Not soy milk

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Not soy milk

Postby Dangling Carrots » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:14 pm

I'm taking a serious look at starting eating MWL-style but have questions first.

Soy milk - this is restricted on MWL. What do you use otherwise? I've looked at all the rice milk at my grocery stores in the area and they all contain oil (soymilk doesn't). So, I'm at a loss of what to use on my oatmeal in the morning. I don't use much, maybe 1/4 cup at most and I only have it with oatmeal ... don't drink glasses of the stuff or anything.
Dangling Carrots

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:53 pm

Some people make their own rice milk without oil. You cook some cream of rice cereal, dilute it with water and process it in the blender. It's not too bad.

Some of us just use a little soy milk anyway.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby MadcityVegan » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:14 pm

To name a substitue...my question is what is it going in?

For cereal or oatmeal I wet with water. Occasionally I buy Fat Free Vanila soymilk.
MadcityVegan

Soymilk in Oatmeal

Postby Dangling Carrots » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:06 am

I've tried fruit juices, water and green tea as a wetting agent for my oatmeal but it just doesn't do it for me. As I said, I only use about 1/4 cup on my morning oatmeal and don't use it for anything else. I'm thinking this might be a slight thing not to worry about because my use is so low. Trying hard to quell the perfectionist in me. :evil:
Dangling Carrots

West Soy fat free / low fat

Postby kpolninja » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:46 am

WestSoy makes a low fat soy milk. I think they might have one at trader joes as well that is fat free.
kpolninja

Postby Carol » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:52 am

Next time you cook up your brown rice, use some to make your own rice milk. It's so simple and cheap I can't believe I used to buy soy milk. One part rice to four parts water, blend (for 5 or more minutes until the mixture gets white and creamy). You can strain it further or not, add a bit of sweetener or not or vanilla....or not.

I always have some on hand for making smashed taters.
Carol

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:02 am

I don't have my book right here, but if memory serves me there is instructions in the first recipe section on making rice milk. But like many I use water in my oatmeal and can't even tell. Really it makes the oats seem more natural and oaty. I put frozen unsweeted blueberries in too and yum.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

THANKS!

Postby Dangling Carrots » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:14 am

These are EXCELLENT suggestions. Thank all of you so much! Tonight is brown rice/veggie night, so I'll make a little extra and make some milk. I do have the first books of McDougall, so I'll pull those out of the moving boxes and see about the other milks.

Again, THANK YOU!!! :D
Dangling Carrots

Postby hellostephanie » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:49 am

I used unsweetened Almond Breeze. It only has 40 calories per cup.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wHM2Z1V/]
[/url]
hellostephanie

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program