The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - December 2022 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Summary for December 9 Reports

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:31 pm

Huzzah! We are well into December now, right? Holiday obstacles abound, but I'm delighted and impressed with the efforts displayed in negotiating and circumventing those hazards. :nod: Maintaining relationships and socialization is something I think we all value, and with time, effort and experimentation we can reach a state that allows us to fortify those connections without sacrificing our attendant health goals. Perseverant practice leads to improvement, and small failures, assessed thoughtfully, can herald future success.

For some inspiration, why not check out some of Jeff's favorite threads?

If the holiday season, or related travel has you considering reaching for over-priced ready-made "bowls", check out Jeff's easy and affordable alternative.

Best wishes for a fabulous, success-filled week to come!
Take care & be well. :D
Mark Cooper

Re: Mark's Replies for December 9

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:38 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:
VegSeekingFit - It sounds like you're becoming a real pro at navigating these holiday events successfully! :thumbsup:
VegSeekingFit wrote:not sure if anyone has experienced what I mention on 9 with volume of food eaten not consistent day to day?
For the most part, I'm pretty consistent, but I do experience what you are describing from time to time. It seems to me that the processes of consuming, digesting, and absorbing food, as well as expending energy in various ways (some of which are not always apparent) is complicated enough that it would be hard to nail down a reason for these variations outside of a laboratory. If I had to guess, it is most likely minor variations in overall average calorie density and energy expenditure that gradually accrue to the point where one's hunger drive kicks in to maintain equilibrium. To me, this makes a certain amount of sense because those of us diligently practicing MWL in maintenance are almost inevitably "coasting" very close to a calorie deficit, so it wouldn't be too hard to visualize a few "dips" in average calorie density resulting in some corrective "surges" in appetite. But again, that is just my guess. :| :D

Hey Mark,
Also, Hi Team T&A!!

Thanks a ton for this -- not "glad" that you have experienced it at all --- but glad to not be the only person...

Pretty unlikely that I would be going to a lab!!! :lol: They'd have to lock me in for awhile as this occurs for me maybe 1-2 times per month and always seems crazy-pants to me... :) Your explanation --- guess or not --- is logical and plausible --- so helps to ease my mind. I had only a Sci-Fi thought... Like the Starch-monster lived in my gut and came out once or twice a month to be fed a ton!!! :lol: (totally kidding...)

For holiday event navigation, I am just trying to plan and visualize (i.e., have not achieved success). Will report back results!!! Feel good about it... but, sometimes things disrupt the best plans. Think will be overall fine!!!

Wanted to also add (for what it's worth), to discussing one's own diet with folks... I have maybe done the "brunt" of it in prior years --- having eliminated meat, dairy, oils (except -- boo, I did eat some crap... and calorie dense stuff) back in 2003... I also put "onus" on my own health / not judging anyone --- told people (who asked) that I had an autoimmune condition as a child (JRA) and when I found it manifesting as an adult, needed to eliminate certain foods. Mostly people didn't go further with that explanation ... AND ... going to MWL Checklist --- most folks don't know the difference!!! So, I am 80% good with explaining myself!!! I do find that it is helpful to remain consistent in what I do around folks ...

Loved this bowls thread!!! I had a time-crunch earlier this year and did something similar --- but maybe more of a conglomeration of prepped starches and fresh / frozen fruit and veggies. Anyway, this concept is awesome and easy!!! Loved to use either NSA salsa --- or home prepped (quick) salsa for Mexican flavor or add a bit of fruit (pineapple anyone?) and a little touch of low-sodium tamari for Oriental flavor. Also, works for a salad!!! This concept "saved me" in a crunch!!! :D

Cheers to all!
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - December 2022 Group

Postby nessa72 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:30 pm

Hi there I'm brand new here, just getting started on the Starch Solution (Day 3 for me). Can I just jump in to this discussion, or do I need to sign up with the group somewhere?
nessa72

Postby JeffN » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:42 pm

Welcome!

