The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - April 2022 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - April 2022 Group

Postby JeffN » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:50 pm

squealcat wrote:BYOB & B ! I will remember that ! I have barley in my cupboard and will have it more often now. I have labs drawn in the fall and will remember this. My doctor is happy with my cholesterol numbers but I would like to see improvement as in getting my total to be below 150. Maybe this year !

-Marilyn

You might want to read this thread on cholesterol numbers before you set such a goal. A cholesterol of 150 is not a guarantee of anything nor the most important number to go by

https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 7&p=344300

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Noella » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:43 am

JeffN wrote: April 5, 2022

We really recommend fasting 10 hours before these tests as eating can influence the numbers.

In regard to cholesterol, I teach an acronym, BYOB & B :) which stands for Beans, Yams, Oats, Barley and Berries. These foods are some of the highest in soluble fibre, which can help lower cholesterol. So, someone trying to lower their cholesterol numbers might want to make these the main part of their diet. So, beans at every meal, Yams or sweet potatoes instead of white, red, etc., potatoes and berries are the best choice for fruit. I would add in the BYOBB, double-check every label to make sure no oil or sat fat is slipping in, wait 2-3 months and retest after fasting.

For the record, everything you hear about oats is true, but barley is actually more beneficial than oats (though oats are still good). It makes a great breakfast, and barley groats can replace rice, etc. Look for unhulled.

If I remember correctly, Landog followed the above recommendations, and it had quite an impact on his numbers. You might want to PM him or post in the Health section to him.

Regards,
Jeff

Thank you SO much, Jeff!!! I really like your creative acronym: BYOB&B :) . I've added BYOB&B :) to the top of my grocery list in notes on my iPhone/devices so that it's the first thing I see on the list when I'm shopping. I enjoy eating all of the foods listed, especially beans and berries, so I am EXCITED about this new eating plan and will start eating more BYOB&B right away! Coincidentally, I made black bean soup earlier today and baked three yams. I also cooked steel-cut oats with blueberries for breakfast. I guess I am off to a good start, haha! So, I like these foods a lot, and it will be an easy transition for me to include them in my diet every day! I will need to find a store that sells hulled barley, possibly online.

I really want you to know that I greatly appreciate your suggestions, Jeff. I am motivated to include BYOB&Bs in every meal! It feels wonderful to know what to do!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Best regards,
Noella
Last edited by Noella on Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noella

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:57 am

Noella wrote:I will need to find a store that sells unhulled barley, possibly online.
Shiloh Farms brand barley is available in hulless and hulled (either of which should fit the bill). I find it at my local supermarket, but I know it is also available via Vitacost.
Mark Cooper

Postby JeffN » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:28 am

Mark Cooper wrote:
Noella wrote:I will need to find a store that sells unhulled barley, possibly online.
Shiloh Farms brand barley is available in hulless and hulled (either of which should fit the bill). I find it at my local supermarket, but I know it is also available via Vitacost.

Oops. I meant to say hulled. :)

I corrected my post above.

Yes, hulless is also a whole grain variety of barley & acceptable

I buy Be-Still-Farms at Amazon in 5 lb bags. Cooking some up this morning. :)

Thanks Mark!

Regards
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:21 am

Noella wrote:Thank you SO much, Jeff!!! I really like your creative acronym: BYOB&B :) . I've added BYOB&B :) to the top of my grocery list in notes on my iPhone/devices so that it's the first thing I see on the list when I'm shopping. I enjoy eating all of the foods listed, especially beans and berries, so I am EXCITED about this new eating plan and will start eating more BYOB&B right away! Coincidentally, I made black bean soup earlier today and baked three yams. I also cooked steel-cut oats with blueberries for breakfast. I guess I am off to a good start, haha! So, I like these foods a lot, and it will be an easy transition for me to include them in my diet every day! I will need to find a store that sells unhulled barley, possibly online.

