The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - April 2022 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:12 pm

April 2022 RESOURCES
This section will be updated throughout the month with links to useful resources, as they are added to the thread.

Orientation Information for Time & Adherence:
The Behavioral Path to MWL Success

MWL 10-Point Checklist
MWL Program Guidelines
Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer
MWL Recipes
SNAP Meal Template
1- 28 oz Can No Salt Added Tomatoes
1- 16 oz Bag Frozen Mixed Veggies (any type)
1- 4 oz Frozen Green Leafy Vegetables (collard, turnip, mustard, etc)
1- Around 200-250 Calories of a Cooked Starch (Brown rice, Yam, Potato, WW Pasta, etc)
1- Seasoning (to your preference)

200- 250 Calories Of Starch options
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Medium Potatoes
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Cups (Cooked) Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
~ 1 to 1.25 Cups (Cooked) Brown Rice

The Road to Success: Creating Healthy Habits
The Pleasure Trap: Dr. Doug Lisle at TedxFremont
How to Lose Weight Without Losing Your Mind with Dr. Doug Lisle
Dr. Doug Lisle on The Ego Trap
Dr. Doug Lisle: The Story of Willpower – What it Is & How it Works
Dr. Lisle's Three Top Tips for Dietary Success
Jeff Novick, RD - Nutrition & Health FAQ: Answers To The Most Asked Questions
A Review of the Rules & Guidelines for Reading Labels
Passive Overconsumption: The Unintended Intake of Excess Calories
Why We Hit Plateaus and What We Can Do About Them
Top 10 Reasons for Lack of Success
Dining Out and Travel Food
Exercise, Health & You: How Much Is Enough?
Optimum BMI? / Optimal BMI - redux
Building Self-Efficacy
You Are Not Broken
wildgoose - How I determined my "goal weight"
Amy's Giant List of Links to Dr. Lisle's Lectures
Mark Cooper

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:13 pm

Welcome, everyone! Our first April check-in will be on Friday the 1st! :D
Mark Cooper

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - April 2022 Group

Postby VegSeekingFit » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:33 pm

Hi Team Time & Adherence!!

Wanted to say Thank You to Mark Cooper for these questions from end of March thread... :)

"What sorts of resources would you like to see brought into focus and shared in April? Favorite recipes? Strategies for food prep? Favorite tools? Further exploration of the fundamentals? More discussion of the social and emotional dynamics that impact our efforts? Taking a look at inspiring success stories and best practices?"

Personally, I love all of the resources that you share with the group, Mark. I always (re)-read all of the links and I think that you share a broad variety of types. Forgot to comment last month that I loved the success story you shared last month of Elizabeth TeSelle... So cool how she shows us how to do it (in a no-nonsense, all-in way) and has not always been perfect, but is able to demonstrate how we can re-embrace the principles of MWL and recover health. Really loved how she had picture of herself fitting into old big jeans!!! :D

Have a couple of questions on Jeff's Lasagna recipe (that I --- as a really remedial cook --- am interested in making)... Can someone help with this? It sounded so delicious (and inherently 50/50'd)... and I was thinking to try as part of a great recipe that I can bring to work for lunch when I am soon going to have to go partially back to the office --- also thought a great option to serve to guests!!

1) Will this recipe do ok in the freezer?? (If no, I will probably try to halve it in an 8x8 pan?)
2) Will it be ok if I use no sweet potatoes and just veggies?? (I can experiment here -- just curious if anyone knows!!)
3) Sorry dumb questions -- I have never made lasagna in my life (but I did try to Google some of the beyond dumb ?'s)!!! :oops:

If anyone is looking for McD MWL compliant recipes that are so easy, even a child could make it .... I can maybe help.. This one I am good at!!! Obviously 1st would be Jeff's SNAP that Mark posts in initial thread... I am good with the crockpot "dump" recipes -- and they work well for me... :-D

This week, I am still seeking to steer clear of off-plan 5/7 items (and so far succesfull!). Had a ridiculous type of situation with these playing with my mind a few days ago even though I am 30+ days clean of them... Was totally thinking of Elsa post several weeks ago ... "Apple, apple, apple!!" So, I tried to say - "potato, potato, potato"... and I ate a couple of slices of this (forgot to 50/50 like I intended)... Then not hungry really and the thought is still there... I said "no, no, no"... "you will not even... stop!!!"

Hope everyone is having a great week!!! Almost April!!!

Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:12 pm

VegSeekingFit wrote:Have a couple of questions on Jeff's Lasagna recipe

1) Will this recipe do ok in the freezer?? (If no, I will probably try to halve it in an 8x8 pan?)
I would think it would freeze OK, but I have only kept it in the fridge, and never frozen. Maybe someone else will be able to speak from experience with this?
VegSeekingFit wrote:2) Will it be ok if I use no sweet potatoes and just veggies?? (I can experiment here -- just curious if anyone knows!!)
The sweet potato kind of binds all the veggies together into a filling, so it would be a somewhat different dish with different texture without that. That isn't to say it wouldn't work, but it might not hold together as well.
Mark Cooper

Postby squealcat » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:22 pm

I have to say Mark, I love inspiring success stories. It would be great to have one or two "Star McDougallers " come into our group and tell their stories. I especially love to read Frozen Veg's journal and her story. (Sorry, I cannot recall her real name right now but I can look it up :oops: ) She is close to my age and her story is very close to mine except I haven't reached her success point as yet. Always love input from Wild Goose as well. She really speaks to my heart.