This post will describe the genesis of the groups current format
https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 11&t=62074

This post is the orientation information for the group. Read it over carefully including the instructions for joining.
https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 11&t=61210

This is the opening thread for each month which will let you see the current group in action
https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 11&t=62340

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby BambiS » Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:55 am

12-16

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Some days

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert
Yes

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes, not an issue here

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes, no problems

6. Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
Yes

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself
Yes

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes

Victories, comments, concerns, questions good week, nothing eventful. I am enjoying walking inside the office during my breaks. I listened to some of Chef AJ live shows which were motivating.
BambiS

Postby Ejg » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:59 am

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. mostly not, I got very sick this week and skipped salad
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. yes, since i didn't eat salad I set a goal of eating an entire head of steamed cauliflower every day, which I achieved
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). yes
6. Eliminate any added oil. yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. yes
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. yes although there were a few days this week when I felt awful and had little appetite.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). mostly not, my foot started to feel better and I ran and lifted weights last saturday and sunday, then got sick Monday and laid around for the rest of the week

The above pretty much covers it, I didn't have it in me to make salad this week but was pretty diligent about the rest of it. Feeling better every day and I expect by the end of this weekend I'll be back at full speed (famous last words).
Not much else to say. Seems that sometimes integrating these guidelines into life is totally easy, other times it takes more effort and you stumble. Fall seven times, get up eight. Week over week change: -1, cumulative change: -8
Though it feels malevolent, resistance operates with the indifference of rain and transits the heavens by the same laws as the stars. When we marshal our forces to combat resistance, we must remember this.
Ejg

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:07 am

Hi to all fellow Team Time & Adherence peeps, :) :-D :D

Hope everyone had a great week! Following is my week in review – mostly feeling excellent about things and looking forward to seeing folks over the holidays --- it’s been too long!

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
No; maintaining. Ready to do when needed!

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
YES. Mega-potatoes with various veggies and fruits. Still loving the oven fries and also roasting fingerling potatoes. Nuking other potatoes --- all kinds --- Russet, Red, Yukon Gold. So, not sure if anyone else has seen very few Yukon Golds in the stores? This was a big BOO for me this week!!! When I find them, I am going to buy every bag that I can get my paws on!!! Still eating oatmeal or other whole grain cereal with frozen fruit (and sometimes banana) each morning. Made Mary McD slow cooked Chipotle Bean soup (recipe on this website here https://www.drmcdougall.com/recipes/slo ... n-soup/--- was delicious – modified a bit (using JeffN SNAP idea on using one spice mix / Mexican spice in this case, also added carrots and corn…) OMG, if you are feeling deprived… get some mangoes!!! Will be making some different stuff the next couple of weeks as my son is home for the holidays and enjoys eating the MWL recipes too!!!

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes. Reduced, not eliminated. Mostly, I only salt potato fries. I am ok to add sugar (per guidelines), but usually forget to do so. Maybe a couple of times a week I will either use BBQ sauce to dip fries (in lieu of the salt) or add a bit of the California Balsamic vinegar to a rice or salad dish.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes.

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes.

6 Eliminate any added oil.
Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit).
Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes –no starving or stuffing. Eating recommended food, recommended fashion when hungry and trying to not over-think this.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes. Walked briskly 6/7 days outside – love walking outside, and this is sustainable for me (and consistent under most weather). Has warmed up a bit here for part of the week --- crazy weather. Some walks with umbrella!! Still gently consistently doing a few body-weight exercises. This is not as natural to me as simply walking (but I am trying to add to my routine) …

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

Thank you again for your feedback last week, Mark! Much appreciated!

Hope that everyone has a fantastic and festive upcoming week!!!

Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:08 am

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO
6. Eliminate any added oil. NO
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). NO
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

I struggled this week. First I did not survive holiday parties. I planned but I ended up still eating the vegan sweets. Then I definitely stress ate this week. We had a drive by shooting during school then a threat the next day that closed us down. As teachers we were given very little information and I definitely let the stress get to me. I did get it together and go for a run and thankfully no one was hurt. My one success was that I didn’t just let it go rather I had a few bad choices but each time I got back on track. Have a great week everyone.
Rebecka22

Postby Hjklost55 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:32 pm

Week ending December 16

Hello Everyone, and Happy Holidays!!!

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES, I am still enjoying my pre-load soup.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES, I am being more deliberate on my plate. Instead of eating my potatoes first, then putting some vegetables on the plate, I have been making it together and paying more attention to it. Seems to be helping. Just being more AWARE…. Of the amounts.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO, I ate a McDougall apple dessert this week that had a bunch of maple syrup in it. Couldn’t believe how sweet it was. WAY TOO SWEET!!!!

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES, no problem adhering to this one!!

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES

6. Eliminate any added oil. YES

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES I feel like I’m doing a little better in this area. This is my biggest challenge. I have been doing the method referred to in #2 and still setting my timer for 15 minutes after I eat my first plate before I get anymore. This helps a lot!!!

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES, still playing pickleball 2-3 hours 5 days a week. It is kinda addictive. Haha Have been averaging over 10,000 steps a day. I want to work in some strength training after the holidays.

