The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - April 2022 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - April 2022 Group

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:43 pm

From the thread Jeff linked above:
JeffN wrote:But what is more important and what I feel to be the most important test, is what I call the "plate test." Very few people know about it yet it is one of the most effective tests and simple and easy to do and very inexpensive. You can even do it at home.

Here is how you do it.

When you sit down to eat each meal, look at your "plate" and see if it passes this "test", the "Plate Test."

Are at least 95% of the calories on your plate coming from unrefined unprocessed fruits, vegetables, starchy vegetables, intact whole grains and/or legumes? Are there at least 12-15 grams of fiber coming from whole natural foods? Does it meet my guidelines for sodium? Are any "exceptions" being kept to less than 5% of calories?

If your meal passes this "Plate Test", then I think that is the most effective test you can ever have done and the best indicator of your future health and longevity.
Mark Cooper

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - April 2022 Group

Postby josietheschnauzer » Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:35 pm

Dear Friends, I am starting my life over. I had a major food meltdown and broke MWL rules. Bad news. Good news is that I am reporting it to you all and not hiding like I want to. I hid last week. Thank you. Onward. I start over. I am buying hulled barley from Amazon :)

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit: Yes.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals: Yes.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. No.
4. Eliminate all animal foods: Yes.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods: No.
6. Eliminate any added oil: No.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products, popcorn and dried fruit: No.
8. Don't drink your calories: No.
9. Eat when hungry & until comfortably full. Don't starve and don't stuff: No.
10. Include 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily: Yes, I walk every day at 5am.
josietheschnauzer

Postby Noella » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:13 pm

Hi Mark, Jeff, Wildgoose and April Behavioural Path to MWL Success participants,

I am excited to be here this month and appreciate reading all of the entries! I want to make some healthy lifestyle improvements that I can sustain. Thanks to everyone for sharing and caring. I have been reading and rereading many of your essential and informative posts and other older posts on the McDougall website and forums. I am grateful for all of the excellent resource materials. I've had a great MWL week intellectually and emotionally, even though I'm still at a plateau weight-wise. I'm motivated and inspired to put extra MWL effort into each day.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :-D I enjoy having salads, even before breakfast.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :-D I use Jeff Novick's plate-test and placemat to ensure my meals are healthy and nutritious.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can stop them. :-D I don't add any sugar, but I use a tiny pinch of sea salt on really bland foods. I try to go easy on condiments that have sodium.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :-D I don't want to eat these anymore.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :-D
6. Eliminate any added oil. :-D I like food better without added fat.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods, including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, dried fruit.) :-D
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :-D
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until comfortably full. Don't starve yourself, and don't stuff yourself. :roll: I sometimes eat when I'm not hungry. (social situations and stress)
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :-D Went cross country skiing ; last ski of the season :crybaby:

My focus is with MWL guidelines #2, #3, #9, #10:
More Veggies! MWL Guideline #2
More Herbs! MWL Guideline #3
More Movement! MWL Guideline #10
More Mindfulness! Guideline #9

Best regards,
Noella
Started McDougall Dec.29, 2019 - 240
Started MWL April 1, 2020 - 200
April 8, 2022 - 145

Last edited by Noella on Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Noella

Postby Gimmelean » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:27 am

McDougall Post for week ending 4/08/22

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Yes.

2). Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals.
Yes.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes.

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes.

6) Eliminate any added oil.
Yes.

