The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - February 2022 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Reporting for February 11 Assessments is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:00 pm

The window for reporting this week's behavioral results has officially closed.

The remainder of my replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for February 11 - Part 2

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:04 pm

squealcat - Nice progress, Marilyn! A week over week improvement is, as you wrote, "pretty darn good." :)
squealcat wrote:I took extra food ( potatoes ) with me instead and plenty of veg soup too.
Great practice!
Ready availability of the recommended foods is key for success.
squealcat wrote:I pay little attention to Facebook and other places now and just stick with what I know to be true. I like easy and simple!
This gave me a big smile! :D See you next week!

josietheschnauzer - Huzzah! 10/10! Way to go, Elsa! Kudos to you for keeping yourself focused on maintaining the recommended pattern of behavior and not getting caught up with a "lust for result." That dal you describe sounds fabulous. What sort of device are you using when you try to print the recipes? I just use the "print recipe" button at the bottom of the recipe, but I'm viewing and printing from a desktop PC; on mobile devices, the option to print is sometimes under "share," I think. Best of luck!

Gimmelean - Isn't it funny how sometimes we take actions that seem to contradict our intentions, and when reflecting upon that we don't really know why? The human mind is a funny thing, right? Still a near-perfect week, otherwise, and it sounds like your body gave you some immediate, valuable feedback.
Gimmelean wrote:Since eating this way, this year and last it feels so good to say that’s not the case. Lapses yes , but I’m not willing to let go.
I think you have it right; lapses may (and do) happen, but what is important is being willing and able to hold on to the habits we work so hard to build, and maintain a prevailing pattern of behavior that is congruent with our goals. I am happy you found the focus on making adherent meals as appealing as possible to be helpful. :) Onward!

Lachoffman - Pretty consistent on a majority of the points! I'm thrilled that you are feeling excited by the possibilities this way of eating can enable. Great work eliminating the "animal additions" from your coffee! :thumbsup: Now just keep chipping away at those remaining "exceptions" wherever you can. Was there a particular context for the "off program" meals and beverages? Something that could be anticipated, or more of a spur of the moment event? Anything you could plan to address differently in the future?

Noella - I'm delighted you are feeling encouraged! Isn't it fun and exciting to be on DAY ONE of that good plan you set up for yourself?

moonlight - Continuing to practice and becoming more and more consistent is what it is all about! Encouraging for sure!
moonlight wrote:I am inconsistent in following all the principals all the time. Sometimes I am bored with my choices. Other times it is because I haven't planned and don't have something ready to eat when I need it.
Enacting the plan you set for the week to come should deal with the latter obstacle; I wonder if taking some time to think through and plan a wider variety of adherent meals that feel "exciting" to you could help with the former? Have a fun, healthful Valentine's Day!

VegSeekingFit - Great to see your post, Stephanie! I'll be very interested to read how resuming that daily self-check-in works for you; it was absolutely essential to my own progress. Something else that might be worth trying (if you haven't already done so), consider modestly increasing the overall volume of your dinner meal as an experiment - since after dinner struggles are the challenge it might help to be really sure you are feeling "comfortably full." You will get this tackled with time, just keep applying tools and strategies and adjust based on what has worked and what hasn't in your specific situation.
Mark Cooper

Summary for February 11 Reports

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:28 pm

Please note - I replied to reporting participants in the two posts linked below.

Mark's Replies for February 11 - Part 1
Mark's Replies for February 11 - Part 2

Two February check-ins down, two more to go! I applaud all of your inspiring, ongoing efforts toward making the recommended pattern of behavior a real "way of living!"

Here are some highlights from the reports:

Faced with the knowledge that she would be spending time in a tempting environment, Marilyn took steps to support her adherence.
squealcat wrote:I took extra food ( potatoes ) with me instead and plenty of veg soup too.
This might seem like something simple, but we should never forget that adherence is only made possible if the recommended foods are present and available; it is a prerequisite for success.

In addition to making some homemade broth (with no added salt) this week, Elsa also tried out a delicious sounding recipe.
josietheschnauzer wrote:I made a delicious yellow bean and red lentil dal from the Mary McDougall recipe collection online last night for my book club. It was a complete meal with brown rice and greens.
There are all sorts of amazing, adherent recipes available that can often be a real hit for group events, including with guests who aren't practicing this way of eating.

Gimmelean directed special effort toward crafting really appealing, appetizing meals that fit the recommendations:
I batch cooked brown basmati rice, brown rice and petite beluga lentils, a portobello sweet pepper dish, and oil free caramelized onions at the beginning of the week. Small touches felt very special and I never felt bored by the end of the week eating the same things.
That sounds fabulous, right? Sometimes those small touches can make an outsized difference.

For some extra reading, here is a really great article (that came up in the discussion above) which makes visible the important distinctions between the way of eating recommended here and a diet that is "vegan":
When Vegan Is Not Enough!

