what to use to thicken gravy?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

what to use to thicken gravy?

Postby singingbird » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:16 pm

I've accumulated a number of veggie/vegan cookbooks, and at the moment I'm trying to figure out how to make some of my favorite recipes MWL-friendly. I have an absolutely scrumptious chickpea gravy recipe (Vegan With a Vengeance, anyone?) that I like to have over potatoes or rice...but, of course, it calls for flour mixed with water as a thickener.

Since flour products aren't allowed on MWL...any ideas as to what I could use instead? I've been able to work out the other substitutions needed, but I'm a little stumped on this one. I've never tried a flourless diet before. O_o
singingbird

Postby Letha » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:20 pm

The MWL book has a recipe for Broccoli Mushroom sauce that uses cornstarch as a thickener. Will cornstarch work?
Letha
Letha

Postby RRC » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:39 am

I love that chick pea gravy from VWAV. I like to use chick pea flour instead of the wheat flour and it works perfectly!
RRC

Postby xetaprime » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:15 am

That's the second time I've heard about Chick Pea Flour in one week. I love the idea!
xetaprime

Postby singingbird » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:48 am

I'm sure cornstarch would work. I'm a little surprised that cornstarch is allowed but flour isn't...it seems like cornstarch would be forbidden on MWL for pretty much the same reasons flour is - it's ground up into a powder, which would probably have all the same effects on metabolism and insulin levels that flour does. Does anyone know the rationale for this?

(Yeah, I'm a geek. I read all the "science behind this diet" chapters several times. LOL)

I don't know what agar is, but I'll be sure to find out. As for "blended potatoes"...I've never heard that phrase, but I'm assuming you mean potatoes pureed in a blender? Or something?

All good ideas. I like having options. :) But I am puzzled about the cornstarch thing.
singingbird

Postby mairead11 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:20 pm

Hey singingbird! I made that punk rock chickpea gravy too [still enjoying it!], and I didn't use the flour either, but used a tablespoon of arrowroot mixed with water, and that did the trick. I don't see much mention of arrowroot here, but I use it as a "healthier" option to cornstarch.

I read somehere [so long ago can't remember the specifics I'm afraid] that cornstarch may increase blood sugar, so it's best avoided. However, we can sprinkle sugar on oatmeal, so perhaps by the same reasoning cornstarch is accepted here?
mairead11

Postby singingbird » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:30 pm

mairead11 wrote:I read somehere [so long ago can't remember the specifics I'm afraid] that cornstarch may increase blood sugar, so it's best avoided. However, we can sprinkle sugar on oatmeal, so perhaps by the same reasoning cornstarch is accepted here?

That makes sense. 1/4 cup of cornstarch to thicken an entire batch of gravy is different from, say, eating a bagel for breakfast, a subway sandwich for lunch, and then pasta for dinner - all which I had been doing regularly. The whole "no flour" thing is without a doubt the biggest adjustment I'm going to have to deal with. Replacing my bagels with oatmeal and my pasta with rice and potatoes is making me a little sad. Not TOO sad, because I like those things too, but I have to admit I love my pasta.

I went to the food co-op I shop at and, believe it or not, couldn't find cornstarch! I ended up buying "potato starch," which I assume is exactly the same thing except derived from potatoes. But if I end up making this regularly, I'll try the arrowroot next. Is it really healthier? I don't know anything about it.
singingbird

Postby Jan Tz » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:37 pm

I have tried cornstarch and it works. Once I emailed Dr. McDougall about whether it was okay to use for MWL (I think I was adapting a recipe for someone) and he said it was fine.
Jan Tz

Postby momof4 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:14 pm

I found the recipe here, at recipezaar:
http://www.recipezaar.com/Punkrock-Chic ... avy-304633

A couple questions--does it still thicken without using any oil? Is it good w/o the nutritional yeast?

It looks like you could make it as a meal if you don't mash the beans for a gravy. Sounds good--thanks for mentioning it!
momof4

Postby singingbird » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:20 am

It does thicken without the oil. The recipe only calls for a small amount of oil to saute the onions and garlic in. The main thickening agent was the flour.

So, to make it MWL-friendly, I saute the onions/garlic in soy sauce instead of oil, leave out the mustard seeds (I may shake some mustard powder in to get the taste)...and since I can replace the flour with cornstarch (or potato starch, LOL) - voila! MWL-legal punkrock chickpea gravy.

This makes me very happy. :D
singingbird

Postby mairead11 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:55 am

Jan Tz, thanks for posting about getting the arrowroot approval! That's nice to know it's acceptable.

momof4, I totally agree with you in having this be a meal! It would be delicious on it's own with brown rice...or potatoes...or as a soup...it's SO good! Also, I did taste it before adding the nutritional yeast, and it was incredible! So if you don't like/can't find nutritional yeast, it's still fantastic. I like having the chickpeas mashed slightly, I think the mashed ones add to the texture of the sauce, and leaving some whole/partially whole gives something to chew on. This recipe is so good, I think I have to put it on my "guest dinner recipes" rotation.

singingbird, are mustard seeds not MWL friendly? I used them assuming they'd be okay, but will leave out in future if they're not approved. Also, if your food co-op is anything like mine, they won't stock cornstarch, but you will find it at any chain grocery store. At your co-op you will be able to find arrowroot, probably in the bulk section of dried herbs/spices.
mairead11

Postby RRC » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:33 pm

I still think you should try the chick pea flour. It really adds a nice flavour, ups the nutritional content and work perfectly to thicken the gravy. I don't like the taste of the mustard seeds so I leave them out. I think they are fine for MWL though. The gravy tastes great without the nutritional yeast as well.
RRC

Postby mairead11 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:22 pm

RRC—do you use the same quantity of chickpea flour in place of reg flour? I want to try this next! As arrowroot only thickens, and doesn't add any nutritional value or flavour [at least I don't think it has any nutritional value].

:-D
mairead11

Postby Jan Tz » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:48 pm

Mairead11: the approval was for cornstarch. I never asked Dr. McDougall about arrowroot. Is it the same thing? I've never used arrowroot.
Jan Tz

Postby RRC » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:19 pm

Yes, same amount chick pea flour as regular flour.
RRC

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program