July 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: July 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:04 pm

Angelea wrote:Hello! I have reviewed the orientation materials and would like to join the group!

I just finished a 10 day Mary's Mini last weekend (5 lbs lost) and am jumping into the the MWL program as the next step in my whole foods plant based journey to better health and wellness.

Thank you!

Angelea
Welcome! Glad to have you!
Mark Cooper

Postby Artista » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:13 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs:  +1.8 lb.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). ALMOST, 6 days out of 7

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: A pretty humdrum week overall. I’m not sure why the weight gain, I didn’t overeat or eat anything I wasn’t supposed to. I think it just happens that weight bounces around a bit, as long as the over all trajectory is downward. That's my hope anyway! :) Thanks, Mark, for all your excellent moderating of the group.
Artista

Postby Health 1st » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:13 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs:  -8

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.----Did pretty good with this one, but could use improvement.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.----Doing very good with this one!

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.----100% compliance.

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).----100% compliance.

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).----100% compliance.

6. Eliminate any added oil.----100% compliance.

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.----Did good except for having rice cakes 1 time this week + Ezekiel bread 2 times this week. 

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).----100% compliance.

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.----100% compliance.  Actually there were several times early in the week I did not eat enough because it was too painful to make food.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).----0% compliance due to injury + pain. 

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:  I've had 10 full days of being on + have not missed the old, damaging "foods" at all, thank God!  But I do believe my being in such pain has helped me to have a rock solid start, as I have been out of the stores except for 1 quick stop to get produce.  I am very grateful for this excellent start, + I am blown away with the amount of weight lost.  I literally checked 2 times to make sure. :eek:  One good thing with the pain/injury, I have been forced to rest...a lot.  Usually I'm one who runs on fumes with only about 4-5 hours of sleep.  So I'm sure the rest has helped my body lose...for now.

Question:  For #1, can it be 30 to 60 minutes before #2?  I did this sometimes and used #1 as a snack before my 50/50 plate meal.  The snack definitely took the edge off of my hunger + I ate less when it came to my meal.

I don't feel guilty for the weight lost, but I certainly do not want anyone to think I'm flaunting it. Please keep in mind that I only just started + I have a lot to lose. I know the losing will slow down, stop, + sometimes even go up a tad in the future--the ebb + flow of weight.
Health 1st

Postby JeffN » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:22 pm

Health 1st wrote:Question:  For #1, can it be 30 to 60 minutes before #2?  I did this sometimes and used #1 as a snack before my 50/50 plate meal.  The snack definitely took the edge off of my hunger + I ate less when it came to my meal.

If you are using it as a pre-load and for the benefits of the pre-load (reduced consumption at a particular meal), then it is best to have it right before the meal

If you are hungry and having it as a snack, then its a snack but not a pre-load.

Either way is fine but for the intended benefit of the pre-load, it is best right before the meal.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby cmcavazos2 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:09 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: 0 gain/0 loss

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. NO
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. NO
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. NO
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
Victories: None this week
Comments: My "No's" were poor judgement on my part this week. This is a first for me...I had been getting very impatient with myself & the scale lately. I let the scale numbers get to me. Long story short. I tried to intermittent fast for several days this week hoping to have a larger loss this week. Not a good idea for me. On MWL I have not experienced hunger, but on the IF I was very food focused during the fasting period and didn't make healthy food choices when I was out of the fasting period. Not a good experience, but I got back on the 10 guidelines for the latter part of the week. Now I understand why MWL does not promote IF. If I had stayed on the 10 guidelines, I probably would have had a small loss for the week!

Questions: None this week
cmcavazos2

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:30 pm

Happy Weekend McD'ers!! :cool:

Hope that everyone has a chance to enjoy the weather and take some time to unwind.

Here is my report for the week...

Weight Change - 3.6 lbs. loss
Current weight - 140.2 lbs.
Last Week weight - 143.8 lbs.

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :cool: YES - 20/21

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.
Choose fruit for dessert.
:cool: YES - 21/21

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
:oops: I can do better with eliminating any non-NSA products from pantry, restocking with NSA, and choosing better condiments (or replacing with herbs / spices). I plan to clean up my environment next week and get rid of all products that don't meet the guidelines (even ones that don't want to leave...). :mrgreen: I haven't used many, but have used some and my intent would be not to derail progress by not following guidance for this checkpoint. I started the week on the wrong path of stopping sprinkling garlic salt on my almost daily potato waffle (only thing I use salt / sugar on recently). However, thought of Mark's comment to me last time (copying Jeff Novick guidance) -- sorry, I am not using quote correctly here....
JeffN wrote:
"In regard to added salt and added sugar, we recommend buying and preparing food without either and if any are to be used, to add them at the table on the surface of the food. If either one is troublesome and create uncontrollable cravings for you, then leave them out."
So, have happily resumed enjoying my potato waffle. Hoping for next week and future to just answer "YES" here!!!