My best to you all! Take care and be well! :D
Mark Cooper

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - February 2022 Group

Postby carwex » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:33 pm

Hi Mark and veteran MWLers I remember from the last few years!

I have been meaning to return to this group for a few months now. The new brilliant format and seeing names I recognize has given me the impetus to begin again, Actually I have been doing really well. Reached my goal weight of 125 and added in some higher fat foods so as not to lose more.
However, at the moment I am faced with some large challenges in my life: we are moving from one continent where we have lived for over 50 years to another continent where my children and grandchildren live. It is an exciting prospect but requires a lot of work to wrap up a whole life and move. The stress comes out in my eating behaviors so before I start gaining weight and returning to those foods that made me fat (from a young age) I would welcome the accountability and awareness that comes with being part of this group.Is it possible to start mid-month?
I will share one recent achievement due to MWL: My husband and I contracted covid19 in October 2021 and were under the care of a local hospital who would checkin by phone. After asking our weight (low) and underlying conditions (none) and our ages (me almost 80 and my husband 83) they pronounced us "low risk". What a lovely phrase -low risk - music to my ears. As Dr McDougall says. "It's the food!"
Carol
carwex

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:41 am

carwex - It was wonderful to read your post, Carol! I'm so happy to hear you've been doing well. I have to imagine that undertaking such a momentous move is both quite laborious AND stress-inducing. You are most welcome to join the group now; starting mid-month is not a problem, and TODAY is ALWAYS the best day to begin. :-D Congratulations to you and your husband for attaining that "low risk" designation (as a result of your diligent efforts toward a health-promoting pattern of behavior); music to one's ears, indeed! :thumbsup:
Mark Cooper

Re: Mark's Replies for February 11 - Part 2

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:00 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:VegSeekingFit - Great to see your post, Stephanie! I'll be very interested to read how resuming that daily self-check-in works for you; it was absolutely essential to my own progress. Something else that might be worth trying (if you haven't already done so), consider modestly increasing the overall volume of your dinner meal as an experiment - since after dinner struggles are the challenge it might help to be really sure you are feeling "comfortably full." You will get this tackled with time, just keep applying tools and strategies and adjust based on what has worked and what hasn't in your specific situation.

Thank you so much, Mark!!! I have not tried yet what you suggest, but this seems to be a good path to try. Appreciate you so much!!! I will keep trying regardless - like the Energizer Bunny!! :lol:
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby myrawood » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:22 am

Jumping in late but excited to restart. Fell back into the pleasure trap and ready to climb out!
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
No problem.✔️
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
got it.✔️
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
This is my primary focus. Too addictive.Abstinence is key!✔️
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Done✔️
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
will do.✔️
6. Eliminate any added oil.
Got it.✔️
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
wow! no popcorn? OK. I’m ready.✔️
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
✔️
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.✔️
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).✔️

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
myrawood

Postby BambiS » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:36 am

2/18

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes, no issues here

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes, I did better. I even tried a fresh artichoke, not worth it. Nice flavor, but not much there.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes no problem

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes, I haven’t had any desire for these foods

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).Yes, no desire for them

6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes, not a problem

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. I did have a few blue corn chips this week during the super bowl. My hometown team Cincinnati Bengals were in it.

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes
I drink water daily, herbal teas, or Teeccino

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes, tried to be more mindful of this.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes
I met my daily steps goal.I did do some toning.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions

Is brown rice spring roll wrappers okay to have filled with fresh vegetables? Not fried, but soaking the wrap in water.

Not being able to add all losses is a little discouraging and confusing listing my totals. Past 2 weeks have been oz losses, but over .5

-1 this week -26 total since 11-7 and -35 since end of August. I had lost some before joining the group
BambiS

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:28 am

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES This continued to be a habit.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES I stuck with my regular frozen veggies this week.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO My husband surprised me with takeout on Valentines Day, but he got it with extra veggies and no tofu and he had served my plate with half non-starchy vegetables as well as a starter salad. This is the first time ever he’s tried to do all the things, so only two no’s, one for the salt and one for the oil is huge improvement.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES I am committed to this one so it’s easier for me.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES Thankfully no tofu in the takeout.
6. Eliminate any added oil. NO Monday’s meal out definitely had oil.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES To be completely honest this was very close to a no. On Monday after the takeout I was really tempted to have cookies and ice cream after dinner, since I already had no’s from dinner, but then I thought that wasn’t fair when he clearly tried so hard to honor my eating habits so I ate fruit instead and thankfully the rest of the week wasn’t too hard after I refrained that night.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES I did better about not opening the floodgates.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES I did good here this week.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES I do well with this one.

