July 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: July 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby chef16 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:20 am

07/10/2021 225#
07/17/2021 225#
same as last week 0

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 50%
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 50%
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 90%
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).100%
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).50%
6. Eliminate any added oil. 90%
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 50%
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).90%
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 100%
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking. 0

I have nothing to say for myself. I am maintaining my loss and trying to stay close to the path. After many fits nd starts my sister finally was able to have her surgery and is home from the hospital. They feel that they removed all of the cancer and she is home and doing well. I still am taking care of her and her family including my dad but I am no longer foraging for food in cafeterias and vending machines. I did take food with me but I always seemed to need something more. I don't know if she will need chemo or not. I hope this is over for her and she can recover and get back too her life. Amongst all that I had scheduled to have my living room floor replaced and my kitchen renovated (waited forever could not change it). Next week they are tearing out my counter and I will not have water and any place to prep or cook for a couple of days. I will get back to this.
Sorry for going on ,I so appreciate the time and encouragement you give . Thank You!
Doreen
chef16

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:43 am

Happy Saturday to the Group! :D

Weight Change - LOSS - 1.8 lbs.
Current weight - 143.8 lbs.
Last Week weight - 145.6 lbs.

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. A lot of the time - 13/18. Working on getting better at this. Wasn't feeling great a couple of days this week and skipped (lazy won out).

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.
Choose fruit for dessert. Trying to ultimately have 100% of this one be the habit - 15/18. See #1.

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Have started to review all items - will separately journal this. For this week, I did not include excessive amounts of processed sugar / salt or condiments. I did consume some.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :cool: YES

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES

6 Eliminate any added oil. YES

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES

8 Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES. Have been surprised that the meal where I am not consistently hungry is dinner. I never miss breakfast!!

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Mostly. I had two -0- days as I wasn't feeling 100%. Guess it wouldn't have hurt to walk though... :duh:

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

Thanks, Mark for the suggestion on #9 last week on putting extra in fridge for later or getting another 50/50 plate. I am feeling pretty good about #9. Just not always consistently able to foresee my own appetite. However, super simple to adjust!!

Victory - My clothes are fitting better and walking is getting easier and more enjoyable! I have lost 15 of 23 pandemic pounds (not that there isn't some additional to lose...)...

For coming week, I am going to focus on achieving 100% with the 50/50 plate and walking 56,000 steps / average 8,000 a day.

Hope that everyone has a wonderful week!!

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby JaBee » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:09 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: +2.4

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 0/7
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 3/7
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 0/7
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 7/7
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 7/7
6. Eliminate any added oil. 7/7
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 3/7
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 7/7
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 3/7
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 3/7

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Not a good week. Lost power/internet last week due to severe storm in my area and unable to adhere to plan — too much high sodium food, did the best I could in view of circumstances. Decided to post anyway as I need the accountability. Back on track now and hopefully no more stormy weather.
JaBee

Postby Drew*# » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:26 pm

Friday Weight change +/- in lbs: -.7 lbs (184.5lbs.)

MWL checklist

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. My emphasis in mostly on 50/50 plates, but I sometimes have fruit, salad or soup beforehand. It depends on the level of hunger that I may have.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. I did this most of the time: 90% of meals and some snacks.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. I worked on reducing sugar and salt. I do not consume a lot of sugar, but am monitoring this for improvement such as with condiments.

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Done.

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Soy-based food for a couple meals.

6. Eliminate any added oil. Snacking time has been reduced but could use improvement with added carrots.

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Need to add carrots and fruit this coming week to the menu in the refrigerator and eat them. Making baggies of the carrots this weekend.

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Done.

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. I For one or two meals I got a little bloated. I find that my energy is better with whole grains that are cooked in my InstantPot. I add a few beans.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Average is 30+ minutes per day. 3+ runs of 40 minutes each, 1 session of kickboxing/calisthenics for 1 hour. Doing another run this weekend. Going to Yoga class for 1 hour on Monday. I plan to start lifting some weights when it get darker earlier here in the NW and then going on a indoor jog.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

I Added some Konnyaku rice in a mix with other grains (about 400 calories worth) and added California Mix it was quite tasty with the spices. The ratio of veggies with grains at least 50/50.

Drew*#
Drew*#

Reporting for July 16 Weigh-In is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:02 pm

The window for reporting this week's weigh-in and behavioral results has officially closed.