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
Yes.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: This week I continued being consistent and applied all 10 points of the checklist.
I am so inspired by all of your comments, recipes, guidance, experiences, challenges, solutions, and advice. I never know when or what the one small (or one big) thing that comes up will give me reason to draw upon what you’ve shared in the past that helps me too.
-Jeff, your cholesterol lowering tips especially hit home since my husband and I are working to reduce our numbers. I will be more conscientious with including BYOBBs by shopping for them, batch cooking, and having them readily available. Is rolled barley which is similar to old fashioned oatmeal ok for a quick breakfast idea? I realize that the less processed the better, but alternatives are always good to have in our busy, demanding lives.
Do you have any suggestions for lowering A1C? My doctor isn’t concerned but I am. Why would mine be higher this year when I’ve lost weight? ( annual wellness exam). I’m not diabetic nor pre-diabetic but there is family history of type 2. What general ideas can I think about knowing that this is not a forum for medical advice?
-Team MWL, I loved your easy recipes and recipe makeovers.
-Yesterday I took my first post pandemic flight with my family to visit our family in the Southwest for 10 days. I grabbed a bag and threw in what was in my refrigerator to eat at the airport and in flight for five of us. Sound familiar? Apple apple apple and potato potato potato. :-). Raw carrots, mini peppers, snap peas all travelled well. No one was hungry, or ate CRAP at the airport. Everyone was happy eating “my” way. TSA didn’t even look twice. A water bottle with a sport pull top to put in the seat pocket and seltzer served in flight was perfect. Thank you all for sharing what has worked for you because it really helped me to succeed here too.
-If the foods I need are not here, I’ve got Instacart at my fingertips to order and deliver them and share.
-Goose, Mark, and Jeff-I read and re-read all of your posts which included links to the 10 ways to succeed in business and the star McDougaller journals. Lots of positive learning and inspiration.

Have a great week everyone. We are all. All-Stars!
Gimmelean

Postby JeffN » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:39 am

Gimmelean wrote:-Jeff, your cholesterol lowering tips especially hit home since my husband and I are working to reduce our numbers. I will be more conscientious with including BYOBBs by shopping for them, batch cooking, and having them readily available. Is rolled barley which is similar to old fashioned oatmeal ok!

You might want to read this thread on cholesterol numbers before you set such a goal. A cholesterol of 150 is not a guarantee of anything nor the most important number to go by.

https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 7&p=344300

Rolled barely is not a whole grain.

Also lets keep the focus on MWL, which will result in improved lipid (and blood sugar and A1c) numbers, without making it more restrictive

:)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:48 am

Hi Team Time & Adherence,

Hope that everyone is having a lovely weekend!! We had snow on the ground (again) this morning in Chicagoland. Some spring flowers continue to bloom - so there is that!! It has been a bit loud as our street is under construction and there is a big ditch at the end of everyone's driveway (makes it fun to carry groceries in...).

Thinking this April thread is phenomenal!!! Appreciate everyone's comments and sharing!!! We have so much to learn from each other and from Mark / Jeff / Wild Goose responses to each of us.

Did anyone else make Gimmelean Kitchari recipe? I did make it in the crockpot with carrots, mushrooms, onions --- and found it very aromatic!!! Will definitely use this template again and now own all of the required spices!!! :-D

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :) Yes. Mainly salad - a couple of times fruit. I preload B/L/D consistently. I am really loving Romaine and bulk carrots right now - can't seem to get enough of them. I also have several other veggies prepared for easy grabbing. I have fresh and frozen fruit to also incorporate easily. I bought 2 more Hami melons last week because they were so delicious!!! Also, I am trying frozen Dragonfruit from Target for the second time. I can't decide how much I like it, but it is the most beautifully colored fruit!!!

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.
Choose fruit for dessert.
:) Yes.
*Using lots of raw or roasted veggies and fresh or frozen fruit for one half of plate.
* Ate tons of potatoes for other half of plate.
* Made - Kitchari, Split pea soup, sloppy red lentils, Mexi soup, pots of rice
* Roasted shitake and portabella mushrooms a couple of times
* Roasted baby bell peppers (you do not even have to do anything but wash them and throw them on parchment paper) - thinking would be super delicious with hummus / bean dip for a MWL approved snack

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
:D Yes. I haven't eliminated, but reduced. I do use garlic salt at times on potatoes. I did use a few sprays of Bragg's - especially nice on rice & roasted mushrooms.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
YES, of course. :D

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
:D YES!!!! Good news ... the cravings / desire / thoughts to consume these have been pretty non-existent this week!!

6 Eliminate any added oil.
:D Yes!

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
:D YES!!!! Same as 5.