Overall I feel good about the week and I think not using one no as an excuse for a lot more was a positive step. I hope everyone has a great week. Thanks for all the support!
Rebecka22

Postby Lachoffman » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:10 am

A) 10-POINT CHECKLIST
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes, consistently.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes, for two of three meals each day; having oatmeal with fruit in mornings.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes, cooking without salt and adding it when necessary.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes, although there was two meals this week that I compromised on this - once I ate chicken and another I had cheese - it is a matter of planning and sticking to the plan!
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes, everyday.
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes, every meal.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes, although I did have some tortilla chips with salsa at the Mexican restaurant this week. Savory things are my weakness!
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes, except I had a Sangria on Valentine's Day.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes, every meal.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Doubled my activity this week from two day to 4 days of 30+ minutes. Will continue to improve next week, especially since the days are getting longer and warmer.

B) Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I am still not 100% on the MWL, but have been making recipes from MWL program and having more food prepared to turn to when hungry. Made the Vegetable Sweet Potato Soap this week and the Mushroom Stroganoff (with lentil fettuccine, which I hope is okay?). Also made a mushroom vegetable sauce to go over baked potatoes from MWL. This helps to control appetite and temptations.

C) Didn't weigh this week in time to post due to travel plans.
Lachoffman

Postby Noella » Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:59 pm

Hi Mark and Everyone,

:-D :nod: 1. Start each meal with a soup AND/OR salad AND/OR fruit. I'm doing good at adding multiple preloads to every meal. An apple AND a salad, for instance. I sometimes have a second soup AND/OR salad AND/OR fruit as a final course at the end of a meal. Lot's of FIBRE and nutrient-dense! Feeling excited to have this habit down pat.
:-D 2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
:-D 3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
:-D 4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). I don't want to eat these foods anymore. In my opinion, dairy products are the way to weigh more, and I believe that it was my excess consumption of dairy products that caused me to become obese. I had the false idea that I needed to eat dairy products to get enough calcium for so many years. Now I enjoy getting calcium by eating broccoli, kale, cabbage, spinach, peas, beans, lentils...
:-D 5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
:-D 6. Eliminate any added oil.
:-D 7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods, including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
:-D 8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
:-D 9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until comfortably full. Don't starve yourself, and don't stuff yourself.
:-D 10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Thanks to last week's pep talk from Mark, I did much better this week.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: With a handful of pounds left to lose, I realize that developing healthy daily habits is key to permanent and lasting changes. I plan to continue adhering to the MWL guidelines until I achieve my goal weight and maintain it for six months.

Best regards,
Noella

Weight 145 lbs.
Last edited by Noella on Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Noella

Mark's Replies for February 18 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:05 pm

BambiS - You are keeping your good routine rolling forward! It doesn't sound like that Super Bowl "exception" precipitated any further deviations, which is great; those types of salty, crunchy calorie rich foods are definitely a Pleasure Trap trigger for many of us. You are, of course, free to record your weight change in any format you prefer for your own purposes; we just ask that the self-assessment reports, if they include weight, stick to whole numbers, since the paramount focus for the group is on adopting the recommended pattern of behavior, rather than the scale. It is fine (perhaps even preferable) to omit weight change entirely for reporting, if that seems simpler. I would guess that water-soaked brown rice paper wrappers are one of those rare foods that are probably acceptable, but not necessarily recommended; they are definitely on the borderline, not as calorie dense as corn tortillas, but more calorie dense than cooked whole grain pasta.

Rebecka22 - Major progress from last week! Especially your achievement in not letting the deviations on Valentine's Day serve as a prelude for adding more "exceptions." :thumbsup: Kudos to you for honoring your husband's efforts toward making that takeaway meal lean in the direction of the guidelines, by sticking to all the remaining recommendations you could. Feeling more at ease with adhering for the rest of the week is a nice bonus in exchange for your exercise of "willpower," right? Cheers!

Lachoffman - Having the recommended foods prepared and available is THE KEY prerequisite for success, so I applaud your efforts in that direction! It seems you have settled into a somewhat established routine over the last several weeks, with a number of the recommendations consistently "conquered", and a recurring array of challenges. Do you feel like more of those "exceptions" could be eliminated with a little more planning, as well as the added prep? If you are home and settled from your travels, this might be an excellent time to take stock of where your challenges lie, consider which goals you most value, and evaluate what changes you would be willing to make in order to better adhere to the recommended pattern of behavior (assuming that your important goals are still in congruence with MWL). The various bean/lentil based pasta are acceptable, provided they do not contain any other ingredients that are recommended for elimination. Probably worth keeping in mind Dr. McDougall's general recommendation to keep our consumption of beans ~1 Cup per day, on average, when considering those types of pasta, though.
JeffN wrote:Whole wheat pasta is allowed, but are any other grains/legumes, such as chickpea, lentil or brown rice pasta?

