Mary's Mini : rice or potatoes better for weight loss?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Mary's Mini : rice or potatoes better for weight loss?

Postby chewy » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:23 pm

just curious if you find rice or potatoes better for you personally for weight loss?i find either one seems good....
chewy

Postby proverbs31woman » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:44 pm

Chewy!

I've found that either one works. I started MM with potatoes and lost 5 lbs. the first week, but I think it was mostly water weight, and by eating rice as my chosen starch, I lost between 1 and 3 lbs. every week.

Are you still following MM?

I've stopped and now follow the MWL, but I'm thinking about going back to it because my nibbling has gotten out of control.
proverbs31woman

Postby Casey » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:42 pm

I've found potatoes work best for me. People are always surprised to hear this, as many SAD eaters think potatoes are fattening. We always laugh when I say "I lost a buttload of weight eating potatoes!" I do notice I gain weight when I eat rice. But then, maybe it's because I eat too much rice? When I bake a potato, I bake A potato. One potato. When I make rice, I make a rice cooker full!!! LOL
Casey

Postby Autumn » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:09 am

I do better on potatoes for a few reasons. Rice seems to irritate my joints and I love rice so I tend to eat too much of it. I like potatoes too but its easier for me to limit them.
Autumn

Rice potatoe

Postby storm20 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:14 pm

is all very interesting how certain starches make people feel,
Will keep an eye out with myself,

I feel great the 1st time I go into McDougall way of eating, then go a bad chest infection am over that now, still kept to the MWE

I like the hash brown potaotes, I just shred them and cook on high on a pan
storm20

Postby Carol » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:52 pm

I'm doing MWL, not Mary's Mini, and I eat both rice and potatoes. But something Autumn said just hit me. Rice, especially brown rice, is acid producing (white rice less acid producing) and potatoes are alkaline producing. So it makes sense that potatoes are better for inflammation-related issues and would make the joints feel better. Thanks, Autumn, for raising that issue. :-D

Lately, I've been on a smashed potato kick. I do a 50/50 blend of sweet potatoes (Not Yams!) and Yukon Golds. It's become a breakfast staple during the work week with green beans added.
Carol

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program