vegan before MWL?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

vegan before MWL?

Postby Kai » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:08 pm

I'm quite curious to hear the experience of anybody who has transitioned to the MWL program from a vegan diet.
What was your diet like before?
How much weight did you lose and at what rate?
Thanks,
Kai
Kai

Postby Carol » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:32 am

That would be me! I did the regular plan for 14 months and then switched to MWL, where I am now and have been for more than 6 months. I experienced as much weight losss in a couple of months of MWL as I did over the 14 months. But then again, I'm not your average bear in that department (VERY slow looser). From a health perspective, I believe it's healthier and I feel better. Eliminating processed foods, higher fat/density foods and soy and replacing them with healthier choices is not a bad thing.

We all loose weight differently, so I would not use that as your only gauge.
Carol

was a vegan/vegetarian

Postby MadcityVegan » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:55 pm

HELLO! I was eating a vegan diet before Mcdougalling. I was continually gaining weight. My typical dinner was a stir fry cooked in oil, heavy on tofu. Fried potatoes, mushrooms or onion rings. Also a lot of sandwiches like hummus and avacado. Also on occasion I would eat a loaf of sourdough bread. In general everything was cooked in oil or from a restaurant. Once I had gained 20lbs I searched for a vegan weightloss plan and found John Mcdougall. I didn't think I could do it, give up oil I mean. But it is easy when you start loosing weight. My skin and hair are a lot nicer without oil. In just 2 days of avoiding added fat/oils I feel and look better/thinner/healthier. The 1st attempt at MWL I lost 2.68lbs per week on average. I gave up, and gained all the weight back eating my old vegan diet again. I officially started MWL yesterday again and am so excited to be in control again.
MadcityVegan

Postby LauraA » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:44 pm

I was a vegan for about 12 years - I started out to lose weight, and read McDougall and other books. I lost maybe 20 pounds, then switched to regular fat in vegan diet. I gained and lost through the years. For a couple of years I added fish and dairy - I have no clue why. Then I tried South Beach, Weight Watchers, etc. I'm now seriously on McDougall, and started just over two weeks ago. I plan to stick with it this time - MWL until I've lost about 75 pounds, then regular. Take care, LauraA
LauraA

Postby Kai » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback.
All of that was exactly what I wanted to know. I realize that MWL is a huge change from SAD and that in intself ought to cause weightloss but I'm not sure if it's enough of a departure from a relatively healthy vegan diet. I guess we'll see!
Kai

I almost fit

Postby Paulb » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:41 pm

I have been Vegan for 3 years, mostly healthy Vegan food not Vegan junk food. I became Vegan for health reasons and didn't find McDougal till just recently so I haven't started MWL or even McDougall diet yet. I have ordered 3 books online which should arrive today or Monday, I hope.

I lost 70 pounds in the first year then stabilised I'd still like to lose 20 more to get my BMI down to an acceptable level.

I'll wait till I get a chance to read more about the MWL and McDougall diets before I decide which method to use to lose those pesky last 20 pounds. :-P
Paulb

Postby kpolninja » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:45 pm

I've been vegan for almost a year before MWL. Too much olive oil, avacado, vegan cupcakes, vegan icecream :D . Basically just too much fat.

When I very first became vegan I ate too much processed foods too, but that started to slow down once I got over veggie burgers and other faux meats.
kpolninja

Postby Kai » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:05 pm

So how are you all doing now that you've had a chance to check it out?
Kai

Postby Paulb » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:06 am

Kai wrote:So how are you all doing now that you've had a chance to check it out?

I'm doing pretty well I think, I've lost 5 pounds already.

My daughter has been reading my McDougall books whenever I put them down and on the weekend she created a great meal of steamed potatoes, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, some baked squash and raw red pepper and tomatoes with a side of steamed rice. To top it off she made a fat free miso gravy with nutritional yeast.

There were enough leftovers for me to have a scrumptious lunch today. :D
Paulb

Postby Kai » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:40 pm

Wow! 5 pounds in such a short amount of time is great!
I've been McDougalling since Sept 9 and I've only lost 6. Men have an easier time of it though, I guess. I'm happy with my weightloss regardless as I'm nursing my 3 month old and too much calorie restriction is not good for that.
I'd love the recipe for the miso gravy. I'm addicted to gravy these days Isn't it wonderful to have a free pass on potatoes?
Kai

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program