Sugar Question

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Sugar Question

Postby kpolninja » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:43 am

I'm a little unsure on sugar - how much is too much?

I've been failing miserably at following the mini so I decided I would just to the MWL plan and I've been good for the past few days. I discoved I really like to make oatmeal and brown rice. However....I like my brown rice with teriyaki sauce and I like my oatmeal with brown sugar and maple syrup.

I'm not using a ton of either, maybe 2-3 tablespoons of teriyaki and a teaspoon of sugar and syrup each.

Do you guys think this is too much?
kpolninja

Postby Kai » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:05 pm

I figure that if it's the only way you're going to eat those things, go ahead and do it.
I never thought I'd manage but I've cut out sugar almost entirely (no ketchup even!) except in Seasoned Rice Vinegar and one day at my husbands office I had an organic maple & brown sugar oatmeal packet. So no sugar and I'm okay without it!
I can't give any suggestions as to the oatmeal because I dislike the stuff and only ate it as a last resort (better than hitting the vending machine) but maybe try your rice with a splash of shoyu instead.
Really though, if you're losing and folloing the program other than a couple of tablespoons daily I wouldn't worry too much. Others may disagree but I think it's these little things that help you stick with it. My thing is a glass of wine in the evenings a few days a week.
Kai

Postby talkingmountain » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:11 pm

I"m not familiar with the restrictions of the "mini" or the "mwl" plans, but I have McDougall's cookbook and in it he says "a bit of sweetener may make the meal" (may not have that EXACTLY correct but that's the gist).

So if some sugar makes the food palatable, I'd say go for it, as long as you aren't having blood sugar issues. Do put it on the top rather than stirring it in -- you'll find that you get a lot more "bang for your buck" that way. Gradually cut back a bit every few days if you want to cut back even more.

Remember, a teaspoon of white sugar has only 16 calories. As long as you aren't overdoing it (and it does not sound like you are), that's a pretty reasonably way to take your breakfast from "tolerable" to "tasty"!
talkingmountain

Postby kpolninja » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:19 pm

Well, I figure brown rice with teriyaki is better than my favorite meal from this place by my work - white rice with fried tofu and a TON of sauce.

I think both of you are right. I'm just starting on this program so I guess I'll know in a couple of weeks if I need to cut back on the the sauces and syrups. I love ketchup too. :)
kpolninja

Postby cowgirrlup » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:05 pm

I never thought I could eat my oatmeal with out a sweetener, but I stopped using any sugars etc last Sunday and my oatmeal tastes great with strawberries.

It took me 3 days to get used to it, but now its fine.

You might try it with a fruit you really like.
cowgirrlup

Postby Vegeloon » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:38 pm

Kai wrote: My thing is a glass of wine in the evenings a few days a week.

Unfortunately, that is my 'thing' too. Since I am just starting today back on MWL, I am going to cut that out and see how it goes.
What would Mc Dougall do?
Vegeloon

Postby Kai » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:45 pm

Me too! Took a bit of time off but I'm on track again today for sure!
Kai

Postby DeAnn » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:07 pm

You may want to try Stevia - it's an herb that is used for sweetening and I use it on my cereal and tea in the mornings. A little goes a long way and there's no calories, carbs or fat. Plus, no sugary effects on the body.

DeAnn
DeAnn

Re: Sugar Question

Postby Letha » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:57 pm

kpolninja wrote:I'm a little unsure on sugar - how much is too much?

I've been failing miserably at following the mini so I decided I would just to the MWL plan and I've been good for the past few days. I discoved I really like to make oatmeal and brown rice. However....I like my brown rice with teriyaki sauce and I like my oatmeal with brown sugar and maple syrup.

I'm not using a ton of either, maybe 2-3 tablespoons of teriyaki and a teaspoon of sugar and syrup each.

Do you guys think this is too much?

Hi kpolninja,

No, I don’t think it’s too much.

From McDougall’s Maximum Weight Loss Plan Book, page 65:

“Here’s how to use sugar on the McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss. One teaspoon of sugar contains only sixteen calories of carbohydrate. Eliminating these few calories from your diet will make little or no difference in your weight, but a teaspoon of sugar may determine whether or not you eat your oatmeal. For this reason, the McDougall Program allows small amounts of sugar on the surface of food. “

McDougall also has two kinds of Teriyaki Sauce on his list of acceptable package foods.

Letha
Letha

Postby Kai » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:03 pm

It's funny what a bump will do for a topic!
Is that part of the list list of acceptable packaged foods for MWL though? How does that bit of it work?
Kai

Postby Letha » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:21 pm

Kai wrote:It's funny what a bump will do for a topic!
Is that part of the list list of acceptable packaged foods for MWL though? How does that bit of it work?

Good question. Yes he does list San-J International Teriyaki Sauce in the MWL program book, but the section starts with a warning about salt and preservatives and directions to use sparingly. Plus I’ve never seen that brand of Teriyaki sauce in the store and I couldn’t find a reference to it on the internet so I don’t know if it’s even available anymore. His on-line list is probably more up to date. I think this book is like 13 years old.
Letha
Letha

Postby Chumly » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:54 pm

I've heard calorie-free sweeteners can hamper weight loss. Has anyone else read this? I still drink some diet soda, I get sick of drinking water all the time.
Chumly

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:15 pm

I believe those studies are on folks who are semi dieting but not changing their normal eating patters. You know SAD dieters. Now diet soda isn't healthy by any means. But I drink one or two a day.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program