Workout Challenge?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Are you interested in a workout challenge?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:46 pm

Yes!
88%
No!
13%

Total votes : 8

Workout Challenge?

Postby kpolninja » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:46 pm

Hi Everybody!!!
It seems like the challenge threads for MWL and MM are really helpful because they give us somewhere to post our accomplishments, tell sombody when we need help getting on track, exchanging recipies, and all the other great things we do as a community of McDougallers.

Working out is the hardest thing for me...I like to say that I don't have time...even though I know I watched about 3 hours of TV yesterday in addition to my 5 hours at the library. I'm sure I could have given 30 minutes of my day up to excercise.

I thought a workout challenge would be great, maybe going between now and Christamas? I just can't imagine that any of us really don't have 30 minutes 5 times a week to spare...and even if you take into account the time it takes to put on work out clothes, shower, grab a towel and a water bottle, set up your treadmill, find your rollerblades, or whatever else slows you down it would still maybe take a total of 90 minutes out of your entire day from the start of the act to the finish right?

I'm not sure of the best kind of challenge...maybe who can rack up the most minutes, just posting your days of work outs, sharing what you did to get in your time...What does everybody think?

During this crazy time of year with all of the tempting treats it might be helpful!
kpolninja

Good idea...

Postby walker1 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:28 pm

kpolninja,
I think it's a great idea -- I am interested but wouldn't be able to join and participate until after December 15. I'd like to up the intensity of my exercise.

Maybe you could post this in the exercise forum? I know they have ongoing step challenges over there.

Nancy
walker1

Postby LauraA » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:32 pm

maybe the exercise forum is a good idea - I'd rather people just decide their own goals, then post how they are doing. Everyone is at such different levels, ages, amounts of time etc. I know that I need to do 30 minutes 5 x per week, and if I were posting about it, I think that I would be more accountable. Let us know what you decide. Take care, LauraA
LauraA

Postby mairead11 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:16 pm

I'm up for a workout challenge! =)
mairead11

Postby proverbs31woman » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:00 pm

You're always full of good ideas, kpolninja! I agree with LauraA that it is good for everyone to come up with their own personal amount of time. I would like to devote 4 - 5 days a week for an hour each session.
proverbs31woman

Postby Rita » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:39 pm

SEE BELOW POST.
Last edited by Rita on Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rita

Postby kpolninja » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:05 pm

The only reason I posted it here is because I think some people avoid the fitness forum... :D I don't know how to move it, but I'm fine either way.

I'm going to start today! My goal is 30 minutes of something 5 times a week and 100 situps. I think I will just walk on the treadmill tonight to get started.
kpolninja

Postby Rita » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:22 pm

Thanks for posting this. I'm all excited about joining in.

No time like the present to begin loggin in. I'm doing physical therapy at the moment for my back and the therapist gives me a real workout, both there and some to do at home. I'll do this till I'm discharged. Hopefully it'll be on 12/5. Then I'll go back to the gym.

So, my goal until 12/5 is to walk 4 times a week for 30 minutes. On alternate days I'll use the recumbent bike for 20 minutes. Also daily leg and tummy exercises the PT gives me that takes about 30 minutes.
Rita

Postby kpolninja » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:25 am

I worked out! 30 minutes and 100 situps. I walked on the treadmil on the incline interval, it goes between .5 and 3.5 on an incline on level 1 and I walked at 3-3.5.

Remember, a 30 minute walk around the block with a friend or a loved one is still excercise! 30 mintues of playing airplane with your little one is still excercise! 30 minutes dancing to Britney Spears is still excercise (you could pick a different artist :) )

Let's Move!
kpolninja

Postby LauraA » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:49 pm

I thought that I posted here this morning to say that I'm in, but I can't find my post on here. Maybe it didn't post, or maybe it went onto the wrong thread. Anyway, what I had said was that beginning today, I would do 30 minutes 5 times a week - I'll do walking, biking, Curves or elliptical. I was already dressed this morning, and busy, but I decided that I had to refigure my day and fit in a walk. I had several relatives arriving today, so after I picked up my daughter at the airport at 5PM, then we went on a 30 minute walk right before we went out for dinner. We had fun, the dog loved it, and now I'm off to a good start for this new thread.
Kpolninja, thanks so much for this idea! It might be a good idea to post a message on the workout thread and the lounge thread just to tell people about this thread. Take care, LauraA
LauraA

I'm in!

Postby Love the Lorax » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:25 pm

This is a grand idea! I'll join in. Today I walked with some jogging for 45 minutes. I want to exercise 5 - 6 days a week. Sometimes with videotapes, sometimes outside weather permitting.
Love the Lorax

Postby Rita » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:48 am

Had an unexpected day yesterday at the ER with my SIL. So never got to exercise. It's to be about 50 degrees today, so my plan is go to the park to walk 30 minutes today. It also takes 30 minutes to do all the exercises the PT gave me. So - 1 hour total!
Rita

30 minutes so far today - NT

Postby Love the Lorax » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:21 am

:)
Love the Lorax

Postby mairead11 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:08 am

I went for a quick walk this morning, but am planning on hitting the gym this afternoon for an hour or so [leaving work early! Yeah!]. Probably will use treadmill/elliptical.

I also vow to get one hour [at least] of exercise in tomorrow also! :-D
Happy Thanksgiving!
mairead11

Postby kpolninja » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:58 pm

Great job everybody! It is awesome to see everybody moving!

This is my super challenge for the week...I know it is going to be crazy tomorrow but try to find the time for 30 minutes of movement or 3 sets of something....what ever you can do.

For example...after your dinners take a 30 minute walk with the family.
or when you wake up do a set of situps, while your in the kitchen do a set of squats or lunges, and before you go to bed do some push ups on the ground or against the wall. Don't work to hard, just a little something so you can say you excercised!

:-P
kpolninja

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program