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :cool: YES

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :cool: YES

6 Eliminate any added oil. :cool: YES

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :cool: YES

8 Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :cool: YES

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :cool: YES

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :cool: YES.
Met goal of walking 56K steps this week. The stars were aligned from a weather and work meeting perspective. Some days I took a few short walks based on schedule.

I am trying to ignore weekly scale change (instead of do cartwheels).... and focus on the behaviors. It is difficult to detach from the outcome --- even knowing that it could be a fluid anomaly.... :lol: I guess next week will tell... (dreaming of the 13*'s)...

Even though it can be tedious at times, I have found a lot of value in journaling food eaten and exercise. I think that I will continue doing this until I feel really grounded on all of the checkpoints. The journal provides a record to go back and understand what may have went wrong if the outcome doesn't seem to equal compliance. I have reviewed some of my old journals and am able to pinpoint at what point my motivation started to go south (which I think will be helpful for preventing future journeys down the rabbit hole)....

In order to help meet #2, I like to roast a big pyrex pans of various veggies (liking summer squash, zucchini, onion, bell pepper, broccoli). The veggies are delicious even with nothing added - and then can be used to top salads, under soup, or eaten on own (can add herbs then). Very simple to make after chopping to your taste. Roast about 30 min in 425 oven (check & stir periodically). I like to roast mushrooms separately (since they take a shorter time and create so much liquid) and then mix them in with the rest of the veggies for extra flavor. Delicious!!

For next week, I am looking to: achieve 100% with #2 again, walk 63K steps, and add five body weight exercises on three days....

Questions -
A) Is there an acceptable substitute for Low-Sodium Tamari?
B) Or, is it acceptable to dilute this product with water to add a little soy flavor?
C) Or, is it recommended to find a completely different condiment that meets the guidelines, but can't really replace but would be used in lieu of Low-Sodium Tamari?? (i.e., something like Chili Garlic with no sodium, no sugar)
Thank you in advance if you are able to help with this. :-D Sorry, I do think that it is C), but just want to make sure...

Hope that everyone has a great week!!!!

Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby squealcat » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:47 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: +0.9 pounds

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.no
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.no
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).no
6. Eliminate any added oil.no
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.no
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).no
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.no
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).yes

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:This was still a tough week for me. I was hoping to add a few more yes's but it didn't happen. I did do some thinking and work this week and have made some changes. Yesterday went pretty well and was encouraging to me. Today has been going perfectly ! I am concentrating on #2 and #9 this week as I feel these will help me the most right now. I bought a few bags of frozen veggies to use for my 50/50 plate at dinner time (Wild Goose gave me that idea).
I also got out my MWL 10 point checklist to use after each meal. It already has made me feel better. Checking off those accomplishments feel like little rewards ! Right now I am going upstairs to brush and floss ! I surely don't want to eat any more after brushing ! :lol:

--squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby Gabby7 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:21 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs:  +1.5

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 3/7
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES except one bowl of air popped popcorn
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 4/7 sick this week only able to do light walking and stretching 4 days.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Bummed by the scale this week, wasn’t feeling well for half the week and trying new meds which may have contributed to the gain. Focusing on 1 and 10 this week, also reducing salt I add in case it’s water retention and being patient. Happy I was able to stay on track with eating at least even while not feeling 100%. Onward and upward.
Gabby7

Postby JeffN » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:09 pm

VegSeekingFit wrote:
A) Is there an acceptable substitute for Low-Sodium Tamari?
B) Or, is it acceptable to dilute this product with water to add a little soy flavor?

Low sodium tamari is just a source of sodium. Like all sources of sodium (Salt, soy, Tamari, miso, braggs), what matters most is the total amount of sodium contributed. Yes, if you want to have some of the flavor and less sodium, they you can dilute it with water. Some products, like coconut amino's are already much lower in sodium but I don't know if they will have the flavor you are looking for.

VegSeekingFit wrote:C) Or, is it recommended to find a completely different condiment that meets the guidelines, but can't really replace but would be used in lieu of Low-Sodium Tamari??

All the sources of sodium mentioned above are allowed, The issue is not which one, but how much. Just add to taste at the table and/or dilute like suggested and you should be fine.

