looking forward. And thank you to al the people who make this opportunity possible.

Carolw
carolw

Postby Plant Based Believer » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:13 pm

@Christine ... I'm with you! #5 (nuts, tofu, avocados, etc) is out for April. Awsome that you've been on SS wince Aug! Way to go!!!
sproutgrrl wrote:Hi everyone!

I am excited to join the group. I have been following the regular Startch Solution since August of last year and was fortunate enough to attend one of the McDougall programs in October. I have stuck with it I have been successful, but I would like to refresh my habits by following the MWL. For me, my opportunities will be the tofu, avocados and nuts (oh my!). While I have not been excessive, it will be good to focus on better choices based on calorie density. Also, exercise on a consistent basis. :-D

I look forward to April's journey!
Christine
Blessings! - Benita of PlantBasedBeliever.com
Plant Based Believer

Postby sparrow20 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:20 pm

Hi everyone,
I was excited to see the email today about this program and am eager to start. I've lots to lose and previously was on a low-carbohydrate diet recommended by a weight-loss doctor. I felt pretty nauseous most of the time on it, and did lose a little bit of weight, but never felt very healthy or happy about the foods I was eating.
Good luck to everyone with your weight loss and I hope you are all keeping safe and healthy at home too.
sparrow20

Postby [email protected] » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:03 pm

Hi everyone!

My name is Michelle and I'm ready to commit to the MWL program for April! I could really use some accountability right now. I first started eating the starch solution way in 2012 and lost 32 pounds and kept it off for years. But 3 years ago, we moved and I started cheating here and there. It was a slippery slope and I have slowly gained back 15 pounds. So looking to get back on track and lose this extra weight.
[email protected]

Postby sarabee » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:18 pm

Hello, Everyone! I have just read all the way through all your comments for the April 2020 Weight Loss Forum. Thank you all so much for sharing your personal goals and challenges. I can identify so closely with many of the issues that you are confronting. My challenges include joining my husband with food that is not healthy and eating "treats." I also have the habit of drinking a delicious latte every morning which my husband brings to me in bed. Tomorrow I will have a delicious cup of tea! The first tiny habit that I am going to start on 4/1 is to open up this page and read for inspiration to start the day. I know what food to eat and I have it on hand. I'm hoping that my participation on this thread will help me to be accountable. Sara
sarabee

Postby Daniel35 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:20 am

Hello everyone!
I'm Daniel, 35 years old and I've got a lot of weight to lose (like a lot). I'm very familiar with the McDougall program, my biggest issue has always been the "actually doing it"-part. My biggest downfall/challenge are flour products, which I will cut out completely.
I feel ready to commit now and this weigh-in group will be great for my accountability, so I thank you for that. Being from Germany I will keep my answers rather short and sweet as this is my second language (no problem comprehending, but expressing myself).
I wish everyone a lot of fun whilst accomplishing their goals, stay healthy!
Daniel35

Postby Dibble59 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:46 am

Hi all
I'm Deb, live in England, and am 60.
I've been McDougalling for two years or so, and have enjoyed a lot of health benefits including weight loss of 20 pounds plus. I could stand to lose another 20, but suffer from underactive thyroid which makes weight loss even more difficult than usual.
I regained about 8 pounds last year when trialling a new blood pressure medication, and haven't been able to shift it since, even though I stopped the medication after a couple of months. My blood pressure is borderline high and the doc has agreed that I can stay off meds as long as it doesn't go any higher.
Recently I have started 'treating' myself with processed refined goods such as vegan chocolate, cookies and cereals. Although I haven't gained any more weight, I have had a few episodes of heartburn and aching joints, which I haven't had at all in the last two years.
I feel that sticking to McDougall MWL for a few weeks will help get me back on track, reset my eating habits, and hopefully shed a few pounds too and get back to feeling amazing again.
The hardest thing for me to give up will be wholemeal flour, as I enjoy making and eating homemade fat-free bread, cakes and cookies :D
Dibble59

Postby RobbieZ » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:56 am

I’m in. I have been doing great on regular program, but I need to lose weight and get rid of my diabetes. Not only is it unhealthy, it’s expensive. Let’s do this!!!!
RobbieZ

Postby KellyJ » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:59 am

Hi -- I'm Kelly,
I started following Dr. McDougall's program in September, 2019 -- I lost 23 pounds in 3 months and then the weight loss came to a stop. I have been 97% true to the program -- I did have a seafood dinner for Valentine's Day!! I am hoping that the MWL program will restart my weight loss. I am not a "social media" person, and I don't ever join on-line discussions, but I feel so strongly about this new life-style that I'm ready to actively participate. So, here's my story....