I really want you to know that I greatly appreciate your suggestions, Jeff. I am motivated to include BYOB&Bs in every meal! It feels wonderful to know what to do!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Best regards,
Noella

Sounds like a plan. I posted a correction to my post, it should be "Hulled" barely (or hulless). I like the hulled better.

Let's see how it goes and then if needed, we can look further.

To keep this forum MWL focused, PM me or email me your results when you get them at [email protected]

Regards
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Noella » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:27 am

JeffN wrote:
Sounds like a plan. I posted a correctionion to my post; it should be "Hulled" barley (or hulless). I like the hulled better.

Let's see how it goes, and then if needed, we can look further.

To keep this forum MWL focused, PM me or email me your results when you get them at [email protected].

Regards
Jeff
Hi Jeff, Thank you so much! It's great to know brand names and that you recommend the hulled barley, so that's the type of barley I will get. I'm looking forward to making further progress in this incredible MWL journey toward being healthy, trim, and fit.
I look forward to sending you my improved numbers in a few months. I haven't looked at landog's post yet, but I plan to later this evening.

Best regards,
Noella
Noella

Postby squealcat » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:15 am

JeffN wrote: You might want to read this thread on cholesterol numbers before you set such a goal. A cholesterol of 150 is not a guarantee of anything nor the most important number to go by

In Health
Jeff

Jeff, I read all the information in that thread. Thank you ! I am reminded that getting those numbers down is not the only thing to do. Getting my weight down, exercise and also dealing with stress and, I believe, finding joy in daily life are also important.

-Marilyn
squealcat

Postby Noella » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:17 am

squealcat wrote: April 6, 2022
JeffN wrote: You might want to read this thread on cholesterol numbers before you set such a goal. A cholesterol of 150 is not a guarantee of anything nor the most important number to go by

In Health
Jeff

Jeff, I read all the information in that thread. Thank you! I am reminded that getting those numbers down is not the only thing to do. Getting my weight down, exercising and also dealing with stress and, I believe finding joy in daily life is also important.

-Marilyn

Like Marilyn, I read all of the information, including the additional links suggested in Jeff's posts. I didn't realize how important this topic is, and I am motivated to do what I can to reduce my numbers. I like how Marilyn put it: "Getting my weight down, exercising, dealing with stress and finding joy in daily life" is very important, too. Thank you!

Best regards,
Noella
Noella

Postby BambiS » Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:41 am

4-8

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes, no issues here.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.yes did better this week

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes

6. Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes

Victories, comments, concerns, questions
I had a small loss this week. Pretty much a non eventful week.
I am going to make a pumpkin soup this week, yum.
BambiS

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:32 am

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES This continued to be a habit.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES I stuck with my regular frozen veggies again this week.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES No problems again this week!
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES I am committed to this one so it’s easier for me.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES No problems here this week either.
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES No eating out and nothing processed.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES Easier week here with less cravings.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES No big cravings here this week.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES I stayed on top of the planning.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES I continued to do well with this one although I am still unable to do some things with my hand. Going to the doctor next week. ing to the doctor n

Overall another good week. Thanks for all the advice and support. I hope everyone has a great week!
Rebecka22

Postby squealcat » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:32 am

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup: I did this for every meal this week but maybe not when I needed a potato to keep my snacking at bay
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup: I did pretty well with this too. I need to pay attention to this though in the next week
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup: still just reducing sugar and salt
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup: no problem
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup: stayed away
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup: no problem
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup: kept away from temptation
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup: no problem
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup: I did well with this but had a couple days when I was hungry more frequently
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup: I walked 5 out of 7 days this week and that is fine with me

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:These 10 points are from last week Saturday until today. I got my checklist out and started using it on Saturday. I wrote out two more checklists and posted one in the pantry and the other on the fridge to keep me away from the couple of things I tend to binge on. Just the act of doing that helped to ingrain in my brain just what my intention was (is) for the week. Also, someone posted a little sentence at the end of her post last week that really just hit me.
It went something like: "Let's all be Star McDougallers this week !) I really identified with that; not that I want to be one of those stars but really, I want to have what they have. I want to act like that and live like that. Many times this week I just asked myself "what would a Star McDougaller do?" when I came across times that felt like a decision needed to be made. It really helped me.