Victories: I went to a holiday brunch/cookie exchange. (That is where the apple crunch with maple syrup was) I ate before I went, nibbled on some fruit while there, and walked out without ANY COOKIES!! (Or bites of cookies) I didn’t take any to start with, so made it easier to not take any home either. PLAN, PLAN, PLAN
Comments: I have a couple more holiday parties this week, so again, my strategy is to PLAN, PLAN. I am feeling pretty good right now, and don’t want to lose the momentum.
Concerns: Staying the course
Questions: None right now.

I am enjoying reading all the links and posts from this group. It has definitely pointed me in the right direction for better health, and long term sustainability!!! Thanks to everyone for your involvement and input.

Take Care,
Holly
Hjklost55

Postby Greens » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:39 am

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. Yes

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes to reduced.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Had one Russian tea cake served at birthday dinner for me.

6) Eliminate any added oil. Same as 5

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Had a whole wheat roll at restaurant for birthday dinner with pasta fagioli soup.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Had 2 glasses of wine with restaurant meal.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 6/7. Using stationary bike for bad weather days.

Overall the week went pretty well. I’ve been keeping a food diary to avoid “eating amnesia” and made stickers for the bottom of each page with the 10 guidelines abbreviated. It has been helpful to check off what targets I’m hitting and circling areas that didn’t align. Packed salad dressing and rice for restaurant thinking they may serve me a salad, my husband and a friend worked with the owner ahead of time to get a meal they felt I would enjoy===no animals, no oil. Very sweet of them. I haven’t done MWL long enough for them to see the other refinements but enjoyed the live music, the festive atmosphere, the friends and family. I was actually dreading going but glad I did and appreciated the efforts made.

Mark, thank you for the comment on relationships and perseverance. Stephanie, the chipotle bean soup recipe looks great, especially with the cold weather. Rebecka, admire how you handled the stressful event. Holly, great control at cookie exchange.

Marilyn
Greens

Postby Noella » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:59 pm

Hi Mark and Team MWL,
So much can change in just a week. Last week I saw a physiotherapist for knee pain. I was fine-tuning my maximum weight loss experience, trying to get my health from great to optimal by doing strategic exercises. But my focus now is changed. The excellent strides I was making with my health are being challenged to the maximum for near the end of my wonderful visit with my daughter and her family in Ottawa, I took a slip on some ice hidden under a dusting of fresh snow, and I fractured my ulna and radius bone and other bones in my wrist. I had the fracture temporarily splinted at a quaint village hospital in rural Quebec, then a reduction and cast put on at Ottawa hospital. I'm back home in BC, and the flight was like torture, and the pain continues to be beyond anything I have ever experienced. I'm eating healthy and following the doctor's orders carefully. Most of all, I'm trying my darndest not to let a heaviness of heart fall upon me. I'm trying not to be caught in self-pity, sadness, melancholy, or glumness. So that's my challenge today - trying to stay positive! I want to think of all I can do rather than regret everything I can't.
1. Start each meal with soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :roll: trying but not as easy this week as now my husband is doing all of the meals, and he has his limits. he made me steamed kale and brown rice for lunch; no salad. I give thanks for all he does for me and try not to complain that it doesn't have soup, salad or fruit to start.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals. :-D Yes... mostly...trying
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can stop them. :-D
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :-D Yes
5. Eliminate all higher-fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :roll: Yes...I can usually do this. Tricky this week...
6. Eliminate any added oil. :-D Yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods, including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :D Yes...I say, "No, thank you."
8. Don’t drink calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :-D Yes
9. Follow these principles, eat whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself, and don't stuff yourself. :-D
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :eek: This will be a challenge!

Inspirational Quote : “Laughter truly is medicine. Though this won’t fix everything, finding ways to smile and laugh more will change your body’s chemistry in many positive ways. This is not just a distraction: it is an effective way to find some respite from your pain. It’s okay to have fun when you’re in pain. Smiling and laughing may be difficult, but it’s both okay and possible. Keep trying!” From Dr. Neil Pearson, a specialist in pain management."
Last edited by Noella on Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Noella

Reporting for December 16 Assessments is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:00 pm

The window for reporting this week's behavioral results has officially closed.

My replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for December 16

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:26 pm

BambiS - Cheers to a good week! Getting in some activity by walking around the office during breaks seems like a great idea. Thank you for sharing!

Ejg - Sorry you've been feeling so ill this week, Eric; that is never a fun time. :) Despite feeling sick, you made another big step toward closer adherence to the recommendation - kudos to you!
Ejg wrote:Fall seven times, get up eight.
Just so. :nod: Wishing you a quick and easy recovery!