8 Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
:) Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
:) Yes. I didn't stuff or starve.
Thinking to myself that this is "getting in tune with your hunger drive"... :lol:

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes. :)
* 6/7 days walked outside.
* Made my steps goal because I got a bunch of steps in early in the week.
*Had a short and limpy walk on Wednesday -- wrenched up my knee somehow and maybe was ill-advised to walk, but actually it felt a bit better toward the end. Took Thursday as "rest day" without a walk because I have a healthy respect for listening to pain... :shock:
* I may need to substitute stationery bike and / or push ups and planks for the walking for next week- will see!

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
Mark THANK YOU --- 1000X for your excellent advice last week. It means the world to me and it helped so much! I have been thinking of how to reframe in my own mind --- this journey as more data-driven - implementing changes as issues arise (and observations are collected). This will also help me to get back onboard right away if any slips. I think that this is my highest area of risk and I will continue to work to avoid "value judgments" / self-recrimination, which create my own "fiery hoop" and are not helpful in getting back on track.

Everyone - We are all "Stars" in Training!!! Keep going on the path to health!!

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Reporting for April 8 Assessments is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:07 pm

The window for reporting this week's behavioral results has officially closed.

The remainder of my replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for April 8 - Part 2

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:09 pm

josietheschnauzer - Take heart, Elsa; look at the 4 behaviors you still successfully addressed, even in the midst of a "major meltdown!" In addiction treatment it is said that "relapse is part of recovery," or as Jeff wrote in his Secrets to Success:
JeffN wrote:Like in all things, there will be some setbacks on the road to health, and some difficult times ahead. This IS part of the process. Relapse/setbacks do not equal failure, they are part of the process of change (and success) that we all go through. You will also encounter some obstacles. There are not there as a sign for you to quit, but as a challenge to strengthen your commitment to reaching your goals.
Cheers to you for reporting this week, despite the impulse to hide. If you feel comfortable sharing, was this recent struggle precipitated by any particular situation or context? As you said, onward!

Noella - I'm excited to here, too!
Noella wrote:I've had a great MWL week intellectually and emotionally
To my mind, those are important measures of progress, as well; our intellectual and emotional health and energy can have a pretty powerful influence over our motivation and efforts to enact change, no? I'm sure having a great week in those respects contributed toward your excellent attention to adherence. Carry on!

Gimmelean -
Gimmelean wrote:This week I continued being consistent and applied all 10 points of the checklist.
Outstanding! That is what this is all about! :D Thank you for sharing your airport & flight experience - it does us all good to see examples of how to make this work. Knowing that successful, adherent travel is possible with some attention (and the belief that it can be done) seems like an important piece of the puzzle. Have a great week and enjoy the time with your family!

VegSeekingFit - Snow! Oh my goodness, Stephanie, stay warm, try to enjoy those resilient spring flowers, and watch out for that ditch! :lol: I agree that April has seen some amazing energy and insight here. I made Gimmelean's Kitchari, too, in my Instant Pot; I quite enjoyed it. I wish you an easy recovery from your wrenched knee. Circumventing that "fiery hoop" of self-recrimination is one of the reasons I like to focus our reporting on ASSESSMENT and not JUDGEMENT. It is important to have clarity about the status of our efforts, but that doesn't need to tell us anything about our VALUE as living beings, right? "STARS" in Training! I love it!
Mark Cooper

Re: Summary for April 8 Reports

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:40 pm

Please note - I replied to reporting participants in the two posts linked below.

Mark's Replies for April 8 - Part 1
Mark's Replies for April 8 - Part 2

Wow! What a great discussion we've been having this month! This was another really amazing week, in my opinion, and it is so thrilling to see all of you on this journey. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with the group!

Given the discussion around various biomarkers and metrics this week, I am sharing some links to some resources and past discussion related to that topic below.

From an exchange regarding "Optimum BMI?":
JeffN wrote:There are many biomarkers used to help determine/evaluate someone's health.

These include (but not limited to)

BMI,
Waist Circumference
Waist to hip ratio
Waist to height ratio
Percentage Body Fat

Total Cholesterol
LDL
HDL
LDL/HDL
Total Cholesterol/HDL
Triglycerides

Blood sugar
insulin

Etc, etc

BMI is just one marker, as are all of the rest, and no one marker alone can predict someone's health outcomes. And, they are just markers.