The remainder of my replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for July 16 - Part 2

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:39 pm

cmcavazos2 - Still heading in the right direction, Christine! Travelling nearly always presents a challenge, and it sounds like you feel quite good about your effort while away. :thumbsup: Just think, if you're ultimately able to master Dining Out in an adherent fashion, that's another big obstacle you can vanquish for good. :)

George Ohwell - Hang in there! It seems to me you did a pretty good job adhering to the guidelines during a week with some substantial excitement and anxiety (apart from the seeds). If you felt like the social context for the week led to stuffing yourself on adherent foods, of course that is worth attending to, but it doesn't seem like you are likely to consistently and systematically overeat on these adherent foods, right? What we are aiming for is healthy, durable weight loss over time, which is why I encourage participants to focus on the pattern of behavior, and not overvalue a specific weigh-in result from a given week. The behaviors are where the leverage is, and they will deliver results, given sufficient time. Something I personally find helpful, when it seems like I'm eating past the point of satiety, is to take a moment to SLOW things down. For me, that can mean being mindful to eat more slowly and chew my food, or take a break before dishing up an extra serving (e.g., going for a walk or doing some chores). I would implore you not to consider counting calories, Jeff explains the folly of doing so in How to Successfully Count Calories! From my perspective, it is not only ineffective, but can be actively counterproductive to our goals. Trust the process, focus on the fundamental principles, and be patient. You will get there with time.

Noella - Don't despair! Falling into the Pleasure Trap is never fun, but you know exactly the pattern of behavior that will lead you back out again; it just takes adherence + time. That number on the scale, which I'm sure felt shocking, can be erased in due course. What is most important is to get directly back on track, and preserve the many quality of life improvements you've worked so hard to attain. Do you feel like there was some specific development or change in your day to day context, environment or preparation that opened the door for the detour into non adherent food? If so, tackling that obstacle should help. Make it as easy as you can for yourself to reach for the recommended foods whenever you feel hungry, and block your access to anything troublesome, as best you can. I know you can do it; after all, you've done it before, right?

carwex - Kudos to you for not letting isolation and lockdown lead to being sedentary!
carwex wrote:I find that if I keep close the 10 principles, the weight takes care of itself.
I wanted to take this opportunity to highlight this point; this is exactly how the behavioral approach to weight loss is supposed to work. :D Keep working to eliminate the remaining exceptions, aiming for improvement from day to day and week to week. In examining and assessing those condiments, Jeff's Rules & Guidelines for Reading Labels are invaluable. There can be all sorts of "hidden" junk, even in condiments, and his handout will help you cut through any confusion. Have a great week, Carol!

Zoey - YUP, consistent losses for sure and cheers for your dedication and feeling "comfortable"! You are doing everything right - no need for a "magic scale" (although it would be nice, right? :lol: ) Onward!

Gimmelean - Nice loss and congratulations on all you have attained! I feel like a thoughtful focus on attending to our behavior gives us great power over our situations; as you say, it is never easy, but it IS simple. :nod: (It does get easier with time and practice, too). ;) Stick to the principles as closely as you are able, and you can be confident you are on solid ground.

texaslil - I know from experience a pulled hamstring is no fun; I wish you a smooth recovery, Laila. Staying on track while travelling is among the most commonly recurring challenges participants bring up, and planning and preparation can be essential to success. Might be worthwhile to review Jeff's recommendations for Dining Out (particularly these links with some things to watch for in vegan / wfpb restaurants) and Travel Food. Give yourself an awesome birthday present by focusing on the behaviors that will secure your goals. :D Best of luck!

chef16 - I'm so glad your sister is home and doing well; great news! Exigent circumstances can always arise and throw obstacles in our path, right? You seem to be maintaining where you are with your current pattern of behavior, so the question becomes: What else do you want to achieve, and to what extent are you willing and able to move toward closer adherence by changing your behaviors in service of achieving that? It might be worthwhile to assess what your goals are, and what feels most important for you right now. Clearly you have some recognizable and known hurdles on the horizon, so it becomes a matter of taking the time to plan how to circumvent those challenges, and investing the effort to do so. Only you can answer those questions for yourself. :)

VegSeekingFit - Awesome progress and real victories! :D You are doing well, Stephanie; keeping a special eye out for where "hidden" sugar / salt might be creeping in makes sense.
JeffN wrote:In regard to added salt and added sugar, we recommend buying and preparing food without either and if any are to be used, to add them at the table on the surface of the food. If either one is troublesome and create uncontrollable cravings for you, then leave them out.
It is fun to watch those ratios of adherence climb upward, right? Your focus for the week to come seems solid to me; carry on!