VegSeekingFit - Mostly feeling excellent about things seems like a pretty nice way to be feeling, Stephanie! :D Thanks for sharing the bean soup recipe. I haven't tried that one, but it looks good! I may have to try making it SNAP-style myself. Yukon golds have been abundant in stores around here, but my beloved Cuban sweet potatoes haven't been available for several weeks. :? There seem to be many weird regional shortages happening at present. Have a great week and keep your good groove going!

Rebecka22 - I'm so sorry you were confronted with such an alarming situation this week; I can hardly imagine how harrowing and stressful that must have felt. Being able to acknowledge that sometimes we will struggle and make choices that seem incongruent with our goals, not letting that be a reason to give up, but rather deciding to get right back on track: that all seems like really important and valuable progress to me. In regard to the holiday parties, do you feel like there was some specific way in which your planning broke down? Would you do anything differently next time? Have a great week!

Hjklost55 - WOW! Big congratulations to you! Attending the cookie exchange, sticking to your plan, and walking out "cookie-free" - that is a laudable achievement. :thumbsup: Isn't it interesting how much our sensitivity to various tastes and flavors can change as we alter our prevailing pattern of behavior? Keep planning and continue to stay the course; you are doing great!

Greens - I'm so happy to know that you were able to enjoy socializing and celebrating on your birthday, Marilyn! A very thoughtful gesture from your husband and friend, indeed. Those guideline stickers sound like an awesome tool - great idea! Onward!

Noella - Oh my goodness! Sometimes life really turns and gives us a smack, right? I'm so sorry for the pain you are experiencing. My thoughts and well-wishes are with you. Your commitment to eating in a health-promoting fashion is especially impressive given the difficult circumstances. Thumbs-up to your husband for supporting your efforts in the ways he feels able. May the days ahead be more comfortable and filled with healing. :)
Mark Cooper

Summary for December 16 Reports

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:47 pm

December is more than half over! This time of year is always filled with seasonal and holiday-related challenges, and it seems like this week many have been facing additional stresses, with emergencies, illnesses and calamities springing up to make things even more demanding. I wish you all the very best. I'm so impressed with all the efforts you are applying to make your way along this difficult path with determination, grace, and compassion. Hooray for you!

Here is a post from earlier this week I found interesting: from one of Jeff's threads discussing salt, we have more evidence to support the wisdom of reducing dietary sodium intake.
Clinical Perspective
What Is New?
• A comprehensive dose–response meta-analysis of trials detailing the effects of changes in dietary sodium on blood pressure (BP), using the most up- to-date statistical dose–response modeling, shows that the relationship is positive, and almost but not entirely linear.

• The sodium change–BP relationship was present in analyses of long-term trials, although slightly atten- uated compared with the corresponding finding in short-term studies, and was noted in both analy- ses based on differences in sodium intake between study arms and achieved sodium intake.

• Higher background sodium consumption and BP increase strength and steepness of the effects on BP by changes in sodium intake.

What Are the Clinical Implications?
• The clinical implications of a substantially linear positive relationship between sodium intake and BP even in the long-term trials are that a progres- sively large reduction in BP can be expected with decreases in sodium consumption down to lev- els as low as 1 to 1.5 g/d, with no evidence for a threshold in benefit.

• Advice to reduce dietary sodium intake applies not only to adults with hypertension, who can be expected to derive a substantial reduction in BP, but also to those without hypertension, in whom the expected reduction in BP is smaller but still important.

Happy Holidays, everyone! May your week be filled with joy, comfort, inspiration and success! Take care and be well! :D
Mark Cooper

Postby Gimmelean » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:16 pm

Hello MWL Time and Adherence Community-
I missed todays deadline for the first time in over a year and of all weeks not to check in with a proper checklist. I hope everyone is doing well. I wish I could hide from all of the holiday cookies and junk and haven’t done a spectacular job of avoiding them. I still have my MWL staples and prepped foods so despite the lapses, it’s vital to me to not let go completely as I used to do so that it’s easier to spring back. Many of us experience fear of failure. I believe I had a fear of success that held me back for a long time.

Mark, you asked about the sit stand desk I’ve used at work. I’ve had a few different kinds . Most recently I had a manual riser that sat on the desktop that my dual monitors were attached to and it was very easy to use and adjust. It was just replaced with an electric one, but the monitors are too high for sitting and will have to be fixed. I’ve also had one where the entire desktop slid up and down and that was the type I liked the least because it was heavy and cumbersome to adjust . What’s most important is the right ergonomic fit both sitting and standing. Lots of details to prevent repetitive stress injuries including eye level of the monitors, and the position of the keyboard and mouse. I hope this helps. Please let me now if you have questions.

I hope everyone has a good week ahead.
Gimmelean

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program