The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - February 2022 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Mark's Replies for February 25 - Part 2

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:29 pm

Noella wrote:Is there a link to Jeff Novick's wonderful series of videos with cooking lessons? I need to watch those again, too!
I don't think the full Fast Food videos are on YouTube, but some samples are here, and Jeff's own YouTube vids are here.
Mark Cooper

Summary for February 25 Reports

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:09 pm

Please note - I replied to reporting participants in the two posts linked below.

Mark's Replies for February 25 - Part 1
Mark's Replies for February 25 - Part 2

What an amazing month it has been! I am so impressed with what the participants in this group have achieved, and with the thoughtful, diligent effort displayed each week. What a privilege it is to enjoy this journey with you!

I thought today's summary might be a good place to carry on with our discussion about the Off Topic thread. We really appreciate all the feedback, thoughts, and observations that have been shared. I want to say clearly that I don't think the Off Topic thread has been a bad thing, or that there is anything wrong with it; on the contrary, I think the discussion has been really exciting, encouraging and beneficial! That's why I think it would add so much to the Time + Adherence Group discussion. Speaking personally, my goal for this group is to help participants craft a lifestyle that promotes health and wellbeing in a way that can be sustained over the long haul, within the specific context of a given individual. To my mind, there is hardly ANYTHING that is truly "off topic" here, because we are all attempting to build a way of living that works for us. The only discussions that strike me as being inappropriate to the group would be advocacy AGAINST the recommendations (and I do mean advocacy, asking questions is ALWAYS okay), or promoting the usual laundry list of "hacks" that Jeff discusses here. And, of course, this thread is only for those who are currently following MWL and participating in the group. You've all helped me to understand and recognize that the main group thread has perhaps started to feel a bit too formal to provide the full gamut of social support and comradeship that can be so helpful and essential toward staying the course and finding success. I think including the sort of congenial, supportive, friendship building posts on display in the Off Topic thread can go a long way toward building the group environment we all want to see.

As we head into March, I want to encourage everyone who is following the MWL program to post in the primary Time + Adherence March group thread (which will go live on Monday) whenever you feel so inclined, even if the subject feels "off topic". Please do not worry about derailing the thread. I will also make the commitment that I will only post in response to the weekly self-assessments, to welcome brand new participants, or as a reply to a question directed toward me. We want everyone to feel comfortable and unselfconscious in their participation. Hopefully, my stepping out of the way will allow all of you to drive the conversation and connect more easily. So, let's give it a try.

Please let me know if you have concerns, or you foresee issues that I am missing. We want to help everyone meet their needs, and open communication seems essential to that end.

Best to all! Take care and be well!
Mark Cooper

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - February 2022 Group

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:12 pm

Thank you so much, Mark for all that you do!!! :-D

So appreciate how you share, interact, help us all!!! You are seriously a rock star --- and I have said that to my McD support person!!! All of us group participants are lucky to have you to help us... I can't even imagine anyone who could be more supportive and positive and ask good questions (because we all need to find our own way... )...

I like how what can be posted in this thread for next month is defined --- and encourages more socializing / informal support. (Also like that it is hard for me to imagine doing a bad post... :lol: )

I think that maybe only two things I would say here... (for what it is worth... :) )

* I hope that you would post if any post isn't addressed to you - but you have something to add /want to add... I seriously would doubt that any post that you would make would make anyone uncomfortable...

* I know (Squealcat / Marilyn shared similar in the other thread)... we as group participants need to step up --- if we want to create an environment of friendly support / sharing .... we as group members have roles too, yes? And it is well-defined what is ok to post... but an environment of sharing / friendship has to come from members participating....

* I am all in... thank you for this!! :)

Best,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - February 2022 Group

Postby moonlight » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:27 pm

Noella wrote: Victories, comments, concerns, questions: [color=#FF8000]Yesterday I went to a get together and wore a small size outfit from my closet -- one II haven't worn since 2000 because it was too small! It finally fits because my waist is steadily coming back down to what it once was! I have lost so many inches and losing these, especially on my waistline, makes such an improvement to my appearance. I have now had a taste of "looking good" and there is no way I am ever going back to being overweight. Thanks to this forum I have learned how to completely change my lifestyle. Yes, that's what it takes to lose a hundred pounds of excess weight-- a 180 degree change. I didn't like vegetables or salad...now I do! I used to love specialty sweets/treats and rich gourmet cooking -- Now I only cook oil free! Big changes, big results. I am SO thankful for the knowledge I have now and I learn more each and every week with this thread. Thanks to everyone! I look forward to continuing to make progress in March. I'm coming up to my 2 year anniversary with MWL on April 1st as I joined on April 1st, 2020.

Congratulations, Noella!! You have worked hard these past two years! Getting into the smaller size outfit is the best, isn't it?! You rock! :D
moonlight

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program