JaBee - Ugh! Loosing electricity is the pits! Kudos to you for holding yourself accountable and reporting your self-assessment. Getting back on track in the wake of a setback is what is most important; now you can focus on making consistent adherence readily attainable from meal to meal. :nod: Fingers crossed for no more storms!

Drew*# - Further progress in the right direction! I like how you have paired an area where there is opportunity for better adherence with some actions to take in service of that. :nod: So it is just a matter of putting those plans into effect, yes? Reach for the recommended foods when you are hungry, and crowd out the remaining "trouble spots."
Mark Cooper

Weigh-In Report Compilation - July 16, 2021

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:58 pm

Please note - I replied to each participant individually in the two lengthy posts linked below, provided that their reports followed the guidelines for weigh-ins.

Mark's Replies for July 16 - Part 1
Mark's Replies for July 16 - Part 2

By my count, 20 participants reported for our third July 2021 MWL weigh-in! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible, or in a post here if you cannot PM).

Here are the results for the third Friday in July:

Week ending 7/16/2021: 20 participants reported a total change of -13.60 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
Noella +5.00
JaBee +2.40
George Ohwell +1.00
Texaslil +0.80
Total gains: +9.20
NO CHANGE / MAINTAIN/ STARTING OUT
Chef16 0.00
Carwex -0.20
Deweyswakms -0.20
Zoey -0.40
Cmcavazos2 -0.50
Gimmelean -0.50
GreenFroG -0.60
Drew*# -0.70
Wfpb2020 -0.80
Artista -1.80
VegSeekingFit -1.80
Squealcat -2.00
PonysPlants -2.20
Gabby7 -2.60
Rebecka22 -3.00
Louie3084 -5.50
Total losses: -22.80
Cumulative group loss for July 2021 to date: 34.85 pounds
Average loss for week ending July 16: 0.68 pounds
Cumulative group loss for January 2021: 117.20 pounds
Cumulative group loss for February 2021: 39.40 pounds
Cumulative group loss for March 2021: 73.20 pounds
Cumulative group loss for April 2021: 48.30 pounds
Cumulative group loss for May 2021: 35.90 pounds
Cumulative group loss for June 2021: 34.10 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, July 23, 2021.

Another week down! Let's all make the most of the rest of July! Summer is liable to be over before you know it. :eek:

Since it came up several times in our discussion above, I want to take a moment to highlight this thread on Dining Out. It is really worth it to take the time to read the whole thread, if you haven't already done so. (And worth a review, even if you have. :-D ) Jeff covers the sad state of the "quality" of restaurant meals, offers simple, basic principles for how to successfully dine out, covers some of the problems that can arise with vegan and wfpb restaurants, links to important studies, and even shares a suggested Restaurant Card that you could adapt or edit to fit on a business card or 3X5. This can be a BIG hurdle for many people, so give yourself full access to all the available tools to succeed.

Best wishes for an adherent, successful week! Take care & be well.
Mark Cooper

Re: Mark's Replies for July 16 - Part 2

Postby Noella » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:03 am

Mark Cooper wrote:Noella - Don't despair! Falling into the Pleasure Trap is never fun, but you know exactly the pattern of behavior that will lead you back out again; it just takes adherence + time... Do you feel like there was some specific development or change in your day to day context, environment or preparation that opened the door for the detour into non adherent food? If so, tackling that obstacle should help. Make it as easy as you can for yourself to reach for the recommended foods whenever you feel hungry, and block your access to anything troublesome, as best you can. I know you can do it; after all, you've done it before, right?

Hi Mark, Thank you for your encouragement. To answer your question, yes, simply going to help my daughter with her new baby for six days opened the door into nonadherent food. Travelling for the first time in months, eating at restaurants in airports, worrying about the COVID-19 variants even though Im vaccinated, spending time with my daughter, all was very emotional. Also, we had a wildfire near our home on July 1st and we had leave our house for one night and be ready to evacuate at a moments notice since then. During these emotional couple weeks I have had processed food, restaurant food and home cooked meals all with added oil, salt, and sugar. I also thought, mistakingly, that I was being moderate about these but that wasn’t true. But now that I’ve tasted a little bit of richer foods I’m craving these foods again. I’ve done well at not eating these foods for 18 months; now I’m struggling to avoid them .