Eating at restaurants and sticking to the McDougall eating ways while on vacation are two of my troublesome things and then getting back to this way of eating after straying. I know this is not surprise but practical tips from others always helps. It also helps to know I am not alone in all this. I just want to make this my life and live it ! What is YOUR secret Mark?

These are my thoughts about what to discuss this month. A lot of it is what we already have talked about but these things continue to be problems with me.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby wildgoose » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:33 pm

squealcat wrote:I have to say Mark, I love inspiring success stories. It would be great to have one or two "Star McDougallers " come into our group and tell their stories. I especially love to read Frozen Veg's journal and her story. (Sorry, I cannot recall her real name right now but I can look it up :oops: ) She is close to my age and her story is very close to mine except I haven't reached her success point as yet. Always love input from Wild Goose as well. She really speaks to my heart.

Thanks for the kind words, squealcat.

FrozenVeg's name is Cloudy Rockwell. I think she chose "frozenveg" as a screen name because she lived in Alaska for quite some time. Her journal was the one that inspired me the most when I was new. I read the whole thing, straight through, and was impressed by her straightforward approach. She made the program seem possible. I recommend her video and Star McDougaller story to anyone!

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby Golightly » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:04 am

Hi everyone! I am re-joining this forum because it was so helpful to me in the past. I am looking forward to all the support once again. I have reread the orientation materials and forum rules, checklist, etc. Thanks for all your help. Since today, April 1, is my kickoff day I will start posting my 10 point checklist results next Friday. Here’s to success for us all!!
Golightly

Postby BambiS » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:02 am

4-1

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes, no issues here.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.yes did better this week

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes

6. Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes
I had a busy workweek, I usually pedal my Cubii daily. I had a couple days that I couldn’t.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions
I posted a before and now picture on Facebook McDougall Success Stories, it’s up to 500 likes. I also shared with a clothing color group of ladies all over the world, it had over 300 likes. I’m spreading the word!
Other than not getting my normal exercise this week, it was good. I tried a new McDougall stuffed pepper recipe, which was good.
I had a small loss this week.
BambiS

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:15 am

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES This continued to be a habit.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES I stuck with my regular frozen veggies again this week. Thanks for letting me know this is fine.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES No problems again this week!
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES I am committed to this one so it’s easier for me.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES No problems here this week either.
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES No eating out and nothing processed.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES Definitely had cravings this week and really it was my commitment to Lent that helped me here, but I know the more success I have the more success I will keep having so I’ll take it however I can get it.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES No big cravings here this week.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES I seemed to be a little more consistent in appetite this week.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES I continued to do well with this one although I hurt my hand playing a staff versus students flag football game and had to modify a bit the last couple days. Hopefully it’ll be okay soon.

Overall another good week. Thanks for all the advice and support. I hope everyone has a great week!
Rebecka22

Postby BambiS » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:28 am

I hope it was okay to share my success on a public forum?
BambiS

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:34 am

BambiS wrote:I hope it was okay to share my success on a public forum?

Absolutely! And congratulations for all the positive feedback you've received! :D
Mark Cooper

Postby squealcat » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:11 pm

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup: I need to make more veg soup today . Good reminder !
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsdown:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsdown:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsdown:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsdown:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsdown:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsdown:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup: despite a not so good week, I did my usual walking and stretch exercises.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:I didn't check in last week (bridal shower for my future daughter-in-law ) and I must have missed your encouraging words because I really had a pretty rough week. As I type this, I am thinking "WHY??" Well, I didn't have my MWL checklist in front of me (it was in a drawer ) and also I payed a lot of attention to social media posts (both McDougall and others ). I was trying to get ideas for meals and also just viewing other's thoughts and lifestyle ideas. I was trying to strengthen my path and instead I stepped in a ditch and fell down. :crybaby: Instead of having my sight right in front of me
I looked to the right and looked to the left and thus, that ditch that I fell into ! What I should have done was get out my MWL check list and USE it. I should have looked on the McDougall site for encouragement and recipes. And really? I mostly just eat plain food anyway that don't require a recipe. So, here I am back again ! Let's see how this week goes !

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Mark's Replies for April 1 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:35 pm

Golightly - Welcome back! I look forward to your report next Friday! :-D

BambiS - You are really demonstrating how to go about this program in a sensible, successful way: diligent, consistent attention to the recommended behaviors, and steady progress over time! :D Carry on!

