Traveling

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Traveling

Postby oyvey » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:18 am

Hello All,
I will be traveling in a week or so, and I wanted to ask this
wonderful group of people for suggestion of which foods travel
well on a plane?

I will have a kitchen at the hotel, so I will be able to make potatoes
and veggies.
Thanks for all you help :)
Cyndi
oyvey

Travel Foods

Postby Mary Jo » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:06 pm

Hi Cyndi,

I am also going to be doing a lot of traveling during the next three months. I have been thinking about what to take with me on the airplane and what to pack in my suitcases.

I have lost 85 pounds since early January with McDougall eating and don't want to regain any weight.

First of all, I am going to take fruit and raw veggies on the airplane in ziplocc bags. I will also take several McDougall Soup Cups on the plane for the longer flights. I should be able to get some hot water from the flight attendants.

Once I get to my destination I will have more McDougall Soup Cups in my checked luggage as well as a big bag of Oats (I buy them at COSTCO) for making oatmeal as this is usually part of my breakfast each day. I can then get veggies and fruits in markets. I can also order baked potatoes, steamed veggies, and salads with no dressing in restaurants. I have done this locally and have no problem- a vinigarette dressing or lemon slices with a bit of salt and pepper does very nicely.

I have also told my friends of my new healthier eating so they are already on board and will be supportive of me. I have told them "IF YOU LOVE ME DON'T FEED ME!"

I am very determined to enjoy my month in Italy with my Italian friends who live there and not revert to SAD eating.

I hope this helps. Happy Traveling to you!
Mary Jo San Diego, CA
Mary Jo

Postby hayleyscomet » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:48 pm

I'm also flying next week. I have to figure out something for dinner--I used to grab something during layovers, but no way am I doing that now. (Unless there's a Wendy's in the airport, which I certainly can't count on. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a Wendy's in an airport.)

Soup cups is a good idea... my grocery store has some. I was thinking about bringing rice cakes as a snack. Hmm... I don't know what else to bring, so I'd like to hear more ideas too!
hayleyscomet

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:15 pm

Is a meal included in the flight? I usually don't even eat if it's short.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:21 pm

Bake a few potatoes or yams and bring them in zip-lok bags on the plane along with some raw non-squishy fruits and veggies. That should do you until you get to your destination. With a kitchen in your room you'll be just fine.

Have a good trip!
Vanilla Orchid

Postby hayleyscomet » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:46 pm

Faith in DC wrote:Is a meal included in the flight? I usually don't even eat if it's short.

For mine next week, meals aren't included in the flights, BUT I don't drive, so I have to take a shuttle to the airport (leaving around 2 pm), wait 2 hours before my flight, 2 hour flight, half hour layover, 2 hour flight. (I'm a student... I get the cheapest flights but they take double the time, and then some since I don't have a car!) So I will definitely need a meal. It does not necessarily have to be eaten while ON the plane, but still has to be portable and get through security.
hayleyscomet

Thanks

Postby oyvey » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:47 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I did not think of bringing a bag of oats in my checked luggage.
What a great idea! :)

The flight is from Providence, RI. to Cleveland, and then from Cleveland to LA. No food as far as I know. It is a 6hr flight with a 3hr time change.

I was thinking of bringing one of Dr.McD oatmeal cups for breakfast on the plane.

MaryJo, Enjoy your time in Italy. I have never been, but it sure sounds wonderful! I bet you will be able to get plenty of fresh veggies there!
And congrats on the 85 pound loss. What a great accomplishment.

I went to the 10-day in august and have lost almost 20lbs. I can't remember the last time I lost 5lbs! :-)

Vanilla Orchid, I think I will bake a few potatoes and bring them with me.
I have grown to love cold yukon gold potatoes as a snack, and I love your screen name!

Hayleyscomet I can't remeber any good food in an airport! But rice cakes sound like a good idea.

You are the best resource a person could ask for.
Thanks again,
Cyndi
oyvey

airport food

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:33 pm

Oy, vey! Yes, airport food is bad. But, if you are really stuck, and must buy something there, you can sometimes get a piece of fruit, or a fruit cup or perhaps a salad without the dressing. Or, if you don't mind falling off MWL for a minute, you can sometimes order a piece of pizza without the cheese. None of these are gourmet delights, and they will all be overpriced, but, at least they are food.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby petalpusher » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:02 pm

Congratulations on the weight loss, cyndi...way to go!!
cyndee
petalpusher

Postby LauraA » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:43 pm

On long car rides I've been taking cooked brown rice with a veggie sauce on top, putting it in a dish with a lid, then in an insulated bag, and eating it several hours later just sort of luke warm. It tastes fine. I make a sauce filled with lots of veggies and tomato base - it is almost like a thick soup. It used to go over pasta, but I now put it over brown rice. I also take fresh fruit and veggies. You could get some kind of salad at most airports. take care, LauraA
LauraA

Postby oyvey » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:33 pm

Thanks Cyndee!!!!!!!
How is your journey going????

Great ideas LauraA, thanks :-)

Cyndi
oyvey

Postby petalpusher » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:58 am

Cyndi!
Going great... I have lost 20 lbs since the clinic, love the food though I have to watch out about too much bread or tortillas (remember the day we got burgers with nice big buns!), I FEEL GREAT. Exercise an hour a day and have lots of energy!!
Have fun on your travels....I usually am sure to take those small packets of carrots and don't forget those Clif nectar bars. I had trouble finding them here but got a good deal on them at www.drugstore.com

Keep in touch!!
cyndee
petalpusher

Postby LauraA » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:56 pm

What are clif nectar bars? Are they McDougall friendly? Take care, Luara
LauraA

Postby petalpusher » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:14 pm

Clif bars were the only bar recommended to us by Mary McDougall at the 10 day clinic. They are primarily fruit. She did say that they should not be considered regular fare ...but a treat. I don't have any right now or I would give you the info from the label.
petalpusher

Postby LauraA » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:27 pm

petalpusher wrote:Clif bars were the only bar recommended to us by Mary McDougall at the 10 day clinic. They are primarily fruit. She did say that they should not be considered regular fare ...but a treat. I don't have any right now or I would give you the info from the label.

Thanks, is it just the one named nectar, or others also. I've actually never had a cliff bar. Laura
LauraA

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program