#1 obstacle: One obstacle for me is that I always want to fit in socially and not be a problem for others. I want to be pleasant, polite and helpful, so eating off MWL for one week, eating some non adherent foods in moderation seemed like it would work out and be okay. But clearly my experience with the trip to my daughter’s house, showed me that ‘moderation is not an option’ for me, It seems to be especially challenging for me when oil/fat and sugar are not at zero. I’m trying to figure out the areas where even a tiny taste does way more harm than good.

#2 obstacle: A second obstacle for me is emotional eating. I find myself overeating when I’m stressed. For the most part I now choose low calorie dense foods, like potatoes for this. However, in the past two weeks I have chosen high calorie-dense foods rather than keeping firmly to MWL adherent foods.

#3 obstacle: A third obstacle for me is the food I see in my home environment: the food my husband is eating. Once I was back home from the trip to help my daughter I thought I would be right back to adhering to MWL but, no, it’s been much harder than I expected. My husband seems to be eating and drinking a lot more calorie dense foods lately. ( He probably ate all his favourite high calorie foods when I was away) He doesn’t need to lose weight and he’s strong, fit and physically very active. I usually don’t have any trouble staying away from the rich foods that he likes and keeps in the fridge and pantry as I have decided these aren’t food for me. But tonight t my husband offered me some very high calorie food and beverages that he likes, making it doubly hard for me and while I was able to say “no thanks” I don’t understand why he even offered it to me, but it’s probably just him trying to be kind, because he’s very supportive of me doing MWL. He has also recently started adding oil and salt into some of the food he prepares for both of us to eat thinking I won’t notice and he was so surprised when I did! I’m going to have to communicate more clearly on what I will eat and follow through by refusing to eat food that has even one drop of oil added to it, no matter how much love or creativity he has put into it, even if my refusal to eat makes him uncomfortable or upset. Tonight he made us a wonderful veggie salad and I was so looking forward to it then, sadly, I knew at first bite that he had added some salt to the salad. He showed me the tiny spoon he had used to measure the salt so that I would know the amount and he was adamant that such a small amount should be okay. Then the pasta sauce had some oil added into in it. Not much but enough that I noticed it. I do love it when my husband cooks and he knows that I love his cooking. But the calorie dense foods are so enticing and he wants them and he also wants me to enjoy theses foods, too. I don’t want to hurt his feelings as I explain to him that even a tiny amount of added oil, salt or sugar in a pasta sauce, veggie dish or soup is creating a problem for me to be adherent to MWL behaviours and lose the excess weight I’m still needing to lose.

Thank you for having confidence in me, Mark. I appreciate your steadfast support and encouragement. Answering your questions has tonight has really helped me to think through and clarify what my main obstacles are. I am now ready to face these obstacles head on and find my way back, starting right now.
Noella
Last edited by Noella on Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noella

Postby louie3084 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:19 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: +1.0

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :D
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 5/7 :mad:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 5/7 :twisted:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 7/7
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 7/7
6. Eliminate any added oil. 7/7
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 5/7 :twisted:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 7/7
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 5/7 :x
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 7/7

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I had a very stressful week, our house was being sold but Melbourne was plunged into lock-down due to covid. Anyway, the house sold and for a decent price so it's a good ending, but I was busy and stressed so stumbled through the week and had ice cream and peanut butter on occasion!
louie3084

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:53 am

Good Friday moring.

Last week: 177.6
This week: 176.2
Lost: -1.4

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 100%
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 100%
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. 100%
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).100%
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).95%
6. Eliminate any added oil. 100%
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products. 100%
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).100%
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. 100%
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking. 100%

Successes/Challenges. Last week I had been at a plateau for several days, so decided to tweak the guidelines formula. I focused a lot more on #2 guideline (50/50 greens/non starch veggies) with my meals; also paid attention to #9. I had a few days of not really being hungry! so it wasn't a problem to just not eat. My clothes are looser, tape measure confirms inches lost. And I was shocked to see current weight on the scales. So, a piece of fruit and green beans with morning oatmeal; surprised how full I feel. :-D
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:15 am