VegSeekingFit wrote:(i.e., something like Chili Garlic with no sodium, no sugar)

All of these have to be checked. Often times, when something is lower in sodium, it may be higher in salt or vice versa. And some of these may have oil in them too.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby George Ohwell » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:18 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: -1

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 7/7
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 7/7
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 5/7
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 7/7
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 5/7
6. Eliminate any added oil. 6/7
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 5/7
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 7/7
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 7/7
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 4/7 sick this week only able to do light walking and stretching 4 days. 5/7

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Until Wednesday, things went well. I ate reasonable amounts, following the 10-pont checklist. On Wed., I started prepping for a dinner party I hosted on Thursday. I told myself they are regular eaters and need richer foods to satisfy their palate so I got some cashews and dates to make a delicious potato salad salad dressings. somehow I totally forgot MY MWL goals. this was just an excuse for ME to eat these things. and I did, and I ate nuts and dates, and then on Thursday, even worse, I ate two pieces of bread with vegan butter. back on track on Friday. I was disappointed in myself but it was also reinforcing that I prefer my way of eating, and I could have easily accomodated my guests with my food and SAD supplements to make it appealing to them (salt, butter, store-bought dressings and my partner's desserts and candy, which is always around and I am used to not eating). lesson learned. onward. somehow I managed to lose a pound but that was because I was 3 pounds down on Wed. Doh!
George Ohwell

Postby PonysPlants » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:46 am

Down 0.4lbs this week.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. NO
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES Easy. Vegan for life

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados,) YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO
10. Avoid being sedentary. NO Didn’t manage every day this week.

Glad to have a loss this week, although I’m a day later than usual. Had some work done around the house on one day which meant that I didn’t have electricity for a while and had to order some takeaway for lunches a couple of times because I couldn’t use the kitchen or leave the house to get compliant foods. Also ate more than 2 pieces of fruit on these days.

Thanks Mark, as always for being such a moderating legend.

Onwards to next week!

Naomi
PonysPlants

Postby Zoey » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:42 am

Here we go again. Weight change +/- in lbs: -0.2
Aaaaarrrggghhh...

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :-D
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :-D
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :-D
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :-D
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :-D
6. Eliminate any added oil. :-D
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :-D
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :-D
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :-D
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :-D

I think I could just set this to a weekly "auto-post" sometimes. Two more tenths of a pound. :roll:
But then I remind myself that January through April of this year, I wasn't posting, and I ended up eating and drinking bad bad bad bad things. So this persistent little turtle is going to stick around. :P
Zoey

Postby Gimmelean » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:22 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: -1.4
7/16/2021. 127
7/23/2021. 125.6

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes

2.Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes

3.Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.Yes

4.Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).Yes

5.Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).Yes

6.Eliminate any added oil.Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes

8.Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9.Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes

10.Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes

Victories, comments, concerns, questions. Not perfect but -Mostly yeses most of the time for all points this week again helped with a 1.4 lb. drop. I noticed that small lapses always turn into bigger ones , it takes effort and often frustration to get back on track and that’s never going to go away. When I logged in to the site just now the main page says,“The more you do, the better your results.” It’s true! I’ll enjoy the weeks that aren’t so much of a struggle because I know I’ll have the ones where I do ahead.
Have a good week everyone.
Gimmelean

Postby Wfpb2020 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:38 am

Weight change - .2 lbs.

1) Start each meal with soup/salad/fruit. 5/7 days
2) Follow the 50/50 plate. 6/7 days
3) Reduce or eliminate sugars/salts. 5/7 days
4) Eliminate animal foods 5/7 days – mostly cheese
5) Eliminate higher fat plant foods. 6/7 days
6) Eliminate oil. 5/7
7) Eliminate higher calorie-dense foods. 5/7 days
8) Don’t drink your calories. 100%
9) Eating when hungry and stop when full. 100%
10) 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. 60 or minutes every day.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Made my minestrone soup and did better this week. Was hoping for a greater loss but maybe by next week I will see it. Trying to stay diligent.
Wfpb2020

Postby Drew*# » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:42 am

Friday Weight change +/- in lbs: - 2.7 lbs (181.8lbs.)

MWL checklist

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. My emphasis in mostly on 50/50 plates. Once I had some fruit before a meal to curb my hunger which was a bit higher than usaul. Also I sipped on some broth once.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Almost all meals except snacks.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Almost every day except had some snacks on Friday while on the road. I can make better choices next time!

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes.

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Mostly did so but last weekend had some guacamole.

6. Eliminate any added oil. I have mostly been doing so. One of the meals that I ate this week may have a little oil but not much.

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 5 out of 2 days. On one of the days, I had a great McDougall spinach and garbanzo bean dish and spread it on mostly thin sliced whole wheat Dave's killer bread. Next week I will be more creative if I have this dish with some grain mixture that is now prepped and in the fridge.

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Done.

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Did not get overly full. Did not get overly hungry until close to bed-time.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Average was 30 minutes for 6 days. Today I may go for a hike with my wife so I will count it. She is a fast walker BTW.

The ratio of veggies with grains or other starch is usually at least 50/50 or better. When I have a meal with my wife it is not always in an exact ratio, but she does seem to make up sometimes with soup with the meal and/or fruit afterwards. The rest is usually starch based.
Drew*#

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program