Rebecka22 - Woo-hoo! Definitely another good week!
Rebecka22 wrote:I know the more success I have the more success I will keep having so I’ll take it however I can get it.
This is exactly right. Reliably achieving a goal that is reasonable and proximal builds self-efficacy. :thumbsup:

squealcat - The best thing to do after a "pretty rough week" is perform a clear-eyed self-assessment, and refocus your efforts based on what that assessment reveals. That is just what you seem to be doing, Marilyn! :) It has been my experience that social media, recipe videos, and other "lifestyle content" rarely makes adherence feel easier and more attainable; those noisy channels tend to introduce little "exceptions" and temptations, and obscure more than clarify. To me, the beauty of the MWL 10-Point Checklist is its clarity and simplicity: those ten behaviors are all we need for success. Would it help to post copies of your checklist in any location where you typically interact with food? You have clearly done really well with habituating daily exercise. What factors do you think contributed to your success in that area? Can they be applied or adapted to help with behaviors you still find challenging? Persistence goes a long way; over the long-term, simply not giving up makes success infinitely more likely.
Mark Cooper

Postby squealcat » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:06 pm

I just re-read Cloudy Rockwell's Star McDougall story. (Thank you Wildgoose !). In reading it I was reminded of when I weighed 50 pounds more than I do now just how sore my feet were and how my knees would just give out when going down stairs etc. It was difficult to get up from the floor just as she said in her writing. I feel thankful that things are so much better for me now but if I lost more weight who knows ?

Mark, your suggestion to post a copy of my checklist in different areas of my house (I know just where, too !) is genius ! I am going to do that as soon as I get done typing this. I DID get that checklist out of the drawer, at least. :nod:

Also, I have to think about my walking routine and just why it has worked so well for me. I started walking steadily 5 years ago when (just like Cloudy Rockwell) I joined Weight Watchers. I liked being by myself in nature and I like the time to think. I persist despite bad weather as I belong to a fitness gym that is near me. I guess I am afraid that if I stop I will not start up again. There are so many positives to my walks. My legs are stronger, I am not out of breath, my type 2 diabetes is gone, my resting pulse is 60 instead of 80 and I am off blood pressure meds. Who knows just how many benefits I will see when I get the rest of this extra weight off?? I have to think about this some more and stop here. Don't want to bore anyone.

OK! off to get some tape and put up those checklists !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby wildgoose » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:38 pm

squealcat wrote: I was trying to get ideas for meals and also just viewing other's thoughts and lifestyle ideas. I was trying to strengthen my path and instead I stepped in a ditch and fell down. :crybaby: Instead of having my sight right in front of me
I looked to the right and looked to the left and thus, that ditch that I fell into ! What I should have done was get out my MWL check list and USE it. I should have looked on the McDougall site for encouragement and recipes. And really? I mostly just eat plain food anyway that don't require a recipe.

You’ve got this, Marilyn! I know you know what to do, and you’ll have probably already done it by now.

Mark gave you some great comments. But your post got me thinking....

Recipe-chasing has been the downfall of many a McDougaller. People get bored and are looking for variety. Or they want to "spice up" their menu a little (which often means they want to push the envelope of the program and see how close to the edge they can live without falling off a cliff). Or they’re curious about what others in the plant-based community are doing. Or they’re like you, wanting to strengthen their program by having a larger arsenal of food choices, when they had the answer right in front of them all along.

I tend to look at some of the suggestions of Dr. Doug Lisle, Dr. John and Mary McDougall, and Jeff Novick when it comes to recipes.
  • Get really good at preparing a few dishes (how many? — however many you need to keep boredom at bay), so that good, tasty food becomes automatic. Don’t worry about having a huge list of dishes. Think of how many different dishes you prepared before you started eating this way. I’d bet it wasn’t a large number. Most people make a limited number of meals that they enjoy, over and over, from month to month.
  • Use techniques, not recipes. For example, I know how to make a Jeff Novick burger. I can make dozens of different kinds of burgers, just by switching ingredients or spices, no "recipe" required. I can make "meat" loaf or "meat" balls, out of the same technique I use to make burgers (or I can use crumbled burgers in marinara).
  • Batch cook, cook in large quantities, and freeze food in manageable portions. You can rotate through your freezer, avoid boredom, and make meal preparation easier while you’re at it.
  • Realize also that too much variety is not the best idea when it comes to weight loss. Remember Mary"s Mini? It’s based on one starch. Granted, you don’t live on a Mary's Mini diet for long, but the principle is still there. Less variety, less of a tendency to overeat.
You said yourself that you eat plain food. So do I. Use that as your base and see what you can invent. Forget chasing recipes.

Now about that ditch you fell into. It’s very shallow. More like a furrow or a gully at the side of the narrow path you've been walking. Very easy to step out of, and back onto the path. As long as you don’t stay in the ditch too long, it won’t get any deeper and it’s a simple step back up. I like Mark's idea to post the checklist wherever you typically "interact with food." (I like the phrase "interact with food" too.) The checklist will get you back on track fast. So yes, go get that tape and put that checklist where you'll see it often!

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program