149.4 Weight change +/- in lbs: -1.6 pounds
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Survived another birthday party week. I think I’m getting better at this. Planning is definitely key. I feel like I’m in a pretty good place, but as the stress of heading back to school and everything comes closer I know I’m going to really need to plan and focus to stay the course. One thing I think I need to work through is having people over. I’m torn between wishing people could just enjoy what I eat and serving what they like. Sometimes it makes me just not want to have people over. I need to plan a graduation party for my husband, but some of the people would definitely not be okay with my menu. Sometimes it feels so extra though, like you don’t like strawberries and watermelon because all the food is vegan??? I think I just need to figure out my role in it all and how to not be annoyed.
Rebecka22

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:35 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: +1.5

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. yes
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. one bite of a chocolate bar last night
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). yes
6. Eliminate any added oil. yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. yes
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. yes
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). yes

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Frustration with weight gain instead of weight loss again this week. I'm thankful that I weigh every day, because I see the ups and downs. HOWEVER, I am simply not putting extra importance on the scale. I'm training myself to the guidelines, and phooey on the numbers. But if I'd been the type to weigh once a week, and stepped on the scale to find it up AGAIN two weeks in a row, there's probably nothing that would convince me to keep at MWL. Probably regular starch solution, but MWL is feeling like it isn't really worth it. And that's just me being honest.

Also feeling extreme frustration at my knee going out. It's almost completely non-weight bearing after having to make a couple of dashes yesterday when it started raining hard while I was out walking. I'm limping hard today and trying really hard to stay positive.

Staying with the guidelines for 100% adherence is a victory for the week. :nod:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby GreenFroG » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:30 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: -0.4 lbs

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsdown:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Another busy week, so haven't had time to read a lot of the posts and Mark's links. Hope everyone is doing well. I need to catch up this week (my goal). I met my goal to prep on the weekend (success). I made Jeff's longevity soup and added couscous as my starch, which I had in the cupboard. Later I realized I had not cooked with it in a long time, so I looked it up in the advanced search. If it is not whole wheat, it is more like plain pasta and calorie dense (thumbs down on #7). It was from the bulk bins at a health store, so I am assuming it was not "whole wheat" and I have been eating non MWL pasta with my soup all week (concern). Now I know why I had it in the back of the cupboard! Ha! Well, proceeding onward one step at a time while laughing at self!
GreenFroG

Mark's Replies for July 23 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:02 pm

louie3084 - Selling your house during a lock-down certainly does sound stress-inducing! :eek: I'm glad you were able to get a satisfactory price. The dietary indiscretions that many of us have used as a coping mechanism don't really serve our interests, in my opinion; often they don't actually make things feel better, right? It might be worth taking the time to establish some specific activities (unrelated to food) that you can intentionally turn toward when stress feels overwhelming. What is most important after a lapse, of course, is to get directly back to the recommended pattern of behavior.

deweyswakms - Nice progress, Marsha! It seems like attending to the 50/50 plate, along with near-perfect adherence this week, is really working for you. Carry on!

Rebecka22 - Excellent adherence and a nice loss! I'm glad you are feeling fairly confident in your ability to manage varying situations - Great work "surviving" another party week. :thumbsup: You are SO right that planning and preparation is fundamental to success. I recognize what you mean about guests who, in the absence of SAD fare, suddenly don't like fruits and vegetables. In my personal experience, sometimes simply not presenting things as being "vegan" can help with that; I tend to prepare meals centered around adherent foods, with some richer "add-ins" for visitors. Things like burrito bowls, buddha bowls, baked potatoes w/ toppings assortment, sushi, &c. can often work; it gives people some agency to assemble a meal they can enjoy (or at least accept for that meal). Good luck with the party planning!

bunsofaluminum -
Staying with the guidelines for 100% adherence is a victory for the week.
Good for you, Heidi; that is definitely a victory! Best wishes for an easy recovery from the knee injury. Kudos, too, for keeping your focus on practicing the recommended behaviors, rather than the scale reading. The measure will start to reflect that improvement in due course, just stick with it.

GreenFroG - Great work succeeding at your prep goal! And good catch on the couscous; you'll know to buy a whole wheat version if you have it again, so lesson learned. :) Onward!
Mark Cooper

Postby Angelea » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:02 pm

Hello! I have reviewed the orientation materials and would like to join the group!

I just finished a 10 day Mary's Mini last weekend (5 lbs lost) and am jumping into the the MWL program as the next step in my whole foods plant based journey to better health and wellness.

Thank you!

Angelea
Angelea

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program