Or as the old saying goes, they are "fingers pointing to the moon" but not the "moon" itself.

I still think the "plate test" is the best test there is :)

This post is where I first encountered Jeff's "Plate Test":
JeffN wrote:But what is more important and what I feel to be the most important test, is what I call the "plate test." Very few people know about it yet it is one of the most effective tests and simple and easy to do and very inexpensive. You can even do it at home.

Here is how you do it.

When you sit down to eat each meal, look at your "plate" and see if it passes this "test", the "Plate Test."

Are at least 95% of the calories on your plate coming from unrefined unprocessed fruits, vegetables, starchy vegetables, intact whole grains and/or legumes? Are there at least 12-15 grams of fiber coming from whole natural foods? Does it meet my guidelines for sodium? Are any "exceptions" being kept to less than 5% of calories?

If your meal passes this "Plate Test", then I think that is the most effective test you can ever have done and the best indicator of your future health and longevity.

The discussion of Compliance on a Healthy Diet contains quite a bit of relevant information, particularly in the latter part of the discussion.

Finally, I think this post from f1jim really speaks to the challenges inherent in pursuing this particular pattern of behavior, within our prevailing societal context.
f1jim wrote:One must come to terms with the addictive nature of modern "foods" around us. Will power cannot be the only tool in our toolbox. We have to be willing to go through the transition period modern foods require. We have to be willing to go through the psychological battles with family and friends. Chumly has it absolutely perfect. If any of those pieces are not in place we will struggle mightly.
I strongly advise ignoring advice that comes from someone that has been only doing this for a short time. Don't bother with anyone that has been struggling for years and years and is still struggling. They don't have all the pieces in place. Follow those that do no matter how much others will slap you on the back and tell you you are doing great. Just as we don't want food that only satisfies for a few moments but does us harm in the long run, so too it is with dietary advice. Our nutritional gurus should always be those long term leaders like Dr. McDougall, Dr. Esselstyn, Dr. Ornish, Jeff Novick, and many others that have stood the test of time with an unbroken record of success and accomplishment. Much of the advice in our world, yes even here on these boards is highly suspect. This isn't a popularity contest. It's a longevity contest and the winners all have a handful of things in common. Learn those things and eating this way isn't a fight anymore. Anyone that says it is has a few pieces of the puzzle to still put in place.
Making this a lifestyle is our goal. Anything less is making this a lifelong struggle. Want evidence? Study those that have been journaling for years and are still struggling. The truth is if we jump ahead several years they will still be struggling. Why? Don't they want good health and weight? Sure they do. But you have to be willing to do EVERYTHING to make this a permanent lifestyle. A lifestyle that's 24/7. Its everyday of the week, not just Monday through Friday.

Most people won't do that. Most people on these forums won't do that. Only a select number of people are willing to make this their 24/7 lifestyle. Show me your cupboards and shelves. That would be good evidence of a permanent lifestyle change.
Show me where you eat out. That would be good evidence of a lifestyle change.
There is a reason Dr. McDougall lists out how to accomplish this change. Many think they have a better way. Most fool themselves. Some get away with it. Others don't. I can't. The only thing keeping me alive is this way of eating. It's much harder when you don't have that sword hanging over your head but the process is the same for all of us. Live and breath it 24/7 and you will benefit 24/7
okay, I'm down off the soapbox. Return to your regularly scheduled program.

Thanks again, everyone, for the lively discussion, and for your dedication!
Have a great week, take care, and be well! :D
Mark Cooper

Postby louie3084 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:07 am

Hi Mark and the rest of the group,

I would like to join this group. I have 3-4kg I would like to lose. I have had quite a stressful year and have found myself eating too much vegan ice cream, peanut butter, honey and not enough carbs

I've been on this site last year and note there has been a title change to the group which intrigues me. I will read the articles posture at the start of the thread.