I had an instance yesterday while at the grocery store when I had a strong urge to buy a couple of treats for myself. It was almost painful . I actually picked up a piece of packaged yummy-looking cake from the bakery section of the store. I picked it up, looked at it and then took a deep breath and put it back. I walked around the store a couple of times and then went home after the decision was made. It took probably 45 minutes for that urge to finally go away. I didn't die ! I just knew that if I had given in, I would crave sweet and fat things the rest of the day and then the next visit to that store it would be back again. I know I have to end all this craziness.

So here I am. I am the same person who posted so many :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: last week.

Thank you to all that are reading all this. It is a bit long. I look forward to this next week. I will take it one day at a time.

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby Golightly » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:15 am

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
:) I’m well practiced at this and enjoy soup or salad or both at lunch and dinner and usually an apple before breakfast.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
:) I really find the 50-50 plate so helpful and easy to do. I’ve been focusing more on making my starches wet ones or steamy ones. For example, using a baked potato or steamed potatoes instead of air fried potatoes.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
:) I don’t cook with salt at all or add it, preferring to use a variety of spices instead. Sugars are a little more challenging as they seem to be in everything from ketchup to pickles. But I purposely don’t cook with it or add it to the foods I prepare.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
:) I have successfully eliminated all animal products for five years now.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
:) I was able to adhere to this guideline this week. But find myself wanting to add Chia seed to my oatmeal and to make a tofu scramble. I will continue to avoid in order to lose more weight however.
6. Eliminate any added oil.
:) I have so enjoyed adhering to this guideline over the past couple of years. There are so many advantages to not cooking with oil: the no oil dressings are delicious, cleaning pots and pans is simple now, food taste so much better without oil. This is one of the best things about eating this way.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
:( oops, this is the one I did not adhere to this week. I had some leftover raisins which I put on oatmeal one day, and I had the oyster crackers that came with a bowl of veggie soup one day. It was a automatic response not thinking about it and just doing it and then realizing later that I had slipped up. I will try to remember about the dried fruit especially and the crackers to going forward.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
:( I had 8 ounces of fresh squeezed orange juice straight from the oranges one morning with my oatmeal. So, I’m not sure if that is a slip up or not. But I understand that eating the orange would be a better option.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
:( I did stuff myself one evening and realized I was eating mindlessly. Having had a very stressful day with taking my pet to the emergency room. It was distracted eating seeking comfort and something I realized later was a trigger for me.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
:) currently training for a 10k, so getting in exercise was easy this week.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
This is my first week back after a couple of years of not being on the forum. So, I realize some of my good behaviors have slipped. For example adding nuts, seeds, dried fruit to oatmeal on a regular basis in the past. However, I particularly enjoyed cleaning my environment this week and filled two grocery bags of things that had creeped back into my household. Since the last time I was on the forum I haven’t gained weight but I haven’t lost much. So, taking these guidelines seriously is what I am hoping will push me off the plateau and get me losing weight again, being about 20 pounds from the perfect BMI.
Golightly

Postby carwex » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:31 pm

Dear Time and Adherence community,

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES I often have 2 soups in the fridge most days ready to go.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES reduced not eliminated
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Nuts still a problem from time to time
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES except for 2 restaurant lunches
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. HMMM. Bread and raisins appeared in my forays to the kitchen this week
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES but still feel Im overeating from stress
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES I’m back at the pool and aiming to get back to my one kilometer lap swim.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
I can’t say I was “a star McDougaller” this week but I think it’s a worthwhile goal to strive for. I am eating standing up while preparing and that adds more food than I need.