I'm 57 -- I am 5"1' and I currently weigh 192. I was diagnosed with HPB and diabetes in August, 2018. I spent the first year after my diagnosis trying to follow the standard diabetic program. I didn't lose any weight and my numbers never improved -- the Metformin & lisinopril just seemed to keep my numbers within an acceptable range. I was a very thin person until I hit 40 -- then I gained about 70 pounds in 18 months. I've continued to gain & lose for these past 17 years. I've done Weight Watchers multiple times --as soon as I lose about 15 pounds, I quit losing weight. I did Medical Weight Loss for 18 months -- I lost 21 pounds in the first 10 months, then I didn't lose any more. I did a juice fast and lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks -- but then gained it all back (plus a few extra). At my heaviest I weighed 249 pounds. When I started the McDougall program, I weighed 215.

As I said earlier -- I've been following the McDougall plan since September. My numbers improved in the first 3 months, but then they went back to their previous ranges. I haven't lost any weight since the first part of December. I am extremely discouraged and I'm struggling to maintain my commitment -- I am still following the program, but my resentment grows daily. I stopped my meds for 5 weeks to see if that would help the weight loss, it did not help. I went back on my meds this week because my numbers were starting to creep back to an uncomfortable level. So now I'm depressed about the weight and depressed that I'm unable to reduce my meds. I even joined a gym in October and had been going 3 times every week -- now I'm walking outside during the stay-at-home order in Michigan.

I've read all of the wonderful stories of people who have transformed their lives on the program -- weight loss, normalizing blood pressure, and defeating diabetes -- but I have failed to do any of these things. I'm hoping this challenge will be the life-changing event that I so desperately need it to be. I am committed to following the program -- both nutritionally and with increased activity. Thank you for listening.
KellyJ

Postby Thoward321 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:08 am

Hi All, Theresa here I'm a 50 ish wife and mom with nagging knee pain which began 6 months ago when I reached my highest weight of 270. After discovering the McDougall lifestyle I was able to drop 15 ish pounds but have been struggling to commit. Now that the knee pain has turned to knee pressure I'm convinced that by dropping the weight I'll see a significant difference in my mobility. I'm confident that the April challenge will be a positive one. Thank you for making this available.

CW - 253.5
Thoward321

Postby christianedreams » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:04 am

Hi there! I am joining in the April MWL just as a motivator to get back on track with my WFPB diet. My husband and I live in Argentina for work and we happen to be visiting stateside when this COVID-19 grounded all flights between the two countries. Living in AR has been wonderful for adhering to oil-free WFPB life, as most of the food I consume there is in it's natural, unprocessed state bought in bulk or fresh from open air markets. Returning home to a rural Texas town when the corona virus had folks hoarding the already limited foodstuffs/available produce options, had us quickly reaching for convenience foods that are attractive novelties to us coming from living in AR.

Now that we are more settled and focused on getting back to a healthy food and exercise regimen, the invitation to join this thread hit my email inbox at the perfect time. I am wanting to take advantage and do a post-travel reset.

It's been a while since I read MWL. Specifically about added sugars, what are the guidelines on the modest use of maple syrup to sweeten breakfast cereals?

Thanks and looking forward to getting back on track! :cool:
Christiane
christianedreams

Postby Noella » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:07 am

Hi Mark, I would like to join your April weigh-in, please. Noella
Noella

Postby Zoey » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:11 am

That e-mail came at the perfect time for me. Here we go!
I came back on these forums at the beginning of the year to get some inspiration and accountability to drop those last few stubborn pounds. I was doing OK, feeling great, but still considering going full on MWL to get some results.
And then I had surgery, with the accompanying immobility and depression. I don't even want to know how fat I've gotten this past month. If I don't change something immediately, I won't have the ability to walk even when I do get the go-ahead from my doctor. I'll just keep flopping around like a beached walrus. So I'm in!
I did great yesterday. Had a banana and grapes early in the day, and then two bowls full of broccoli last night. I wasn't hungry enough for starches, so that was just right.
Today more fruit, and ready for a nice potato later.
Thanks to Mark and the other mods for starting this. And thanks to the participants for your stories and inspiration that I'm really going to need this month. Best of luck to everyone!
Zoey

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program