Thanks again.
louie3084

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:08 am

Hi, louie3084! :)

Be sure to review the Orientation materials for the group; everything you need to know is included therein.

Wishing you all best!
Mark Cooper

Postby BambiS » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:22 am

4-15

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes, no issues here.enjoyed the pumpkin soup.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.yes

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes, I am going to start watching salt in canned food, which I haven’t been doing.I watched Dr McDougall’s video on blood pressure recently.

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes, not an issue here

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes, no problems

6. Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes, if I had any issues, it would be here.

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes, no problem

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself
I can do better here
Weight loss has slowed down to small amounts. I possibly need to slow down my eating so I don’t over eat? I need to wait to eat until my stomach starts growling.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes, we had quite a bit of rain. Peddled my Cubii indoors

Victories, comments, concerns, questions
I am around the halfway mark to a healthy weight!

Today is my husband’s 3rd anniversary for his liver transplant he was interviewed by our local tv station. Link below

https://www.fox19.com/2019/06/04/uc-hea ... ransplant/
BambiS

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:44 am

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES This continued to be a habit.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES I stuck with my regular frozen veggies again this week, used a bunch of bags of frozen veggies as the ice in my cooler for traveling.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO I had gelato and takeout on my trip.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES I am committed to this one so it’s easier for me.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO The takeout again.
6. Eliminate any added oil. NO Same takeout.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO Takeout
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES This was a success with traveling and all the other no’s.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES I think this was close to a no, but thankfully I didn’t feel stuffed after.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES I continued to do well and my x-ray came back good and hand is getting better.

What I realize this week is that even though I’ve read so many great tips about traveling I’m not quite prepared mentally or otherwise. I planned some, have breakfast and preload along with 50/50 plate covered, but when staying in a place with just a tiny fridge and microwave I just can’t bring enough food, especially with a family of seven. Also the room in the car is an issue. I packed a whole cooler with enough fruit, salad and frozen veggies, as well as oatmeal, but that’s all I could fit. I’m going to have to keep working on this.
Rebecka22

Postby squealcat » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:03 am

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :? I was successful for every meal but two this week
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :? I followed this on most but missed on 3 meals
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :-D
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :( I think I had a slice of cheese
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :( Peanut butter once
6. Eliminate any added oil. :( Used vegan butter on two occasions
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :( bread, crackers three times this week
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :? once this week
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :( twice I ate after I was satisfied.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :-D Walked 5 days this week

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:I used my checklist this week and it helped me to not feel entirely bad and realize that (mostly) my week went well with two or three times falling into the cram circuit. I also realize that doing this will not result in a good weight loss. The things I am happy about and consistent on are: my breakfasts are almost always just oats and berries, I have a large salad every day with a variety of greens and veggies , and a plain veg soup before dinner. I am still consistent on the exercise too. I just have not been able to get passed those crazy cravings ! I know why people say they have addiction to certain foods because the feelings I get must be similar to that craving feel that other addicts feel. I certainly don't think these feelings are as severe as cigarette or drug addicts but it is still very uncomfortable.

I will work this week on not feeding those feelings because I know that when I don't, those feelings will go away and fade out. I have done it before and I can do it again.

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Mark's Replies for April 15 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:13 pm

BambiS -
BambiS wrote:I am around the halfway mark to a healthy weight!
Congratulations to you! :D That is a significant milestone to achieve!
BambiS wrote:I am going to start watching salt in canned food, which I haven’t been doing.
The added salt in many canned foods can often exceed what Jeff recommends. That can definitely make a difference; in addition to possible effects on blood pressure, added salt has an effect on palatability (especially in concert with sugar, fat, or both) which increases consumption. Buying and preparing foods without added salt (or sugar) allows us to have greater control over their inclusion, by adding them to the surface of the food at the table, if desired.
JeffN wrote:In regard to added salt and added sugar, we recommend buying and preparing food without either and if any are to be used, to add them at the table on the surface of the food. If either one is troublesome and create uncontrollable cravings for you, then leave them out.