Thanks for the discussion about cholesterol. Mine is also higher than 150 ( before McDougall it was over 300 and I was put on statins.). Today without the statins I’m still in the low 200 range.
I thought that since I am not consuming cholesterol, my body produces it. My observation is that higher cholesterol is more prevalent among post menopausal women (at least the one’s I know). It is confusing because I see people who eat way more fat than me and are overweight yet their cholesterol is quite a bit lower. Be that as it may, I never heard of the BYOB&B method to lower cholesterol. So here goes one more restrictive variation! I will try this for 2 months and see if it will help.

About barley, last week I tried pearl barley from the supermarket and it was definitely MORE-ish. I googled barley and found that pearl barley is not a whole food. No wonder my body reacted. As Jeff says, hulled, dehulled or hull-less is whole grain barley. There are wonderful health food chains in our city and I will look there.

Here's an easy delicious soup: Take equal amounts of frozen onions, frozen creamed spinach (no cream), and frozen peas and cook til soft in water or veggie stock. Add a handful or more of fresh mint and cook a few more minutes. Liquefy with a hand blender. It comes out very dark green so I put a splash of plant milk to lighten it. I serve to guests with choice of coconut milk if they want. Possible spices are curry/cumin/coriander/nutmeg.

Carol
carwex

Mark's Replies for April 8 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:35 pm

BambiS - Fantastic! You are so steady and consistent in your application of the principles. :thumbsup: Uneventful weeks can be very nice sometimes, right? :-D Enjoy your pumpkin soup; it sounds tasty!

Rebecka22 - A great week! I'm sure it feels nice to be able to succeed without having to fight so hard against cravings and "problems." Sorry to hear your hand is still a bother for you. Wishing you a pleasant, productive visit to the doctor, and the best outcome!

squealcat - Hooray for you, Marilyn! 10/10! I'm so happy hearing that those "distributed checklists" worked to support you this week, and the question of "what would a Star McDougaller do?" was motivating and encouraging to your efforts. You have DEFINITELY demonstrated that changing the CONTEXT of one's efforts can have a powerful effect on the results. :nod: I think it is SUPER helpful to frame your efforts, as you describe doing, as "acting like" or "becoming" someone who adheres to the recommended pattern of behavior. Great idea! Big kudos to you for resisting those powerful, situational cravings at the grocery store. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Onward!

Golightly - Excited to see your post! Transitioning back to this pattern of behavior after a period away can definitely be an effort, and it almost always takes a little time to reawaken the entirety of those MWL habits. It's great that you were able to arrange your immediate environment in support of your efforts, and you already successfully eliminated those higher fat plant foods you'd been accustomed to including. Just continue to tighten up your focus, being mindful to avoid the other calorie-dense foods that tend to slip in, and you'll be even closer to your goal. To confirm what you mentioned: the recommendation is to eliminate all liquid calories for MWL, so that would include not drinking orange juice, too. You have given yourself a really solid "relaunch" into this lifestyle - keep at it and you will put that plateau in your rearview mirror.

carwex - Striving for progress is what this is all about, Carol, and the influence from added or ongoing stressors can feel like a pretty burdensome obstacle, right? On the occasions when you were choosing the more calorie rich foods, did it feel like that was primarily in response to stress, or was there anything else different about the context of those days? Change in routine, prep, or environment? Thanks for sharing your experiences with cholesterol, I'm sure others appreciate that they are not alone in dealing with that particular challenge. Wishing you great success with your BYOBB experiment!
Mark Cooper

Postby JeffN » Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:12 pm

carwex wrote:Be that as it may, I never heard of the BYOB&B method to lower cholesterol. So here goes one more restrictive variation! I will try this for 2 months and see if it will help.

You might want to read this thread on cholesterol numbers before you set such a goal. A cholesterol of 150 is not a guarantee of anything nor the most important number to go by.

Also lets keep the focus on MWL, which will result in improved lipid numbers, without making it more restrictive

:)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program