They are allowed, but there is no real benefit to them over the whole grain pasta in the context of our dietary pattern. Also, remember, legumes are limited (in any form) and these legume based products can be 2-3x the cost, or more. The health concerns we have are not because we are eating whole grain pasta instead of legume pasta.

Noella - Woo-hoo! TEN big SMILES! Including getting in more physical activity! Very well done. What exercise routine and tactics worked to fit things together this week? Anything stand out as a best practice for you going forward?
Last edited by Mark Cooper on Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mark Cooper

Re: Mark's Replies for February 18 - Part 1

Postby Noella » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:21 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:Noella - ...What exercise routine and tactics worked to fit things together this week? Does anything stand out as a best practice for you going forward?

Thanks for the question, Mark. I like doing physical exercise and accomplishing something valuable at the same time. This week turned out to be quite productive. I followed your advice to start doing just ten minutes of something physical as a priority. That small goal of just ten minutes meant I did at least a little, which usually led to me doing more. I then felt motivated to follow some basic exercises with spring cleaning. My washing windows and decluttering closets inspired my husband to install additional upper shelves and apply fresh paint inside our bedroom closets and our kitchen pantry cupboard. So trying to get more exercise led to lots of nice improvements:

Our pantry cupboard looks AMAZING with fresh paint and organizing of the big jars with a variety of whole grains, legumes and whole-grain kinds of pasta on display, so colourful, inspiring and beautiful to look at. My closet looks wonderful with fresh paint, another upper shelf for storing off-season clothing, and it's much more organized, too. I have all of my workout clothes in one basket and cross country ski clothes in another. I put these activewear baskets on a shelf at eye level with labels to further motivate me to get moving each day.

Best regards,
Noella
Last edited by Noella on Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Noella

Postby squealcat » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:47 pm

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup: Still is getting easier to do ! Making a new veg soup today.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup: I often eat my meals in bowls and not plates but I am pretty sure it is about 50/ 50
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup: still paying attention to this one
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup: no porblem
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsdown: I had a piece of bread with one ingredient nut butter on it but that is all
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsdown: lunch out with friends
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsdown: same lunch with friends
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup: continue to pay attention to this one. Did not stuff myself this week.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:I walked about 3 miles on 5 days this week and also stretch exercises on 6 days and I am good with this.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:this week went well but not quite as good as the last week. I went out for lunch with fellow nurse friends and that restaurant was NOT veg friendly by any means. I ordered a BLT leaving off the B (bacon), adding onion and a salad adding my own dressing . All went well until my friend brought in a birthday cake :duh: . I did have a small slice of that but did not take any home with me. Glad I wasn't the birthday girl....she took the rest home. :nod: I must be prepared for these little surprises in the future ! Snacking at my daughter's continues to be a challenge but I go there only once a week. I just brought along plenty of food to eat and have extra, cooked potatoes at home for when I am tempted. So , I must tell myself to be ready for any surprises that may flip my plans over ! :-D

Thanks to all of you and have a good week !
-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby carwex » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:55 pm

Hi Mark,
This week was not great. Coming home to the Middle East meant tasting the foods that I have loved here and have not been available in the last 2 years (since starting the MWL). Yes some foods taste better here but they are mostly adherent foods like some fruits and vegetables. Pure “pleasure trap” is the problem and I had forgotten the phrase until I read what my fellow MWLers are writing.
Yes I am under pressure but pressure is only a fiction of the mind as I learned today. I have to sell my apartment, very stressful, got a good realtor who believes in "keeping it simple". We set an upper price for the apt, and today was the first day of showing. A couple gave a bid that was close to the maximum price! After only one day! Where’s the pressure?
Only in my mind.
The universe CAN be kind.
So
I am going back to the spell
of MWL

Thank you Mark for the very warm welcome back to the fold.

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes, I have gotten used to doing this.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES, the visual aspect helps
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES I use a minimum amount of salt. I use it in cooking but will ty to use it only at table
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).YES, this is rarely a problem but this week I had a piece of fish.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO this is where I am having trouble. I feel the need to stop losing weight so I add some of these to my diet. However, Those foods that are too pleasurable (like tahini) need to be eliminated. It might be better to add those foods which do not present a problem like tofu or soy.
6. Eliminate any added oil. NO. I have gone back to using a bit of oil in some foods for the reason that I don’t want to lose more weight but I think that it gets to be a habit.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO when I feel a bit hungry or stressed I go for a slice of toast with something on it. This week I had a felafel in a pita, all wrong really and I actually did not enjoy it.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).YES.This is not a problem.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES, I have a satisfying meal. For inbetween when I am tempted I need to have on hand substitutes, like a baked potato and some veggies, This has worked well in the past.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES. I stopped swimming a while ago when the omicron was heating up and now try to walk a lot every day with my husband.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Having analyzed what I am doing for each behavior I see where I can improve. It's good to be back.
Carol
carwex

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program