BambiS wrote:Weight loss has slowed down to small amounts. I possibly need to slow down my eating so I don’t over eat? I need to wait to eat until my stomach starts growling.
In my opinion, if you feel hungry, whether your stomach is "growling" or not, it is fine (indeed, recommended) to eat. Take a little time to sit down and consider what sensations tell you that you are "full" or "satisfied" vs. "stuffed" or "uncomfortable". Where in your body do you notice the difference? What does it feel like? Maybe even note these down, to make it easier to be mindful of them. More importantly, however, you might also review this article, to get a sense of how you can fine-tune your practice, with special attention paid to any "exceptions" to the recommended pattern of behavior that might be "slipping through the cracks," as with the canned goods above. Jeff's post on Fine Tuning the MWL Program and Calorie Density is great in that regard, as well.
Mark Cooper wrote:
JeffN wrote:When hungry (regardless of whether you may think it is true hunger, appetite, or something else) just eat. Eat of the recommended foods as outlined in the 10 point checklist.

Over time, it will work itself out.
It should not require Holmesian levels of attention to know when you are full. Do you feel uncomfortable? Are you stuffed? If you overshoot the mark, take note and do your best to slightly adjust next time, but don't spend energy fretting and beating yourself up over that - if you stuffed yourself on MWL suitable foods, the calorie density was low and it seems unlikely that you will be continuously stuffing yourself at each meal, each day, on an ongoing basis. Don't overvalue the importance of these episodes, or think you need to perfectly manage hunger cues, as compared to the impact from including troublesome foods in your menu or planning not to adhere on a consistent (or occasional) basis. If you are over consuming problematic foods, the problem isn't your appetite, it's the food, and you can direct your efforts accordingly.
BambiS wrote:Today is my husband’s 3rd anniversary for his liver transplant
Wow! Medical technology can be quite extraordinary! Congrats to your husband, too, on this auspicious anniversary! :D

Rebecka22 - Hang in there, treat yourself with empathy, and just keep working at it!
Rebecka22 wrote:What I realize this week is that even though I’ve read so many great tips about traveling I’m not quite prepared mentally or otherwise.
I think you have the right of it. Travel can be an immense challenge to our adherence, and managing it successfully is no easy task for one person, much less seven. :shock: Do your best, try to learn what you can from those occasions when plans go awry, and adjust for next time. If "perfection" seems completely unachievable, due to space constraints, or some other uncontrollable factor, it might be worth prioritizing the avoidance of problematic foods (those that are recommended to be eliminated) over, for example, preloading at every meal. I'm not trying to encourage you, or anyone else, to ignore a recommendation, but rather advocating that you work within the constraints of a given situation to create the best possible result. I.e., avoiding food with properties that cause passive overconsumption, even if that means sacrificing some attention to some aspects of calorie dilution. Check out Jeff's article, Hedge Your Health, for a sense of what I'm trying to get at here. Being on the road, away from one's comfortable environment is hard; however, speaking personally, after I was able to travel successfully ONCE, I never had any problems thereafter. It was like my brain suddenly was convinced that I knew what I was doing. :lol:

squealcat - Cheers for utilizing your checklist, Marilyn! I think it can be important to not lose sight of the things that we are doing right, and what is going well, even (or maybe, especially) during a tough week.
squealcat wrote:The things I am happy about and consistent on are: my breakfasts are almost always just oats and berries, I have a large salad every day with a variety of greens and veggies , and a plain veg soup before dinner. I am still consistent on the exercise too.
Those are all awesome behaviors to have habituated! Cravings can feel SO overwhelming at times, right? Something that might be helpful to consider when you are beset with a powerful craving for troublesome items - concentrate on eating an adherent food that you really love in that moment, rather than making your sole mental focus the idea of resisting the craving. Imagine you are REPLACING the initial craving (for whatever CRAP it might be), with a desire for delicious adherent food instead. Don't perseverate on the deprivation, but rather feed your hunger with the recommended foods. Even if, in the end, you still have something non adherent afterward, I would expect you'd consume much less of the calorie rich and processed stuff.
squealcat wrote:I have done it before and I can do it again.
Just so! :D
Last edited by Mark Cooper on Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Cooper

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program