Crunchy Salty?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Crunchy Salty?

Postby kpolninja » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:33 pm

I crave crunchy salty foods (chips, pretzles, etc)...and MWL ilegal deas?
kpolninja

Postby chewy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:46 pm

air popped popcorn ,real foods brand corn thins, brown rice cakes!
chewy

Postby dlb » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:15 pm

Make yourself some legal potato chips :-D

This thread has some other good ideas.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8689

Donna
dlb

Postby chewy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:06 pm

raw vegetables (carrots,celery,cucumber,zucchini slices) dipped in salsa or mashed frozen green pea and garlic dip.just puree frozen peas and garlic in a blender-makes a delicious spread!!
chewy

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:59 am

I have my dehydrated squash chips. If you have a dehydrater try them. You also can make your own corn chips like the potato chips with legal corn tortillas.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby kpolninja » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:08 pm

These are good ideas, no dehydrator though :(

How to I make potato chips?

I will check out the thread, thanks everybody!
kpolninja

Postby proverbs31woman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:37 pm

Faith in DC wrote:I have my dehydrated squash chips. If you have a dehydrater try them. You also can make your own corn chips like the potato chips with legal corn tortillas.

Squash chips sound so good! I love squash.
proverbs31woman

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:43 am

I was so surprised how tasty they are. Great way to use massive squash too. I froze some for winter soups. but some I seasoned for snacking. I have garlic salt on my zukes one, and a vegetable grill mixed seasoning on my yellow.
Faith
Faith in DC

Postby kpolninja » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:25 pm

OMG I made potato chips last night, they were unbeliveable!

I think I'll put more salt on them next time (my blood pressure is really low so I'm not super concerned about salt).

Thanks for all the ideas! :D
kpolninja

Postby chewy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:28 pm

baked chickpeas =YUM! spread a can of eden chickpeas on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 350 for 45minutes to an hour.shake them up periodically.you may sprinkle them with any herb combination you like.tasty crunchy addition to a salad!
chewy

Postby slugmom » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:07 am

Faith, how do you make your squash chips? You said a dehydrator, do you think the microwave potato chip method would work? What kind of squash do you use? Are they very *squashy* in flavor? i.e. if someone isn't a fan of eating big mounds of squash, do you think the chips are still worth a try? They're 'summer' squash varieties? And tell me more about your spice mixes. :)
- Kim

slugmom

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:35 am

No the chip maker would cook them. These are perfect for folks not into squash. Though I thought they were a bit sweet, like anything, when you dehydrate the natural sweetness really comes through. Think of grape vs raisin. That is why I seasoned some for snacking. They will rehydrate too for soups. You can use a oven at super low temps, I know that. I have a dehydrator. I was getting sick of my zucchini and yellow squash. I froze a bunch, tried to give away some, but it got to the point that folks started to run from when they saw me coming. Oh no it's the squash lady!!!

That is when I decided to dehydrate. I processed a lot of squash and it's taking up so little room. Cut in normal rounds and season and go until really crispy. Mine took a day and half. If you cut too thin they stick. One could really get creative on the spices.
Faith
Faith in DC

Postby slugmom » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:38 am

Hey, you CAN make them with the microwave method. I sliced them in the food processor, then laid them between paper towels to dry a bit, then put them on a nonstick liner .... They did go through a very steamy cooking stage, I opened the microwave and wiped down the moisture and let it cool and air off once or twice ...

near the end I think they needed a little more babysitting than the potato ones, because they would get hot and want to burn, but not crisp up yet ... but in the end they did crisp up as they cooled ...

they still tasted zucchini squashy to me, though. but my kids actually said they liked them, so maybe I'll try them again sometime ...
- Kim

slugmom

Postby Autumn » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:28 pm

I like the chickpeas as chewy mentioned once in a while and I like popcorn on occasion with pure maple syrup drizzled on it.
Autumn

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program