I've lost 10 lbs.

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

I've lost 10 lbs.

Postby Dale Jackson » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:16 am

I have been McDougalling for one month today and have lost 10 lbs. It is a struggle for me--not because I don't like the food, but because my husband who still eats the SAD always wants to go out to eat at burger joints and Dunkin Donuts. I also have hypothyroidism which makes losing weight harder. So 10 lbs. for me is an achievement. I hope that despite my mistakes and missteps I can continue to lose. I need to lose about 90 more lbs. But I'm not going to give up! :-D
Dale Jackson

Postby kimba » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:05 am

Way to go. Keep up the fantastic work.

kimba
kimba

Postby CraftyeLadye » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:23 am

Congratulations Dale,

Keep it up you will lose it. Every body is different. Are you able to exercise much? I have not exercised as much as I should but am still losing pretty well not as fast as the beginning, but still going. How do you feel?
Lisa
CraftyeLadye

Postby Dale Jackson » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:29 am

kimba wrote:Way to go. Keep up the fantastic work.

kimba

Thanks for the encouragment. :)
Dale Jackson

Postby Dale Jackson » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:32 am

CraftyeLadye wrote:Congratulations Dale,

Keep it up you will lose it. Every body is different. Are you able to exercise much? I have not exercised as much as I should but am still losing pretty well not as fast as the beginning, but still going. How do you feel?

Thank you.

I take care of my 15 mo. old grandson full-time. I take him on a 1 mile stroll around our neighborhood almost every day for exercise. I am feeling better than before. My leg pains are gone and I can climb the stairs easier. I am really "sold" on this way of eating and hopefully my husband will eventually come along too. He needs to lose weight as much as I do.
Dale Jackson

Postby slugmom » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:07 am

Great work! It sounds like you're really doing well. Keep up the good work!
- Kim

slugmom

Way to go!!!

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:11 am

Fantastic!

I understand how hard it is to keep to the program when your husband eats SAD and wants to eat out. Keep in mind that your weight and your health are YOUR busininess and his eating habits are HIS business. Let him go where he wants and eat what he pleases. Do not comment. Do not sulk.

Cheerfully decline all invitations to places where you can't eat comfortably or participate without partaking. As those around you see the results, they may become more supportive--or not. But YOU will look and feel great.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:16 am

Good advice Vanilla. You need to think health Dale. If your hubby wants to dig his grave with a fork and spoon, it's his business. I tried to change my bf, and look what happened to him. He died a massive heartattck. Just dropped dead at 56.

Ten pounds is excellent. That is 2 1/2 a week. That's a big deal.

Now remember you have controll over your body. nobody else does.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Pat » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:38 am

Fantastic, Dale. I'm sure your husband will become more supportive as time goes on and he sees the results. Although my husband adds his meat and olive oil, he still supports me. He's especially sensitive about going to restaurants if they can't provide what I want. I have to say, however, that 6 months ago when I started this plan, he wasn't supportive at all! He sees my results now and knows how important this is to me.
Pat

Postby TwinB » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:38 am

Geez that's terrific Dale. You're an inspiration for me to continue plodding along.
TwinB

Re: Way to go!!!

Postby Dale Jackson » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:06 pm

Vanilla Orchid wrote:Fantastic!

I understand how hard it is to keep to the program when your husband eats SAD and wants to eat out. Keep in mind that your weight and your health are YOUR busininess and his eating habits are HIS business. Let him go where he wants and eat what he pleases. Do not comment. Do not sulk.

Cheerfully decline all invitations to places where you can't eat comfortably or participate without partaking. As those around you see the results, they may become more supportive--or not. But YOU will look and feel great.

The main problem I have is that he wants to stop for burgers when we are out shopping together or after we go to the library on Saturdays. I can't stay home when I am already out in the car with him. I try to get him to stop at places where there is something I can eat, like Burger King that has a veggie burger or somewhere where they serve baked potatoes or salad. It works about half the time. I haven't caved in and eaten a regular hamburger yet! One place I do like is called Skyline Chili. They have a lot of good salads and baked potatoes as well as a vegetarian rice and beans dish I like.
Dale Jackson

Postby Carol » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:09 pm

I would also like to extend a congratulations. Ten pounds is alot of weight....try picking up a ten-pound dumbell. It's heavy! Regardless of your current obstacles, it appears that you have found ways around them.

Great results. Just goes to show you, CHANGE means CHANGE. :-P
Carol

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:28 am

I'm not familar with mid west or west coast burger joints, but I think all of the east coast fast foods have a salad. Now KFC yikes haven't been then in almost 15 yrs.

Only other suggestion, usually fast food places gather. If he wants one and next to it is one with a salad, compromise and you pick up a salad, and he can get his burger and eat in the car LOL. Sorry.

Just remind him, it's about health. Hopefully he wants you healthier.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Re: Way to go!!!

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:47 am

Dale Jackson wrote:
Vanilla Orchid wrote:Fantastic!

The main problem I have is that he wants to stop for burgers when we are out shopping together or after we go to the library on Saturdays. I can't stay home when I am already out in the car with him. I try to get him to stop at places where there is something I can eat, like Burger King that has a veggie burger or somewhere where they serve baked potatoes or salad. It works about half the time. I haven't caved in and eaten a regular hamburger yet! One place I do like is called Skyline Chili. They have a lot of good salads and baked potatoes as well as a vegetarian rice and beans dish I like.

Hmmm. That sound a bit like sabatoge, but, you can still take charge. I presume you have a driver's license? Since you know this is what he does, then you drive when you go out shopping or whatever, and when he wants to stop, make sure it's at a place that meets your needs. Failing that, then you need to pack an emergency food kit to take with you in the car so that you can just wait outside and snack while he finishes. If he doesn't see the error of his ways (the way he's treating you--not his own eating habits) then you may have a more serious problem to deal with.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Chumly » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:17 pm

Dale,

Congratulations on your weight loss!

As far as fast food is concerned, you can get a potato and salad at Wendy's. Moe's Southwest grill is a good place to. I often go there to get a bean burrito packed with vegetables. There are more options out there than there were 10 years ago.
Chumly

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program